What do you plan to choose for your first game and why?

Well, point by point, culture is better than the others because it's harder to get. And health is very important. Artists are crazy good. I think they'll be nerfed to 1 culture 1 health.

If they get nerfed, I'd prefer to 2 culture or 3 culture.. but with no health.

That way they are valued for the Culture not the health

(and maybe change Aristocrats to 4-6 energy no health and then add a "Doctors" option of +2 health)

Just a question on Random. Does the game support it for both the Sponsor and the initial cargo? Or will we have to do our own randomizing outside the game?
From what I saw during the last livestream you can select everything random or certain components (e.g. "I want Polystrasia and Aristocrats, rest random").

Umm no where in his post does he mention the ultrasonic fence. Is it just gonna magically appear??
You focus on the tech and build it. Up to that point your worker should be close to the capital anyway, ready to get to safety if needed. Setting up trade routes will probably take some preparation anyway (miasma), so getting a fence bevor that shouldn't really do harm.

Pan African Union, perhaps for prehistoric nostalgic purposes.

A clinic to make sure the food growth bonus is locked in...for this reason, I might try to go tall simply to flesh out the mechanics of the game without focusing on micromanaging replicating cities.

Aristocrats will further secure the 10% growth bonus as well as add income, and a fusion reactor's extra energy reserve allows room for maneuvering in emergent situations i.e. buy your solution in the form of building or unit.

I start with a worker, get a free soldier from the first colony, and can protect my trade convoys and cities from aliens with the ultrasonic fence upgrade. I have the lifeform scanner, so I know where nests are and will not settle or pass within aggression range of them. Since I'm going Industry, I will have energy stockpiles for that 1% investment, which lets me respond quickly to unforeseen emergencies. Also, other factions are probably unlikely to attack as long as there is plenty of land left to settle on. War tends to break out later, which would be in the second phase of my plan. Trading with other factions also gives diplomatic bonuses which can delay or prevent war.

I meant that you won't be able to protect ur worker. You never mentioned ultra sonic fence. You're building an explorer, old earth relic, clinic, trade depot, and a trade unit before you have a colonist to get your soldier. So that means you will be able to safely protect your worker, trade unit, and colonist without a single military unit or ultrasonic fence(because you still haven't built it)??? I don't think so. Ok so you got lifeform scanner. What if you're surrounded by alien nests? From playing ciV I'm just saying I think you need to rethink ur strategy. Also that 1% energy isn't gonna help that much early game.

In CIV5 you can easily use your main city to protect the first worker and the settler with your single starting military unit. I doubt that the initial explorere in BE can do the same job, but I also don't think that the aliens will be aggressive around the capital during the early game unless actively provoked.

At worst the worker will sit idle a few turns and wait for them to pull back (or for the city too kill them). Would be interesting to know if aliens (apart from siege worms) can even plunder your improvements...

You focus on the tech and build it. Up to that point your worker should be close to the capital anyway, ready to get to safety if needed. Setting up trade routes will probably take some preparation anyway (miasma), so getting a fence bevor that shouldn't really do harm.

Right, but my whole point was that the guy wanted to build an explorer, old earth relic, clinic, trade depot, trade unit, and colonist without a single military or as you've pointed out an ultra sonic fence.

I have a suspicion that BE will be a cruel schoolmarm'. :spank:

In CIV5 you can easily use your main city to protect the first worker and the settler with your single starting military unit. I doubt that the initial explorere in BE can do the same job, but I also don't think that the aliens will be aggressive around the capital during the early game unless actively provoked.

At worst the worker will sit idle a few turns and wait for them to pull back (or for the city too kill them). Would be interesting to know if aliens (apart from siege worms) can even plunder your improvements...

Well in CiV when I got my worker, I would need my warrior in my capital. Not only can terrain obstruct your line of sight where a barbarian can sneak up on you and grab your worker, but you also want to prevent your tile improvements from being pillaged by barbarians. You could protect your settler with that initial military unit, but then you're leaving your capital tile improvements and worker vulnerable to barbarian attack.

In BE you don't start with a military unit (unless you choose to in the seeding), you start off with an explorer (equivalent of a scout in ciV) which you want to use for scouting and expeditions. Also you can 't compare colonists with settlers because colonists take like 10 turns to set up a city which means it needs to be protected for a longer period of time.

Also, I don't see why other aliens wouldn't be able to plunder tile improvements.

I think if all the rampant aliens could destroy improvements like Siege Worms happily do, human players would quickly declare war on every alien in sight by default. As it is, the other alines roaming your lands are a nuisance and perhaps a threat to units outside your territory, but they won't reduce you to rubble as they stumble around.

I've seen non-hostile aliens destroy workers in the LPs, even inside a city radius. I think they just ignore non-combat units and if they happen to land in a tile with one they destroy them.

I think if all the rampant aliens could destroy improvements like Siege Worms happily do, human players would quickly declare war on every alien in sight by default. As it is, the other alines roaming your lands are a nuisance and perhaps a threat to units outside your territory, but they won't reduce you to rubble as they stumble around.

I'm not saying other aliens would be destroying tile improvements immediately like siege worms do, but I do think they would act like barbarians in ciV, come into you land, wait a turn, and then pillage. Of course aliens are not barbarians so I also don't think they'd start pillaging until their aggression levels are raised. I mean if the aliens are on red aggression level, and they start attacking your lands, it just wouldn't make sense to me for them not to be pillaging your lands.

I´m going all random on the hardest difficulty. I want to play a survival game in as much uncertainty as possible.
I wanna be surprised and play the game just trying to hang in there.
Utilizing the cards I´ve been dealt as well as I can.

I'm not saying other aliens would be destroying tile improvements immediately like siege worms do, but I do think they would act like barbarians in ciV, come into you land, wait a turn, and then pillage. Of course aliens are not barbarians so I also don't think they'd start pillaging until their aggression levels are raised. I mean if the aliens are on red aggression level, and they start attacking your lands, it just wouldn't make sense to me for them not to be pillaging your lands.

The BE aliens are animals. Think of it this way: if lions were to attack your African Savanna summer home, they'd kill you and anybody else there, but probably not destroy your house, roads and other structures...they'd have no use for them nor know they were even important.

I just started learning about CBE and I only have about 30 minutes of total knowledge from reading the wiki and watching the discovery trailer. But off the top of my head the combination that I would like to try first is:

PAC, Aristocrats, Reactor, Machinery.

PAC & Machinery seem to naturally match (worker speed + start w/ worker). Same with Aristocrats & Reactor (earliest possible first rush-buy).

Brazilia for improved killing
Aristocrats for getting early might virtues for science when killing buggers
Lifeform Scanner to see all the buggers
Weapon Arsenal to kill all the buggers

Kill the buggers, cut em up and go Aaha! 60 science from a siege worm. 100 with the quest. It will be glorious :) I'll go Purity if possible.

From the playthroughs I've seen its not uncommon to whittle down a siege worm and kill it around turn 30. 60 science is a fair bit at that level, its like 8-10 turns of science(judging from the Solar Gamers latest vid).

Brazilia for improved killing
Aristocrats for getting early might virtues for science when killing buggers
Lifeform Scanner to see all the buggers
Weapon Arsenal to kill all the buggers

Kill the buggers, cut em up and go Aaha! 60 science from a siege worm. 100 with the quest. It will be glorious :) I'll go Purity if possible.

From the playthroughs I've seen its not uncommon to whittle down a siege worm and kill it around turn 30. 60 science is a fair bit at that level, its like 8-10 turns of science(judging from the Solar Gamers latest vid).

I think you mean Artists

Top Bottom