Welcome to Giant Earth Map (GEM)!

I like the GEM maps, so keep coming back to them, still i do like New Dawn as well, just its so slow compared to GEM :)

about balance, perhaps something should be done about the romans, because unless i make their main stone in the north, rome will always end up with great wall and pyramids, which is quite annoying.

After playing CIV V since it came out with all the patches, I have decided to return to the better CIV IV BTS and your excellent map. So please do keep up the good work and keep the base versions (non-scenario). I like playing Hotseat using that with a friend. Thank you!!

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree with you on Civ 5.

Base versions, do you mean the plain maps or the mod features?

I don't think the maps need any more work, unless you do have any suggestions. But for the mod features, I wish I could add some of the Civ 5 features in GEM (like limiting units per tile, units per resource). These are the only good features I like in Civ5. Anything else in Civ5 is just worse than Civ4.

Oh by base maps I just meant your plain maps that are not scenario based, aka your ancient and modern resource allocations maps.

I did give Civ V a very long run for its money, I just was not happy with it. If the AI could handle the one-unit per hex then it would definitely go a long way to fixing it. Plus I did miss the expansive maps of Civ IV, like yours. I would rather have that expanse than the graphics any day. Unfortunately to appeal to younger generations I think more of these games are going to sacrifice content for graphics.

There are definitely certain features I think would be worth adding in to Civ IV that Civ V has. But if there are not enough players interested then I don't see the need to waste your time or have any discussion about it. Heck, i'm at the point now that I just want to play anyway and not worry about constantly waiting for improvements.

Again thanks for a great map. Hopefully you can help me diagnose my problem so I can play again. I'll keep trying different tests myself.

Is there any way to play this map without installing the mod? I tried just loading the map via the worldbuilder but the game crashed.

Is there any way to play this map without installing the mod? I tried just loading the map via the worldbuilder but the game crashed.

You need the mod to play the maps, due to the civilizzations that are in the maps are directly linked to the civilizatoins in the mod, and not the ones in the original game.

You need the mod to play the maps, due to the civilizzations that are in the maps are directly linked to the civilizatoins in the mod, and not the ones in the original game.

So there's no version without custom civs?
Perhaps I can edit the worldbuilder save to put normal civs in?

Oh ya, and is it possible to fix the # of building required for the quest events? 72 buildings for the Holy Mountain is a little ridiculous.

So there's no version without custom civs?
Perhaps I can edit the worldbuilder save to put normal civs in?
If you edit the custom civs and edit the leaderheads and civlizatoin types so the normal civilization and leaderheads are in theoriginal game, it could perhaps work i have not tried it

So glad you're still working on this Genghis Kai! GEM has been the mod that I keep coming back to, the combination of historical realism and detail can't be beat. One particular shout-out to your innovation of providing 1 hammer in sea tiles, that makes such a difference in improving the viability and realism of conflicts like WW2 in the Pacific.

I've got three quick thoughts as I download the new version- first, I've never really been able to figure out the crash-to-desktop fix; is there a central location that some instructions for that could be posted? (this could already exist and I just haven't found it of course).

Secondly, in both the ancient-resources and modern-resources GEM map, Ethiopia and Inca appear to be the two civilizations with no natural counter, able to take over large areas of their continents while other typically large civs (China, Russia, India, the US) have been split into multiple civs. Is there any way to deal with this so I don't find myself contending with an oddly powerful Ethiopia in every game?

Thirdly, while I'm sure there are a ton of different amazing historical scenarios that GEM could address (I'm probably in a minority of 3 who'd love a Seven Years' War one), I think a large part of the community would appreciate you taking your trademark accuracy and balance to a modern world scenario. BarbarianKing has a very complete one on the earth-18civs map, but of course that can't compare with GEM's detail. I doubt you have time for such an undertaking in the short-term, but if you're thinking of a scenario to do, I hope you consider it :) Thanks again!

