[We the People] Bug reporting

No problem. I am glad if I can help.
It always annoys me when I have invested a lot of time in a game and then can no longer play it because of a bug ...

Hi all

My game is crashing at year 1564 after END of Turn. Save is attached.
I did tried to load few turns back and replay again rushing congresman. But that did not help.
I also tried to cancel all deals I have with every other nation/indians, and to declare war to all nations/indians. Also tried to enable quikt move and quick att/defense it did not help. Even sent the save to friend to try on his much boosted machine, same crash happend to him.
Was able to play another game with no issues from start till end with having all animations enabled and no trouble.
However this one does not work what ever I try. :(
Can you check please?
Thanks for effort.

Attachments

• Save.ColonizationSave
    657.7 KB · Views: 24
Hello Belborg,

I've checked your save game. I had the same issue, game crashes after the turn ended.
It seems to be a bug, but I can't fix it.

Has something to do then the AI unload/move/attack/... troops.
upload_2021-9-1_12-16-45.png

The best is to start a new game ...

Thanks for checking and effort Raubwuerger. Appreciate it.
Will give it a try 15-20 turns back. If same crash happen will start from scratch.

I have found a bug- Portugal was in war with indians and looks like in turn where they took founding father Francisco Pizzaro and should get Conquistador, indians done something (maybe conquered main city) and deploy of unit failed. I did replay and forced Portugal not to go to war with indians. Thanks for check it helped to understand the issue.

Hi all

My game is crashing at year 1564 after END of Turn. Save is attached.
I did tried to load few turns back and replay again rushing congresman. But that did not help.
I also tried to cancel all deals I have with every other nation/indians, and to declare war to all nations/indians. Also tried to enable quikt move and quick att/defense it did not help. Even sent the save to friend to try on his much boosted machine, same crash happend to him.
Was able to play another game with no issues from start till end with having all animations enabled and no trouble.
However this one does not work what ever I try. :(
Can you check please?
Thanks for effort.
Hi, this appears to be a known issue and there is a workaround that at least lets the turn pass without crashing (tested and confirmed: no crash, game continues). The temporary workaround is in the development branch of the repository. You would need to compile the source for the dll in order to play using the development branch version. Mind you, the workaround is not a fix, it might cause other side effects but at least you could continue without a crash. If you cannot compile yourself but would want to keep playing (and see if there will be a crash later, this would be interesting info for developers/modders I guess), I could provide you with the dll.

Hi all,

same error then Belbog. Game is crashing at the end of turn april 1536
to load earlier save games dont help.

its already my second try to 3.01 and the second game i cant finish :((( for my NEW BAVARIAN Empire to lead to shine :)

(fyi i changed the gamespeed for longer gameplay to but this shouldn't matter if im right because i did it on 2.9 too)
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>1</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>4000</iTurnsPerIncrement>

oh and nightinggale gave me the developement version. but again crash to desktop.

Any ideas ? Thx for help !!

Attachments

• Pn. Chr.-1536-April.ColonizationSave
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
Hi all,

its already my second try to 3.01 and the second game i cant finish :((( for my NEW BAVARIAN Empire to lead to shine :)

(fyi i changed the gamespeed for longer gameplay to but this shouldn't matter if im right because i did it on 2.9 too)
<GameTurnInfo>

oh and nightinggale gave me the developement version. but again crash to desktop.

Hi

I had 2 CDT in my game. Both were related to Founding fathers. First was when Portugals took Founding father that gave them Conquistador but at same turn looks like Indians too they capital and unit deployment to capital failed (that is what I think happend)
Second was when Portugals took Founding Father that gave them 1 small ship, but their capital city is not connected to SEA and unit deployment probably also failed this time.
From that point Im taking all founding fathers that provide any unit to any nation. :) Just as precaution.

Did try to load your save but had CDT as well.
This is what I did in my game : load 10, or even 15 turns back and re-play again, trying to play much different game then before. Rushing Founding fathers and closely watching what other nations are doing.
On second CDT I did 2 re-plays to found what is the issue. By chance Portugals decided to take different FF so that is how I found out what happend.
Its pain to re-play I know. (Im doing micro-management mayself so know what Im saying :) ) But its better than to play from start again.
There is risk you will never found out what it the issue. I always try to disable all deals I have with everybody, to declare war to everybody, to force peace if any other nation have with someone. To force indiand to attack nation they dont like. And do things I would not do in normal game.
My friend had CDT when he was fighting Dutch, as they declared independence. At some point he had his units together with Dutch king units and something went wrong. Think he replayed and attacked the Dutch King as well :) (not sure if that is possible, but that is what he told me heh) . He replayed and was able to solve it. But as I said dont think he was exactly sure what was the issue.

Hope this helped for your frustration.
See that you already have rejected much of FF, hopefully your issue is not with FF. :(
Good luck

Hi all,

<GameTurnInfo>

Cannot replicate the CTD. I loaded the game with development branch (debug mode even), skipped the units and ended turn. There were assert failures but no crash. I did not edit xmls though. Are you sure you used the development branch dll?

