we're not so clever after all...

Hawkster

sorcerer
After reviewing the creation/evolution threads here it got me thinking about how clever we think we are as a species but in reality we're not so smart. After all for most human cleverness nature got there first

For example fire is a natural phenomenom - we just learned how to make use of it, electricity - nature got there before us, flight - well birds and dinosaurs got there first, social organisation and politics - many social insects, etc etc

For most human inventions nature provided at least a template if not a direct example.

Thinking about the only item I could come up with without a natural equivalent is the wheel nowhere does that occur in nature (yes I know things roll but not like a wheel).

I suppose the conclusion is how clever nature is at finding solutions to problems and to make us realise that we aren't as clever as we'd like to think ;)

:lol: :D

The wheel, yes. And football. I know of some ant species that plays some form of cricket, but football is an original human invention. Which once again proves it's the greatest sport in the world!

Originally posted by Hawkster
After reviewing the creation/evolution threads here it got me thinking about how clever we think we are as a species but in reality we're not so smart. After all for most human cleverness nature got there first

Good observation but wrong conclusion, for it appears humans are clever enough to observe the solutions that nature chose for certain problems and improve or adapt those solutions to their own needs.

I'd like to meet an individual of that nature species... Natura intelligita or what is the species name? :p

Poeple, as a collective, are stupid. Need proof? Just watch Jackass, RealTV, and What Were You Thinking. These shows depict everyday folks doing some very stupid things. This is spawning a generation of "monkey-see monkey-do" daredevils who will do almost anything because either they think it will be cool or they saw it on TV.

Need more proof? Two words: Darwin Awards.

Originally posted by The Person
Humans made the TV shows. Most TV shows are stupid.
Conclusion: Most humans are stupid.

May I quote from a very fine Danish-Norwegian writer, Ludvig Holberg:

A stone can not fly. Mother can not fly. Hence mother is a stone.

Your logic runs along these lines, I'm afraid :p

On-topic, yes, we copied most things from nature, but humans figured out how to make them ourselves in our way. For example, we invented matches to make fire. We invented power plants to make electricity. Besides, humans invented language - as far as I know, humans are the only species on earth with a sophisticated language, we didn't copy that from anywhere.

Originally posted by gael
If we were born with the ability to breath fire and shoot lighting bolts out of our arses, life would have been a lot easier in the early days.;)

Nah, we would all be dead...

The difference between humans and animals manipulating these things is that animals are born with the ability. Pretty big difference.

As for Association Football, or Soccer, my dog will push a ball on the ground with her nose. So, yes, it's cool that we have a sport that animals can learn. :p

I don't know of too many animals traveling into outer space.

Come on, Hawkster. We've only been around 100,000 years. Give us 1,000,000 years, then argue that the only truly original thing we invented is space warp ;)

We only advanced beyond stone tools about 6,000 years ago. We were clever enough to survive without anything better than that for a very long time.

Originally posted by gael
If we were born with the ability to breath fire and shoot lighting bolts out of our arses, life would have been a lot easier in the early days.;)
We werent born with those, but a night of drinking followed by a stop at Taco Bell will temporarily give us those abilities.

Originally posted by Aphex_Twin
Come on, Hawkster. We've only been around 100,000 years. Give us 1,000,000 years, then argue that the only truly original thing we invented is space warp ;)

No I'm sure I saw some ants travelling around in space...

Originally posted by Dell19

No I'm sure I saw some ants travelling around in space...
You forget the ants are themselves 100,000,000 years old :p

Yeah? Well how many nuclear weapons do those space ants have?

Yeah, that's what I thought...;)

Top Bottom