1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What boardgames did you just play?

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by CivCube, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I played Cosmic Encounter with a group, none of us having played the game before and finding the rules not clearly explained. No alliances happened as none of the group found that there is no benefit to forming alliances.

2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Didn't know this thread existed so I had a write up on Resident Evil 2 here.

The spawning system for the game does help keep you on your toes. When you get a random encounter, the zombies will spawn at certain points on the map, even if they're in different rooms. This means that even if you've cleared a room, if you backtrack to it there might be zombies in there again.

The ending to the last game I played was intense because the end point (a locked Umbrella office room) filled up with zombies and zombie dogs over the course of the game that we had to fight hand-to-hand when we opened the door.

3. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Playing this very old wargame on Vassal right now. It's a brilliant masterpiece!

Spring 1965 S Vietnam.jpg

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Looka like my gaming group may be having another "games day" in September or October.
    6 adults, a similar amount of children aged 8-14, a big house, and a lot of boardgames of varying complexity for a day.

topsecret likes this.
  5. topsecret

topsecret Believer

6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Just had our "games day" today.
    6 adults, 7 children.
    An eight player game of Memoir 44, 2 thirteen player games of Werewolf, and a bunch of boardgames were played.
    A good time was had by all.

7. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Where was my invite? :p

Ive been playing quite a bit of hero realms recently. I rather like it. We just got the upgraded version which gives you a hero to use with a special power.

AmazonQueen likes this.
  8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

2 of our gaming group couldn't make it tonight so instead of D&D we played Terraforming Mars instead. Win win as far as I'm concerned. Not that keen on D&D and Terraforming Mars is a good game. Balanced Euro but with a decent amount of flavour.

9. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

I was thinking of buying my sister this for xmas. How hardcore is it? And by that i mean do you need a degree in physics to understand the rules :D

10. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Not bad. Its more complicated than something like Settlers of Catan but not too much. You don't really need to understand the science to play although it might teach people a little.
    We only played the basic game. More advanced adds that you are playing a specific corporation with its own strengths and weaknesses and a lot more ways to hinder your rivals but still doesn't make the game difficult, just likely to take longer to play.

sherbz likes this.
  11. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

Mechanically, Terraforming Mars isn't that complicated by boardgame standards, but it's not super simple either. Plus there's quite a bit of decision making to get wrong, particularly if you're playing with some of the optional modes (unique coprs, the corporate era and drafting - all of which make the game better). For someone who's knowledge of board games extends to Monopoly and Risk, it might be a little too much, but if they've at least done the "gateway games" like Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne, it could be a reasonable next step.

Another game that plays somewhat similarly - in that it's a card based "engine builder" - is Wingspan, which is a pretty lightweight game, but quick to play (~1h) and easy to learn. Very nice components too.

As for what I've been playing, got to try Maracaibo last night, and enjoyed it. It's by the same guy that made Mombasa and Great Western Trail, both of which I'm a big fan of, and I could certainly feel many similarities, particularly to GWT. Not sure yet if it quite lives up to them - if anything it might be too complex on the decision making front (not something I often say), as there's so many options you can take on your turns - but if it makes another appearance at my games club, I'm gonna be rushing to grab a space.

12. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Well, they play a lot of Risk legacy, mysotopia and the like. We went to board games convention in Cardiff earlier in the year and played Scythe - which they all enjoyed. But if we had been left to our own devices it would have proved too complicated. Sounds like Terraforming Mars might be a good one to bridge the gap. Ive ordered it now anyway so its too late to change my mind :lol:

13. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Its easier to pick up than Scythe IMO.

14. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Visited my sister at Xmas and played Century: New World and Azul a few times each with my sis, bro-in-law, & nephew. My little niece played as a team for 1 game of Azul and was pretty good at it. Not bad for an 8 year old.

15. topsecret

topsecret Believer

Both of those games are a blast. If you like kids playing games, also try Ice Cool - it's not a typical board game but it's fun!

AmazonQueen likes this.
  16. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Played Azul recently too. I won so I liked it. :)

topsecret and AmazonQueen like this.
  17. topsecret

topsecret Believer

Just played Scythe!

18. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Good game. Id like to play it again. Only had 1 game at a games con in Cardiff. But i enjoyed it.

Our Xmas game this year was Wildlands. And i thoroughly enjoyed it. Not too difficult to understand how to play. A fair bit of strategy involved. And a good variety in the factions on offer.

19. Till

Till Adventurer

I had a lot of fun with these games lately:

Wingspan:
    Collect birds and place them in your wildlife preserve. Placing the birds requires resources, and gives benefits, depending on the bird.

Tavern of Tiefenthal:
    Manage a tavern and turn it into the most popular pub in town. A bit deck building, a bit worker placement, a lot of fun.

Seven steps:
    Abstract game about placing tokens on hexagonal tiles. Really easy to learn, while retaining enough depth to stay interesting. Great for non-nerd sessions

20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Hopefully will have a first playthrough of Brass: Birmingham on Monday. Its a sequel to the classic game Brass so looking forward to it.