Welcome to Giant Earth Map (GEM)!

I am still struggling to get a copy of Civ5. And I just find out yesterday that my laptop's graphics card is not capable to run Civ5! I am quite surprised since I can use my laptop to play StarCraft2.

I do not anticipate to upgrade or get another computer in the near future. So unless I can find out a way to get around the graphics card problem, I would be joining the civ5 modding, unfortunately.

Well, you may know that Civ 5 has a utility to convert a Civ 4 map to a Civ 5 one. It doesn't work with giant maps yet, but I would be happy to convert GEM to run on Civ 5 once it's fixed - if I have your permission, of course.

After 20-30 minutes i always get the error: bad memory allocation. On huge maps i play on max resolution, all details on high max anti-aliasing. Even in late game the game goes without a glitch.
On GEM reduced resolution to the absolute minimum, but it still crashes. What can i do?

(Great map btw, and great 1940ad scenario!)

D.

After 20-30 minutes i always get the error: bad memory allocation. On huge maps i play on max resolution, all details on high max anti-aliasing. Even in late game the game goes without a glitch.
On GEM reduced resolution to the absolute minimum, but it still crashes. What can i do?

(Great map btw, and great 1940ad scenario!)

D.

There is a fix for this from following the instructions linked in post 3. This helped for me, however you'll need more than 2gb RAM and also maybe 64 bit.

I really love this map, but I just managed to d/l a BTS version for mac, and I can't get the mod to load. I start loading the mod, and I get two xml load error screens:

XML Load Error
Failed loading XML file xml\text\revolutiontext_civ4gametext.xml. [Aspyrbuild.depot/civ4/source BTS/Win/FirePlace/Direworks/Win32/FXml.cpp:140]
Error parsing XML FIle -
File: xml/revolutiontext_civ4gametext.xml
Reason: (null)
Line: 0,0
Source: (null)

I then click OK and I get this message:

XML load Error
LoadXML call failed for xml\text\revolutiontext_civ4gametext.xml
Current ML file is: xml/text/inquisitor_civ4gametext.xml

GEM is my bread and butter! If you could help me get this to work it would be a xmas miracle...

Thanks!

Is there any chance that you are going to add some functions from RFC? E.G. pre-named terrain-tiles for raising a city or that civs have regions in the world where they are more likely to settle than other regions (e.g. UK in north america and india, ESP in southern america...)...etc.

Genghis_Kai: Nice map.. can u please make NON-MOD version?

to map: maybe change winter forests on all Middle East.

If your modding again, M. Kai, Please, Please, Please--merge 6.3 with the latest REV and AI. I have tried too, but I just make a mess.

How do I combine the Blue Marble mod with this mod? You just give a link to the BM thread and don't explain what to do with it.

I would sure like to see someone make the earth start in its current state... So I can play from there... I think you would have to disable every victory condition aside from diplomacy and domination, buy diplomacy even seems exploitable.

But Russia never happens right at all, Germany and France usually expand faster... I dont want that I want current state earth!

Spent a lot of hours just getting USA taken and letting Montezuma be Mexico and the Iroquois be canadians... It would be better current state for sure.

I would sure like to see someone make the earth start in its current state... So I can play from there... I think you would have to disable every victory condition aside from diplomacy and domination, buy diplomacy even seems exploitable.

But Russia never happens right at all, Germany and France usually expand faster... I dont want that I want current state earth!

Spent a lot of hours just getting USA taken and letting Montezuma be Mexico and the Iroquois be canadians... It would be better current state for sure.

This is now released, here... http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10422908#post10422908

;)

GEM Version 6.4 is released!!
(After almost 18 months!)

Is a long time I haven't been back here as I've been busy with other things. But finally, I have some free time in the last two weeks.

I am quite disappointed with Civ 5 as many of you do :sad: All I wanted to play now is the good old Civ 4. I spent my time to work on GEM a bit. I wonder how many people are still around to be interested in this new release of GEM. If you do, could you please make a reply to show your existence and support? ;)

still around, actually began to play a few GEM games last few weeks, after playing alot of fallout 3 :)

will have a look at 6.4

welcome back :)

you changed unique units back, not sure what effect that is like, where there some problems with their abilities?

not sure i like the movment 2, but again i play on maraton, ancient resources normally, so think the basic movement of 1 is fine, as you can get around rather quickly, even on that big map of yours.

you changed unique units back, not sure what effect that is like, where there some problems with their abilities?

not sure i like the movment 2, but again i play on maraton, ancient resources normally, so think the basic movement of 1 is fine, as you can get around rather quickly, even on that big map of yours.

Good to see you are still around :)

I changed back because I feel that some of those unique units might be a bit too powerful for their age. German panzers, English redcoats were really too great to use.

For changing base movement to 2, I don't know whether it is best, but I just want to try it out. Tank was 3 times the speed of normal units which is too much benefited. I never need to build land units other than tanks in my ww2 scenarios. So now it is back to 4/2 = 2 times the base speed which hopefully would be more balanced.

Basically, my ideas of the changes this time is purely for game balance. Looking forward to hear more feedback.

After playing CIV V since it came out with all the patches, I have decided to return to the better CIV IV BTS and your excellent map. So please do keep up the good work and keep the base versions (non-scenario). I like playing Hotseat using that with a friend. Thank you!!

Top Bottom