Welcome to Giant Earth Map (GEM)!

I tried to download an earlier version of this a few months ago, and it told me that it was not able to open the file, even though I had WinRAR. So, I tried again, I still can't open, even though I just downloaded the program again. I have WinRAR on my desktop (which happens to run XP), and this mod installs fine on it there. But this laptop (with Vista), and has WinRAR, will not open the file when I download it. It doesn't even appear in the /mods folder of BTS, though I've downloaded the mod several times. Does anyone know what's going on?

Edit: Tried to download it onto my desktop, it didn't show up, despite saying it downloaded. I'm thinking it's a download problem, but I don't get why it's happening. Whatever it is, it's been going on for a few months.

I am playing the 1860 AD scenario with the 36 civs set up. I have made this into it's own stand alone mod. I have a friend playing it and he says defensive pacts do not work. I know defensive pacts come out with Military Tradition, and I never unmodded or changed this, I only added to the tech tree. Has anyone had any problems with defensive pacts not working? In my RevDCM options defensive pacts are turned on, but I am not sure of an easy way to test this. Tried to get it to work and can't, how do you turn on defensive pacts?

Hello Genghis Kai.

I am inspired by your GEM scenarios and really love the concept of them but I just can't get into Civ properly without Rise of Mankind mod, so I thought I would try and convert your GEM 200BC scenario for RoM.

I have completed it but I am only using it for my personal use at the moment, but I see Cheesemijit has started a thread for converting Mods to play with RoM and I hoped you would allow me to post my converted scenario for the community to use if they want to? I've not play tested it properly so I'm sure there will be a few issues but if you say it's ok I'll post it so others can play it and playtest it too!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Why are defensive pacts not available when playing the mod? How do you enable them?

Sorry, posted rubbish before checking anything. :)

Why are defensive pacts not available when playing the mod? How do you enable them?

Hey Nokmirt, just a thought, are you trying to sign defensive pacts while you or the Civ you're trying to sign with is at war with a 3rd party?

If so then Defensive Pacts can't be signed.

Hey Nokmirt, just a thought, are you trying to sign defensive pacts while you or the Civ you're trying to sign with is at war with a 3rd party?

If so then Defensive Pacts can't be signed.

No. I don't even see them show up in the diplomacy menu. Defensive pacts are in the tech tree under military tradition, but for some reason they are not working and I'm not sure why.

No. I don't even see them show up in the diplomacy menu. Defensive pacts are in the tech tree under military tradition, but for some reason they are not working and I'm not sure why.

Sounds like the annoying problem I'm having with Islam and Christianity being founded before their prereq tech is discovered. Happens without fail in 180BC in my Rise of Mankind conversion of GEM 200BC scenario.

Can't for the life of me figure out why? I have tried turning on/off choose religion. I have taken away all prereq techs for the other civ's for all religions? Still happens? Wierd!

Sounds like the annoying problem I'm having with Islam and Christianity being founded before their prereq tech is discovered. Happens without fail in 180BC in my Rise of Mankind conversion of GEM 200BC scenario.

Can't for the life of me figure out why? I have tried turning on/off choose religion. I have taken away all prereq techs for the other civ's for all religions? Still happens? Wierd!

Defence Pacts are enabled.

I just went into the world builder and had a go at the diplomacy.

I made peace between my nation and all other nations (INCLUDING MINOR NATIONS) and between another nation and all other nations (INCLUDING MINOR NATIONS) and set the relation between both of us to 100.

And the option for defensive pact was there and they happily accepted.

So i guess we need to be at peace with minor nations.
Let me try it again. This was sent to me by BenGee171 this morning. Oh and you do not havbe to be at peace with minor nations for this to work.

Tell me what are the requirements for permanent alliances? I am going to add them to a further tech, in the next(3rd update to our mod).

how can i play gem 6.3 with the next war mod techs enabled? they were on an earlier release of gem...

Genghis,

I try to play the 1860 scen. in epic speed in stead of marathon. I do this by removing the
FORCECONTROL_SPEED line in de wbs file. This used to work fine. Since the 6.3 version this
does not work anymore. (all units are gone, and everyone has 10000 points)

Do you know why this happens?

Genghis,

I try to play the 1860 scen. in epic speed in stead of marathon. I do this by removing the
FORCECONTROL_SPEED line in de wbs file. This used to work fine. Since the 6.3 version this
does not work anymore. (all units are gone, and everyone has 10000 points)

Do you know why this happens?

The mod is too big.

Nokmirt,

When you say the mod is too big, does that mean there's no way this scenario can be played on another speed than marathon?

Is there no (easy) trick around this?

Nokmirt,

When you say the mod is too big, does that mean there's no way this scenario can be played on another speed than marathon?

Is there no (easy) trick around this?

Actually you should be able to play on a different speed, however, the scenario and mod is set up to play on marathon speed. In the WorldBuilder Save file did you adjust the game speed to Epic? I would imagine you can change the speed, not sure why you would not be able too.

I know this, when they went to fifty civs my turn times went down the toilet, so I play an older 36 civ version. We have been modding the 1860 AD scenario, and we are calling it 1861 AD. We have made several changes thus far, and lately added some new resources. Even still we have 38 civs, and the game runs beautifully. We do have it set up for marathon speed.

Nokmirt,

I already tried to set the speed to epic in the wbs file. That didn't work.
Maybe it only has to do with the size, and there's nothing i can do about that.

Is your own mod, 1861, somewhere on this site? I'd like to try it out, sounds interesting.

Can anybody tell me, why mod crushes before it even starts? :S

What kind of crash? Where does it crash? Sounds like you are not patched correctly with BTS.

Antmanbroooks: Maybe. It just sais, that there is some kind of error, and if I want to send it to the Microsoft. I don't know, what could be wrong. Maybe this is making problems, patch? Maybe

i have always been a big fan of the GEM mod, in the past i have used the map in my own custom mods. this latest release has a lot of features i like, BUT i want to incorporate the Next War Mod into the GEM package and to do so i would need the source code for the GEM mod. i am a software engineer and c/c++ is what i do on a daily basis at work.

could you please release the SDK so that ppl like me can expand on your work and keep the GEM project alive if in fact u r leaving the CIV community?

Thanks

BeastMaster

Top Bottom