Welcome to Giant Earth Map (GEM)!

:D

I looked for information on recent revDCM updates but could only find the change log for the last update so im not certain what changes have been made in total from 2.5 -> 2.90 apart from some minor bugfixes, however i know multiplayer became viable with the recent revDCM's but i cant imagine the wait with online GEM x). newer versions have been very focused on increasing turn time speed which is always welcome.

:D

I looked for information on recent revDCM updates but could only find the change log for the last update so im not certain what changes have been made in total from 2.5 -> 2.90 apart from some minor bugfixes, however i know multiplayer became viable with the recent revDCM's but i cant imagine the wait with online GEM x). newer versions have been very focused on increasing turn time speed which is always welcome.

Sorry, I didn't incorporate the revDCM update in the latest release. I spent more than an hour trying to recombine GEM files with DCM 2.9 but always getting errors. I gave up.

On modern resource map there are some corn growing on desert along the yellow river in China. Is that intentional? Because it doesn't make sense to have crop on desert tiles without floodplain and water. I always remove them when I play. Also there are some grassland tiles with floodplain feature, but they are not along river or anything (e.g. near the spawning point of Israel and America and everywhere). I always remove them too.

It is sort of intentional. Because of the limitation of tiles available in Civ, I don't have much choices to represent the semi dessert terrain there. Those corns along yellow river in northern China is to represent corns and millet produced in there. The terrain is semi desert in there but they could still farm - I was physically there some years ago and saw those poor Chinese farmers harvesting in the semi desert environment. Chinese farmers are tough and can make the seemingly impossible possible.

And for the floorplains appeared everywhere else, they are just there to give more food production to the urban centres in reality.

Do you think you could make a scenario with the Confederate States of America in it say around 1861? Britian would still be huge, or you could do one with Texas just after it wins independance, or my favorite, a map of the world just after Spain loses its colonies in Latin America. Please try it, my version wont work on much of the other US Civil War era ones.

Do you think you could make a scenario with the Confederate States of America in it say around 1861? Britian would still be huge, or you could do one with Texas just after it wins independance, or my favorite, a map of the world just after Spain loses its colonies in Latin America. Please try it, my version wont work on much of the other US Civil War era ones.

There is one already in GEM.

After playing multiple games with the recent update I figured I would share some observations. I always do the default date with Modern resources.

1. Barbarians are out of control. Even on normal (not raging) they cause some civilizations serious problems. Of note are Australia, Russia, Mongolia, America, and I can't recall which civilization but the one around modern day Kazakhstan. I often find them overrun partially or even destroyed. There is a key denominator in many of them: Siberia. There is just too much FOW out there for Barbarians to spawn. Also Western Australia and Canada are a hive for endless amounts. It doesn't get too bad in South America or Africa, since there are civilizations on all corners that simply expand inward reducing the FOW. Except for parts of South America. But the natural mountain terrain in the West helps the Inca defend against it. I've rarely seen them have problems.

Another possible argument for having the Barbarians is it prevents those civilizations from expanding rather quickly in an un-occupied area (unlike crowded Europe). But the terrain where they exist is anything but optimal and their expansion is slow at best and bankrupting at worst.

Conclusion: I turn off Barbarians, which of course invalidates the Barbarian Mod. But i'd rather have good existing civilizations than possible variable ones severely handicapped with a late start. Though I do really like the Barbarians and the Mod.

2. Europe is too crowded. I know its been discussed. But from experience with other World maps it might be beneficial to remove a few and re-distribute elsewhere. I usually lose a civilization rather quickly from Europe anyway, often either the Germans or Hungarians.

I would remove the Hungarians. I think having two Chinese helps for balance, but you could remove one and re-distribute it to a better location. If you did that, I would move the Chinese south, Mongolia a bit more SE and that would also allow Korea more expansion too. You might even end up with a Japanese expansion to the mainland rather than to the SE Asia islands.

To re-distribute, maybe consider a second civilization in Australia on the West or North coast. That would amp up Australia some more and also provide more competition for the SE Asia islands, which are often the last areas to colonize. That would also eliminate much of the Barbarian problem there to keep that option available.

