1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What do we know about the next expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Casworon, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

Climate change has also happened historically, with either local cooling or heating making previously hospitable environments inhospitable. Isn't the great collapse of the classic Mayan civilization basically speculated to be due to the Mayans deforesting and mining too much in their areas, changing the impacts of rainfall?

TahamiTsunami and Guandao like this.
  2. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

A lot more than a day ago. (compared to what we knew beforehand)

Deliverator, Guandao and Hawke9 like this.
  3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

The historical record is iffy enough for some scepticism, especially where there's an attempt to draw a 1:1 comparison to current climate concerns.

Easter Island is viewed this way, too, at least in some circles. If there were any historical records of big personality leaders, I might speculate that this is the location of our large Polynesian friend from the leak.

4. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Or nothing if its just a giant hoax. :D

Guandao and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  5. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

There's a possibility it could be.

c4c6 likes this.
  6. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Two things make me think it's real (other than the Eleanor of Aquitaine art, which is from a separate source).

First, the thumb tacks in the concept art.

Second, the code name / expansion name Vesuvius. Too odd a name to be a likely choice for a faker to pick.

Guandao and c4c6 like this.
  7. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I mean, yeah, I also believe more that its real than that its fake, but we still need to be aware that there is the possibility of hoax.

Also, why the thumb tacks?^^

8. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

Nope. I think, their skills to entertain us are a lot better than many believe ...

Natural disasters seem to play a role in Schrödinger's equation. Right so, I mean, who doesn't know about Vesuvius and its impact on Pompeii?

Climate change also happened with significant impact on human history. Mentioned Easter Island / Mayans deforesting or eg. Vikings explorations to the west, which already had contact with the 'Skrælingar' in Newfoundland, but finally retreated from there because of harsher and harsher climate conditions (COLDER) around Greenland and Iceland back than. And ALL got forgotten.

PS. But how does that fit to Railroads??? Which are also in the box. And Schrödinger's cat, which is in the box or not, too, at the same time, but that is getting old (or not :p).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Deliverator, Guandao and WillowBrook like this.
  9. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Railroads > industrialization > climate change (global warming)? :p

Duuk likes this.
  10. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Just a little detail that makes it less likely to be a hoax, and if it is makes it the work of a very good hoaxer. It looks like concept art pinned to the wall of a work area, that someone took a few quick cell phone pictures of.

While on that track, the way the photos are taken make it look more like the work of someone who got access to an area for a short time with no one else around. Could be a member of the development team. Could also be part of the cleaning staff.

Nah, the cat's barely a kitten. I figured it was going to be there for a while longer, at least well past the Switch launch.

Who knew it was going to try to claw it's way out?

:thumbsup:

Only you forgot volcanoes. The discharge from which can also cause climate change … so:

Dinosaurs > Vesuvius > Climate Change > Cities

Guandao likes this.
  11. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

You are right! Probably I got my brain temporarily frozen while thinking / pondering about 'Eric the red' etc. ... Boom goes the dynamite: Railroads!

12. Casworon

Casworon Warlord

I honestly didn't expect natural disasters to make it into the game. But with the name Vesuvius and the fact that emergencies are in the game, and that one of the main design philosophies of civ vi seemed to be making the game more 'acive'. Reacting to the map rather than just following your pre-planned strategy. Global events such as natural disasters that seek to make the world feel more alive and throw spanners into the world that players can react too might just work.

I wonder how the multiplayer community will react to it though if it is a feature

13. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I think the buildings in the water look like they need to be created by a game developer to look as good as they are, plus the Maoi leader look excellent. It looks like pro's made these assets and that makes me think the 2nd expansion is coming in February.

DefiantMars, Deliverator and Guandao like this.
  14. darkace77450

darkace77450 King

If natural disasters are going to be added to the game, I hope they integrate them into the Emergency system so we have a better balance of military/non-military Emergencies.

As to specific types of disasters, I'm thinking volcanic eruption, hurricane, earthquake, drought, plague, global warming/pollution, and nuclear winter would all be appropriate. As @pokiehl says, the risk of these disasters needs to be clearly communicated (i.e. tell players that settling on coasts might mean eating a hurricane), and the rewards of settling in such locations needs to be suitable balanced against the risks.