So glad you're still working on this Genghis Kai! GEM has been the mod that I keep coming back to, the combination of historical realism and detail can't be beat. One particular shout-out to your innovation of providing 1 hammer in sea tiles, that makes such a difference in improving the viability and realism of conflicts like WW2 in the Pacific.

I've got three quick thoughts as I download the new version- first, I've never really been able to figure out the crash-to-desktop fix; is there a central location that some instructions for that could be posted? (this could already exist and I just haven't found it of course).

Secondly, in both the ancient-resources and modern-resources GEM map, Ethiopia and Inca appear to be the two civilizations with no natural counter, able to take over large areas of their continents while other typically large civs (China, Russia, India, the US) have been split into multiple civs. Is there any way to deal with this so I don't find myself contending with an oddly powerful Ethiopia in every game?

Thirdly, while I'm sure there are a ton of different amazing historical scenarios that GEM could address (I'm probably in a minority of 3 who'd love a Seven Years' War one), I think a large part of the community would appreciate you taking your trademark accuracy and balance to a modern world scenario. BarbarianKing has a very complete one on the earth-18civs map, but of course that can't compare with GEM's detail. I doubt you have time for such an undertaking in the short-term, but if you're thinking of a scenario to do, I hope you consider it :) Thanks again!

Thanks for your appreciation. Those very kind words are really motivating :)

I probably won't be making any new scenarios. Those two I've added in v6.4 really are just modifications of the 1940 scenario and need much less time to develop as compare to a brand new scenario.

And sorry to hear your crash to desktop problem. I can only point you to RevDCM forum for technical issues as most of those problems are due to those components.

Thanks for your appreciation. Those very kind words are really motivating :)

I probably won't be making any new scenarios. Those two I've added in v6.4 really are just modifications of the 1940 scenario and need much less time to develop as compare to a brand new scenario.

And sorry to hear your crash to desktop problem. I can only point you to RevDCM forum for technical issues as most of those problems are due to those components.

ahh come on you gotta keep making scenarios the 1500 AD works fine for me but 1870 AD takes 5 mins wait after each turn,
a dark age scenario gets my vote!

Welcome back Kai :)

Making more scenario's is a lot of work, the only thing i request is for GEM to update to the less buggy and faster newer versions of the BUG mod. the double civ name thingy is still a bit annoying and the new bug has an option for dynamic names in the scoreboard and probably some more cool features. then during the summer i might have a go at making a couple of scenarios (although its been a while since i made GEMAH (see my siggy) <-- cheeky advertising).

Welcome back Kai :)

Making more scenario's is a lot of work, the only thing i request is for GEM to update to the less buggy and faster newer versions of the BUG mod. the double civ name thingy is still a bit annoying and the new bug has an option for dynamic names in the scoreboard and probably some more cool features. then during the summer i might have a go at making a couple of scenarios (although its been a while since i made GEMAH (see my siggy) <-- cheeky advertising).

Thanks for pointing that out. I am so outdated in news in Civ modding. I've just check the RevDCM site and it seems that the latest version is 2.90. If you happens to remember, could you tell me whether it includes the latest BUG version? whether it is stable (how long it was released?) What were the last major changes?

Gosh, it will be a nightmare to re-learn how to combine RevDCM into GEM again :crazyeye:

In the latest version Indian fast worker is no longer fast. It only has a movement rate of 2.

In the latest version Indian fast worker is no longer fast. It only has a movement rate of 2.

Yes. So I think I made it's work rate faster. i.e., it takes less time to build anything with an Indian worker.

On modern resource map there are some corn growing on desert along the yellow river in China. Is that intentional? Because it doesn't make sense to have crop on desert tiles without floodplain and water. I always remove them when I play. Also there are some grassland tiles with floodplain feature, but they are not along river or anything (e.g. near the spawning point of Israel and America and everywhere). I always remove them too.

Top Bottom