A civilization somewhere in Siberia. Again that would self-correct the Barbarian issue and would solve another problem with wierd AI expansion into that area by like Babylon. Lastly, maybe a third Civilization in South America, perhaps on the southern tip. Or slightly NE of that. You already have one on the West, East, and North. Maybe even put one in the center, since I notice that is also one of the last places to be colonized. Another idea would be Central Canada. That would again solve a Barbarian issue and also provide colonization there before mid-game.

3. Poland has an absurd start in counter to both Hungary and Russia (and indirectly Ragnar). I notice that Poland has entirely too much growth around their starting city and so always does a Settler rush. I have played as Russia a few times and I often find myself limited by rapid Polish expansion to the East. And i'm not even talking about legitimate city distances. I'm talking about minimum Polish city distances WITH rapid expansion. Perhaps you could nerf that initial wheat/flood plain area (I think that is what it is) to be more in-step with Russia, who really just has a Wheat spot. Otherwise Russia is at a huge disadvantage the entire time; and add Barbarians to that and you have a disaster, which is an issue Poland does not have to worry about.

I downloaded the mod, started it up, and when I started as the Polish, I had no UI. I thought this would be fixed if I installed Blue Marble (since that's what all the screenshots of the GEM are in) and I did that, no fix. Can anyone help?

My commendations on an excellent mod! It has kept my Civ playing and enjoyability to a maximum.

Cheers! :)

After playing multiple games with the recent update I figured I would share some observations. I always do the default date with Modern resources.

1. Barbarians are out of control. Even on normal (not raging) they cause some civilizations serious problems. Of note are Australia, Russia, Mongolia, America, and I can't recall which civilization but the one around modern day Kazakhstan. I often find them overrun partially or even destroyed. There is a key denominator in many of them: Siberia. There is just too much FOW out there for Barbarians to spawn. Also Western Australia and Canada are a hive for endless amounts. It doesn't get too bad in South America or Africa, since there are civilizations on all corners that simply expand inward reducing the FOW. Except for parts of South America. But the natural mountain terrain in the West helps the Inca defend against it. I've rarely seen them have problems.

Another possible argument for having the Barbarians is it prevents those civilizations from expanding rather quickly in an un-occupied area (unlike crowded Europe). But the terrain where they exist is anything but optimal and their expansion is slow at best and bankrupting at worst.

Conclusion: I turn off Barbarians, which of course invalidates the Barbarian Mod. But i'd rather have good existing civilizations than possible variable ones severely handicapped with a late start. Though I do really like the Barbarians and the Mod.

2. Europe is too crowded. I know its been discussed. But from experience with other World maps it might be beneficial to remove a few and re-distribute elsewhere. I usually lose a civilization rather quickly from Europe anyway, often either the Germans or Hungarians.

I would remove the Hungarians. I think having two Chinese helps for balance, but you could remove one and re-distribute it to a better location. If you did that, I would move the Chinese south, Mongolia a bit more SE and that would also allow Korea more expansion too. You might even end up with a Japanese expansion to the mainland rather than to the SE Asia islands.

To re-distribute, maybe consider a second civilization in Australia on the West or North coast. That would amp up Australia some more and also provide more competition for the SE Asia islands, which are often the last areas to colonize. That would also eliminate much of the Barbarian problem there to keep that option available.

A civilization somewhere in Siberia. Again that would self-correct the Barbarian issue and would solve another problem with wierd AI expansion into that area by like Babylon. Lastly, maybe a third Civilization in South America, perhaps on the southern tip. Or slightly NE of that. You already have one on the West, East, and North. Maybe even put one in the center, since I notice that is also one of the last places to be colonized. Another idea would be Central Canada. That would again solve a Barbarian issue and also provide colonization there before mid-game.

3. Poland has an absurd start in counter to both Hungary and Russia (and indirectly Ragnar). I notice that Poland has entirely too much growth around their starting city and so always does a Settler rush. I have played as Russia a few times and I often find myself limited by rapid Polish expansion to the East. And i'm not even talking about legitimate city distances. I'm talking about minimum Polish city distances WITH rapid expansion. Perhaps you could nerf that initial wheat/flood plain area (I think that is what it is) to be more in-step with Russia, who really just has a Wheat spot. Otherwise Russia is at a huge disadvantage the entire time; and add Barbarians to that and you have a disaster, which is an issue Poland does not have to worry about.

