What is Fall Further? Feature List and FAQ

Vehem

Modmod Monkey
Feature List

7 New Civilizations

Dural Civilization
Artists and students, the Dural are coming to realise that study alone will not sustain them in the wartorn Age of Rebirth. Led by the visionary Dannmos, the Dural seek to return civilization to the world, or at least their corner of it - though the task seems daunting indeed

With access to a number of unique national wonders (the Statues of the Seven Virtues) and the potent Professor unit (a priest replacement who can cast Hope and Inspiration), the Dural can do well on any path within the game. They are somewhat limited in religion (they can adopt religion and build disciples, but Temples and Priests are unavailable to them) as they are more concerned with the achievements of man than the worship of the gods, and are not naturally inclined to war but are quite capable of combat when the need arises. Their Hero - Karrlson - is a champion-level unit who was once a student until he saw first hand the dangers the world faced, at which point he began to study warfare instead. A good, solid choice for any player who enjoys a "builder" playstyle, with plenty of potential.

The Chislev Tribe
Tribal warriors out for revenge, the Chislev were almost wiped out when Jonas marched through their lands on the way to wage war on the Bannor. Previously a peaceful people, the Chislev were forced to fight for survival with their leader Absaroke at the fore. With the immediate danger now passed, the tribe must rebuild what they have lost if they are ever to avenge the fallen.

The Tribe has a number of unique buildings, some of which replace existing early structures (Elder Council and Pagan Shrine) and other, more potent buildings which can only be constructed once a number of others have been built within the empire. The most important of this higher-level buildings is the Council of the Warchief - which provides the effect of a Forbidden palace as well as boosting military production and global city-defence. One of these can in theory be built for every 3 cities, leading to the possibility of many small groups of settlements, each close to a "centre of government" to reduce maintenance. Additionally, the Chislev only civic - "Tribal Law" - acts in a similar manner to City States, but reduces Number of Cities maintenance instead of distance. Finally, when their world spell is cast, the Chislev receive free units in every city containing a Council of the Warchief, as the troops are rallied to seek their revenge. On the downside, the tribe has recently abandoned their homes, and suffers somewhat in the early game - lacking the means to make rapid tech-progress. Once they get established however, their enemies should be wary. A good civ for those who like to build early and war late.

The Archos
The Archos spent the Age of Ice trapped in spider infested caves. Over time they developed mutations and even began to worship the spiders. Shortly before the Age of Rebirth dawned, a formal spider cult emerged worshipping a giant spider they commonly called "Mother". Whilst the cult remains secretive and below ground even now, they hold sway over their barbaric tribe who have returned to the surface, under the command of Daracaat. Daracaat is fierce warrior, none-too-subtle in his approach but wily enough to understand the position the spider cult has put him in. He wishes to build the power of the tribe and conquer those civilizations nearby and uses brute strength and giant spiders to do it.

The Archos are a "barbarian-friendly" civilzation, though they tend to allow their spiders to feed upon any orcs that stray too close. Whilst the civilization has a strong "spider-theme", they cannot build spiders themselves and mostly rely on the brute strength of their warriors, especially in the early game. The spiders are born in the "Nest-City" (Capital) which benefits greatly when it increases in size. At Size 5, Baby Spiders are born periodically, whilst at Size 10 this changes to Giant Spiders. At Size 20, the Giant Spiders become Strong. There is one other important size-level for the Nest - size 15. This is the minimum size required to cast their world-spell, which brings their Hero unit "Mother" into the world. She's a big spider. And fun. 'nuff said. Subtle game-play isn't high on the list of Archos traits - they like to war and have the means to do it. Their Melee line lacks access to some of the weapon upgrades (generally only available to higher level units than normal) but make up for that with poison strength. Their Recon line is especially potent, and leads to the tech required to wake Mother (Feral Bond) and eventually toward the tech required to train Haruspex - the spider priests. These druid replacements trade summoning abilities for the Chaos Sphere, making them a unique blend of druid and attack-caster. The Archos have good potential for early war, and it just gets better once Mother and friends turn up...

Enter the Lizardmen - Cualli and Mazatl Civilizations

The Cualli and Mazatl civilizations are two surviving factions of an ancient race that was all but destroyed in the Age of Ice. Whilst they share a common root, they have developed in dramatically different directions since the dawn of the Age of Rebirth.

The Cualli survived the Age of Ice by making pacts with their dark god. Now bound to his service, they are a selfish and bloodthirsty people. Utilizing slavery and blood sacrifices to build their empire and dark magics combined with natural aggression to conquer their neighbours. Their leader is ruthlessly cunning and cold blooded in his tactics and their high-level units are incredibly potent, combining the power and stealth of the Shadow unit with the spell casting abilities of the Priest line.

The Mazatl on the other hand are an enlightened civilization, burdened with the foresight of the impending Armageddon. Their priests have divined what will happen if none stand to prevent the Infernals and the Sheaim from completing their plans, so they now make preparations to make that stand.

