Waterboarding, is it torture? Should it be allowed?

Is this a form of torture? And was allowable to submit another human to it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Abaddon

Deity
By request:

Repost this thread with a functioning poll. please do :) (as I have stated, I got the dumbs)

Waterboarding is back within the media spotlight as the detainees that its has been used upon are now standing trial. Some of the evidence against them was optained from confession following waterboarding.

Is this a form of torture? And is it allowable to submit another human to it?

Its easily torture, not even close. Drowning is by far one of the more horrible deaths, so simulating it is most definitely a form of torture. I honestly think it has no place in civilization.

It is torture and hence it should never be allowable. Anyone who thinks it should be is a bloody inhumane prick. ;)

It is torture. I would not want this done to myself and would not want it done to another person.

thank ye for reposting it with a bit more CFC savvy.

torture.

Is torture, not allowable

Great, here we go again. How about it doesn't matter if it's torture or not, we shouldn't do it because it doesn't work?

Great, here we go again. How about it doesn't matter if it's torture or not, we shouldn't do it because it doesn't work?

How does it not work ?

That is, if the United States wants to maintain/regain the moral high ground, it makes little sense to use waterboarding. We're practically handing the opponent rhetorical ammunition. It's rather hypocritical to claim that American policy is to "spread freedom and democracy" when, at the same time, we condone borderline torturous methods at Gitmo.

Illram, why not give us your definition?

That is, if the United States wants to maintain/regain the moral high ground, it makes little sense to use waterboarding. We're practically handing the opponent rhetorical ammunition. It's rather hypocritical to claim that American policy is to "spread freedom and democracy" when, at the same time, we condone borderline torturous methods at Gitmo.

I agree. We can't change hearts and minds and proclaim that our enlightened selves are not the savages that we are fighting when we're plunging into this highly questionable act. Even if it isn't the same as cutting off heads and the like, does that really make us look as if we have morals on our side?

No, it's nowhere near what our enemies do, but that doesn't mean we should meet them halfway, either.

How does it not work ?

Can you prove to me it does?

I've said this a number of times in the zillion waterboarding threads around here. It doesn't work because a) no one has proven methods like this have given us actionable intelligence that has prevented terrorist attacks, and even if they had and I missed it, it doesn't work because b) it lowers our stature among the rest of the world and makes it easier for people to legitimize committing terrorist attacks against the US. That's my theory in a nutshell.

And for the record I do believe it's torture and I do believe it's wrong. I feel that arguing definitions of torture, however, only serves those who seek to expand the definition.

How does it not work ?

The Republican Frontrunner, John McCain was tortured in the Hanoi Hilton.

Instead of giving the names of his comrades, he gave the names of the Green Bay Packers' Offensive Line.

Top Bottom