I agree to most of your comments. Its difficult to strike a good balance of game play and realism. I probably won't have the time to rebalance it now though.

But good to hear your feedback.

So took a stab at another single player game as Spain. Started out pretty good and beat France to a decent city near Barcelona with culture extending into southern France. I'm at 800 BC and have a good score on Prince difficulty.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/263/spaina.jpg/

And here is a good shot of poor Russia up against an over-expansive Poland. Not a chance! And that is without Barbarians, which would be even worse for Russia.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/russiatp.jpg/

Some other notes:

SE Asia islands and South America as usual remain the last to be colonized and are still relatively clear; and of course Siberia.

England got isolated. The Netherlands took Ireland and the French took Scotland by peaceful expansion. I've seen that happen a few times.

With RevolutionDCM mod integrated, don't the barbs settle into new Civs, and shouldn't that lessen the barb pressure on Russia/Australia/America/etc?

A better solution actually, would be to replace the leaders in certain cases.
If Peter is replaced with Catherine in the case of Russia, I think that would counterbalance Poland a lot better. Catherine tends to expand a lot and is usually an AI that performs very well, so that might be the better fix.

Having a Srivijaya/Malaysia/Filipino civilization in SE Asia might be good as well, in an indirect way. It may encourage the mainland factions into settling north instead of south and lessen the Barb spawn. I still think having two Chinas is okay, because it not only balances itself out, but prevents Sury from becoming too big of a monster as the Khmer often expand like crazy. (They are the Asian equivalent of Poland basically)

From my observations, the French & the Dutch are always able to snipe land away from the English but it doesn't really concern me since the English are usually the first Europeans to found an overseas colony.

First of all, thank you for the awesome mod you made Genhis Kai. Since I only play earth maps on Civilization IV, this was a greater and funnier challenge than conventional earth18 scenario.

My settings are: no barbarians (they tend to be a big problem for some civs, as it has been commented), aggressive AI, no technology brokering, permanent alliances, no vassal states and no espionage.

Always on marathon speed. Victory conditions: domination and diplomatic. I never ended a game or won it by this conditions; but when the time comes and there is no more challenge for my civ, I feel jus the winner.

I'm posting two of my last achievements:

1st as Japan (emperor difficulty). My strategy here was to become the most advanced civ by creating scientific cities, and great scientific farms (Pyramids for representations, The Parthenon, Shwedagon Paya for pacifism and The Great Library). Then seizing Korea with samurais, and east Asia with infantries.
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9247/japanc.jpg

2nd as Incas (monarch difficulty). This was a bigger challenge since America is low on fun resources and none of us founded a religion; Notredame helped a little. I was always behind in technology and global score. But after seizing all South America I became an uber producer civ; specially with all that grassland and rivers filled with workshops, watermills and windmills. My civics where: Police state, vassalage, caste system, state property and free religion.
My first conquest was Spain: razed all their cities and settled on the uranium (since there is no uranium on South America).
Then I declared war to the leading score team (Japan+Khmer). I used 70 ICBM to nuke Kahmer (that is because everyone is so angry with me) and my army to take control of Japanese territory
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8985/incas.jpg

Good news, I re-installed it this time without Blue Marble graphics and it worked great for Hotseat. I am back in the saddle! There is some conflict between the two that causes it to crash. The minute I installed Blue Marble it crashed again. Or maybe its just my computer...

So I launched another game with a player as Russia and another as India. The same patterns for the most part. Poland over-expands surrounding Russia. The previous post mentioned something about Barbarians settling in removing the threat to Russia. From my experience, they don't ever seem to do that. They do it nicely everywhere else, but Northern Asia is not a favorite for them. So you have to deal with the continuous hordes.

The United States was destroyed rather quickly from a North American' Iran. Interesting...and many other Barbarian cities appeared in the Americas and in Polynesia. I do very much like the Revolution Mod, it adds a unique flavor to the Giant Earth Map mod.

As always, thanks for a great Mod.

Top Bottom