Lust for Knowledge - Kahdi

A new civ with an identity crisis - the Kahdi are ambitious, power hungry and utterly convinced that they're actually "nice guys". Believing that they serve Oghma
in pursuit of knowledge, their path has been twisted by Mammon and they truly covet power instead. Granted a direct link to Oghma's vault through "Vault Gates",
will Kahd eventually discover the truth and if so - with which god will he side?

Where the wind blows - Austrin

The Austrin are born explorers and their units and abilities reflect their wandering ways. Whilst the short term benefits of exploration are obvious, units like the Tracker also allow you to keep your lands safe from barbarians more easily whilst your melee forces are more mobile than those of other civilizations. Eventually they are able to field units such as the Windsword and Pegasus riders.

Scions of Patria

The Scions of Patria claim they represent the rebirth of humankind's greatest empire and Erebus' best hope for salvation, for life. But the enigmatic Risen Emperor's people are themselves long dead. Are the Scions reindling the glory of a lost age, or harbingers of an unnatural doom? A study in contradictions, within the shining cities of Patria Reborn sophisticated pleasures war with the despair of eternal existance. The Scions' rich markets are full of precious things from the Age of Magic, but traders must seek them through the macabre Haunted Lands. In the Haunted Lands Ghostwalkers melt through and with the shadows, and grotesque mergings of the living and the dead can lead to madness or great wealth. Champions of art and philosophy, the citizens of Patria Reborn also worship their Risen Emperor with burning fanaticism.

Full citizens of Patria Reborn are all undead. Cities don't gain population by accumulating Food. Instead they entice Awakened citizens out of the Bottomless Tomb with desirable resources or attractive Civics. Additionally, the Scions may either persuade or forcibly convert members of other civilizations.

Patria Reborn is led either by their Risen Emperor or by Korrina, guardian of the Emperor's Mausoleum. Under Korrina the Scions may adopt other religions. The Risen Emperor is "Agnostic", but provides access to units and buildings of a state religion. When the Risen Emperor rules Korrina is the Scions' Hero, and visa versa.

The Scions also have access to the four Grand Councilors of the Dark Council: Pelemoc Goldtongue, Themoch the Silent Watcher, Melante the Artful Governor, and Alcinus the Mad Thaumaturge.

Most Scions units are undead and many have unusual abilities. The Melee line features Headless spearmen and heavy infantry formations. The Recon line contains skirmishers, transforming Reaching Creepers and Ghostwalkers, and the terrible Horned Dread. The Arcane line has Necromancers, Corpus spells, and Mana types chosen partially at random by the mad Alcinus.

The Haunted Lands are the Scions' special terrain Feature. Along with Commerce and combat benefits it inhibits the growth of other civilizations, spawns Reaching Creepers, shelters Haunts, and can place a variety of curses on invaders, including transformation into hostile undead.

There are several "Concept" Civlopedia entires and online documentation here.

================

New terrain and unique features

Welcome to the Jungle

With the Cualli and Mazatl civilizations comes a new terrain mechanic to help represent their disposition toward jungle climates. It introduces a new terrain type (Wetland), feature (Deep Jungle) and "Improvement" (Swampland). Each of these will develop naturally over time in Lizard-man lands, turning their empire into a lush jungle land. The lizardmen draw some benefits from these terrain types, but they also provide an obstacle to would-be conquerors.

Lore Locations

Seven Pines, Mount Kalshekk, Bradeline's Well and Sirona's Beacon join the list of unique features to be found in Erebus, each with it's own benefits. Some are based on locations found in Fall from Heaven Canon lore, others are based on the FF civilizations.

New flavour for existing civs

Subtle changes to the existing civilizations add new options and flavour to the races. For instance - Lanun ships can now summon a weak boarding party in order to capture enemy vessels at sea if they have the "Buccaneer Crew" promotion, the Sidar gain the "Divided Soul" hunter replacement (able to split itself into separate parts and teleport between locations) and the Elohim have been extensively reworked as a defensive, monastic civilization.

================

Features from other modders

Explorable Lairs (original by Marnok)

Marnok has produced an excellent mod-component that means that monster lairs (Barrows, Ruins etc) are no longer so easily defeated. A unit must stand upon
the lair and "Assault the Dungeon". This can be a risky business, with all manner of dangers awaiting the unit and no guarantee of success. However - it can also be
very rewarding - experience, gold, magic items, unique promotions and unimaginable fame all await intrepid adventurers in the darkness. They need only be bold
enough to enter...

When a unit stands upon a tile with a "Lair" improvement, it no longer vanishes. You must use the "Explore Dungeon" ability in order to attempt to destroy the lair.
When you do so, a great many results are possible - but the process occurs automatically and you are informed of what happens during the adventure. The results vary
from valuable to outright deadly. You can improve your chances however with the "Adventurer" promotion - which helps your unit to avoid the worst of what the dungeon
can throw at them.