However they handle things, I hope they don't make the disasters themselves too punitive. I'm okay with an erupting volcano setting me back a few turns by burning my farms and maybe killing a point or two of city population. What I don't want to put up with is the large, carefully developed city I founded hundreds of turns ago disappearing under a cloud of ash.

15. Haig

Haig Deity

I think a world congress / league of nations type system could integrate many of these mechanics:

* A Free city breaks free from an empire - a world congress ponders if it should be granted independence.
    * Emergency breaks out (nuke is launched, capital captured etc) and leaders vote for course of action
    * Volcano smashes some city, world leaders could spend $$$ to help rebuild it and gain some diplo bonuses
    '
    By the way remember that only thing hinting at disasters is the name 'Vesuvius', it could also be a working name taken from a natural wonder in the game or inclusion of some Italian peninsula civ etc.

16. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

'Vesuvius' can be as well just a hint on a nearby pizzeria delivering around the clock hot food & stuff ...

Cf. to civ4 code word 'Chipotle' (Mexican Grill).

Guandao, Hawke9, Leyrann and 3 others like this.
  17. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

FWIW, the Polynesian guy and water structures look quite authentic to me; not at all convinced that the blond queen is.

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm okay with it, but I wouldn't mind it being a little less intrusive. I just remember one really nasty embargo against me in Civ5, really annoyed I couldn't get that lifted until I saved up enough money to get enough city-states on my side.

Well if the late game were more interesting, I would play my games later. I don't really care about early time victories. Lately I've been doing it, but mostly to compare various civ strengths.

Exactly

I'm certainly no expert on the matter. Most of my information comes from the book Collapse by Jared Diamond. And that was his speculation about both Easter island and the Mayans.

Speaking of climate change, as you mentioned it has happened historically. And especially affected all the Native American tribes in my region of the world (desert Southwest). Drought really affected them. Also since volcanos are the game, we can't ignore the climate change effects of Krakatoa. Granted, that's like a near worst case scenario, and most volcanos aren't that powerful. edit: and Tambora, that one wrecked even more havoc on global climate. I always forget about that one.

I think Civ3 did this. I was careful not to settle against mountains in that game. Doubtful we'd ever see a game that punitive now days. Us old timers had it tough. We had volcanos wipe out our cities. You kids have it easy now days.

Guandao and qadams like this.
  19. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Prince

I wholeheartedly agree with all of your points, darkace. Adding new Emergency types would help balance out some of the weight military actions have in Civ 6. Natural disasters, economic crises, and diplomatic disputes all seem like good additions to me.

I would also think that tsunami would be another potential disaster for coastal cities. But that of course brings up the point you made about the benefits of settling a certain geography being worthwhile versus the dangers. Not to mention the inevitable discussion regarding sea level change. As they currently stand, I think that aquatic cities could be more powerful. The inclusion of aquatic infrastructure in the concept leaks give me hope that coastal cities will get more benefits or at least some more flexibility, provided the leak is true of course.

As for the scope of the natural disasters, I agree that they should avoid being detrimental to every aspect of a Civ game. Being hit in a couple of sectors definitely slows you down, but it doesn't immediately remove you from the game. Too many maluses simultaneously would not make for a good gaming experience.

Maybe the Emergency system could forewarn player about impending disasters to allow players to prepare for them. Perhaps even asking other players to lend aid in exchange for bonuses. In terms of flavor, I think the Religious and Scientific infrastructure could increase the warning accuracy and/or mitigate certain effects? It might give players another reason to build some Holy Sites even if they're not going for a religion.

darkace77450 likes this.
  20. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

The multiplayer community is a very small very vocal minority. In my opinion, they should just shut up and deal with something like disasters, in particular because 1. This game, nor any other turn-based strategy game, has ever been intended for multiplayer, with the lengthy settings of a single game and 2. Last time we had natural disasters, there was an option to disable them. I don't see why there wouldn't be one this time around.

Sherlock, Zaarin, Duuk and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.