Attached is the savegame one turn later. Year is wrong in the filename since I did not edit the xmls. One turn later nonetheless!

Attachments

• Pecher AD-1650-January.ColonizationSave
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
Thx Belbog & Flavius for your help !

@ Belgbog
many many times i loaded aprox 10 turns back and changed some decisions but always had the same error on april 1536.
On weekend i will try to declare all nations and indians war, hopefully it will work.

@FlaviusBelisarius
i tried your savegame. yea its 1 month later but once again i cant continues playing, at end of turn i have the same disconnect.
And yes im pretty sure to used the dev. dll.
i installed github and strawberry did all steps that was written .
"
Whenever you need to update, click "fetch origin" After that open We-The-People/Project Files Double click Compile-Release.bat

A command line window will open and the DLL will be compiled. If it ends with copying or claiming not to need copying the DLL, then you are done getting the new version."

i tried your savegame. yea its 1 month later but once again i cant continues playing, at end of turn i have the same disconnect.
And yes im pretty sure to used the dev. dll.
i installed github and strawberry did all steps that was written .
"
Whenever you need to update, click "fetch origin" After that open We-The-People/Project Files Double click Compile-Release.bat

A command line window will open and the DLL will be compiled. If it ends with copying or claiming not to need copying the DLL, then you are done getting the new version."
I tested again and I could play yet another turn. Something is certainly not the same with your game. I triple-checked and compiled release instead of debug. Still, I can continue your savegame 2+ turns no issue.

So yes, you seem to have compiled the dll according to what you wrote. My only doubt is if you did compile the development branch code. That is not the default I believe. You need to explicitly switch branches to get development version. Or download manually after selecting the branch from github web interface. And, you need to make sure your savegame loads the development version of WTP mod. If you did not overwrite your normal WTP mod folder, you need to use the savegame mod editor tool to change the savegame to use the other mod folder (development mod you just got from github):
https://we-the-people-civ4col-mod.github.io/DeveloperNotes/SavegameModRenamingTool/index.html

Since the game runs for me, we can certainly make it run for you, I am sure.

I have attached release variant of the dll I use without issues.

Attachments

• CvGameCoreDLL.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
Holy horsehocky you are my today´s hero !!!
After replacing the gamecoredll im able to end up this turn. :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Dont know why this manual replace work other than the automatic. perhaps i was doing something wrong ? rly dunno.:confused:

But at the end of the day it doesnt care. More important is to found a solution.

BIG THX to you.
You made my day !

My next City will be called Flavius:lol:

Holy **** you are my today´s hero !!!
After replacing the gamecoredll im able to end up this turn. :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Dont know why this manual replace work other than the automatic. perhaps i was doing something wrong ? rly dunno.:confused:

But at the end of the day it doesnt care. More important is to found a solution.

BIG THX to you.
You made my day !

My next City will be called Flavius:lol:
I'm glad it helped! Must be super frustrating not being able to continue playing a game with a lot of time invested. It's also good to confirm that the issue in 3.0.1 is causing this much trouble - so that it will be fixed for the next release.

Hy all,
There is also problem with great generals and admirals that game is crashing.
I have game where Dutch declared independence, lost their capital (king get it) with my help, and after 1-2 turns they get great general... game crashed.
I resolve it fighting harder with them to get general before they lose capital city.
So, probably crashing of game depends on deploying "special troops" to capital cities, and they are conquered or blocked or....

@viktorv
Thanks for reporting. :thumbsup:
But please provide a savegame when reporting a bug.
Speculations what could theorietically have caused a CTD do not help.

So, probably crashing of game depends on deploying "special troops" to capital cities, and they are conquered or blocked or....
Actually I have checked that again and the logic captures that error case of "No City" when it tries to spawn the Great General / Great Admirals.
Thus this can not cause a CTD. It would have been noticed already years ago, since that logic has not been modified since RaR.

I am really sure that "no City" itself can not trigger a CTD when a Great General is spawned.
But maybe there is e.g. an issue in the AI logic of a Great General if it does not have a City or no Units it can attach to.

@Nightinggale , @FlaviusBelisarius or any of the others:
You guys can check these 2 methods for the spawning of a Great General.
(But as I said, the issue might be buried deeper - e.g. in the AI logic - if it is related to Generals / Admirals at all.)

void CvPlayer::setCombatExperience(int iExperience)
void CvPlayer::createGreatGeneral(UnitTypes eGreatGeneralUnit, bool bIncrementExperience, int iX, int iY)

Last edited:
I might research the issue (or any other) with a savegame and instructions on how to replicate the CTD. I have full debugging capabilities set up now so definite answers can be obtained for reasons behind crashes. Nevertheless, speculation in my mind itself does not ever hurt if a savegame with replication instructions is provided. So keep on reporting issues and speculate on the causes if you wish - just provide the dev team the pieces of the puzzle they need (savegame that causes a crash 100% reliably).

I am having a similar CTD issue around 1526

Attachments

• Champlain 09-14-21 AD-1499-September.ColonizationSave
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 15
Top Bottom