Broader Alignment (original by Grey Fox)

Evil? You call yourself evil? I'm more evil than you could ever be and I can prove it... Grey Fox produced a very impressive interface allowing a much greater
variety of factors to influence your alignment.

Alignment is no longer purely tied to religion - each leader has an initial alignment score (ranging from very good to very evil) and this can be influenced by religion, civics, units created, buildings built,
event results, cities razed - pretty much anything you can think of. Most influencing factors are commented on in their 'pedia entries or the help text for the option
though some are not immediately obvious (event results and such). Whilst Grey Fox did a *lot* of work on this, I do plan to extend that further in later versions
and to tweak the existing factors to make things a little easier to follow. The coloured bar in the top left of the interface displays your current alignment status.

Worker Promotions (original by Xienwolf)

Feel like a faceless labourer? Tired of working all day with no recognition of your skill? Then you need "Worker Promotions", new from Xienwolf.

Workers gain experience over time, allowing them to acquire promotions. These promotions can influence work rate, experience gain rate, defensive strength,
movement rate and visibility range. Skilled V, Mobility I workers make an excellent workfore - it just takes a little effort and a lot of worker protection to
get there.

Also included in this mod-comp was a number of addiitonal XML tags on promotions - some of which are used to implement other features below.

Diverse Citysets

Rather than using Era/Religion-based city art, Fall Further now uses Civ-specific city art. The buildings in your city will reflect the nature of the civ
you're playing. Orcs live in dirty camps, whilst elves construct elegant homes. This is purely a cosmetic change, but hopefully a worthwhile one. Some of the
religion specific improvements have been altered as well such that they don't stand out against the new city art as much.

Artwork by:

Woodelf, Winddelay and Darque (Dragonia II mod)
GeoModder, asioasioasio, Chamaedrys, C.Roland, Ganart, Sevo, White Rabbit, Woodelf and "the FfH art team" (Ethnic Citystyles Mod)
Vehem (DIY-Balseraph Tents Mod - and a number of other tweaks)

Will the dll source be released ?

I'm thinking it would be good to create a Modmodders Guide to Fall Further thread, detailing all of Xienwolf's changes and including not only the dll but all the files needed for FF functionality without actual content (schema files, screens, etc.)

Thanks a lot ! This is great.
Well, I was trying to modifiy a bit the sdk to make the conqueror trait work with units, and I modified a few things in CvCity.cpp & CvPlayer.cpp and it seems I messed up with something... When I build the dll (merged code of FFH2033, FF042 and mine), I don't get any errors, and the game starts normaly, but the sevopedia won't show up and I have no in-game UI (no menus, no mini-map, only the units and terrains...).
(Can anyone tell me what I've been doing wrong ?)

Problem solved, my mistake, should have used the cbp of FFH2 from the beginning.

Thanks a lot ! This is great.
Well, I was trying to modifiy a bit the sdk to make the conqueror trait work with units, and I modified a few things in CvCity.cpp & CvPlayer.cpp and it seems I messed up with something... When I build the dll (merged code of FFH2033, FF042 and mine), I don't get any errors, and the game starts normaly, but the sevopedia won't show up and I have no in-game UI (no menus, no mini-map, only the units and terrains...).
Can anyone tell me what I've been doing wrong ?

Try unhiding Python Exceptions (there's an option in Civ4Config.ini) and you should get a message when the interface fails to complete. It may be that you changed something that is exposed to Python and so it fails when it reaches that point.

I havea question ... How is it with TwinCast ??
I have mage with Combat 5 and I can't promote him to twincast (no twincast promote button)... ):

I kiss the feet of whoever thought of broader alignment. I've always deplored the idea that good or evil were tied to Judeo-Christian views of Heaven and Hell, and longed to just be called good because in the secular sense I give my people a good life.

Edit: Also, do you have a list of all the things that affect alignment?

Several people (perhaps most prominently myself, although I don't think I was the first) proposed having a large range of alignments for a ling time, but Grey Fox was the first to implement it.

while we're talking about broader alignments, I love it but doesn't it make it too easy to drift to evil as opposed to drifting to good? seems like there are quite a lot of actions considered "evil" around, but only a few considered "good" ;)

BA is right now in official "Red-headed Stepchild" status in Fall Further. It is there, and it does something, but not what we want it to do, and we're too busy elsewhere to slap it into line at the moment.

Vehem and I have both often stated a desire to go in and overhaul how it is being run. Like adding in per-turn effects on some things (like civics) among other possibilities. Just another of many "lack of time" issues.

Ideally when we overhaul the system it will get an entry in the Civilopedia under Concepts section which will auto-link everything that improves your alignment and everything that lowers it.

As for a list right now... no clue ;)

Top Bottom