What is free speech?

You know how I know "mudblood" is not equivalent to the "n-word"? Because people type out the actual word "mudblood".
Yeah, but the point of stories is to use stand-ins as allegories. Which is how "Mudblood" is used (however successfully is a bit of a separate thing).

You know how I know "mudblood" is not equivalent to the "n-word"? Because people type out the actual word "mudblood".
How is a fantasy wizard vs non wizard name calling equivalent to real world racism?

How is a fantasy wizard vs non wizard name calling equivalent to real world racism?
More like the old forgotten word of "xenophobia". People call anything racism these days.

Mudblood was a highly derogatory term for either a Muggle or a Muggle-born or half-blood, wizard or witch.

Since the HP term is relating to an ability that is "supposed to belong" to "pure wizards" there are parallels, but the HP term refers both to racism and "impure blood". I'd say it has a larger scope. Although are people with wizard's abilities a separate race of people?

Mudblood was a highly derogatory term for either a Muggle or a Muggle-born or half-blood, wizard or witch.

Since the HP term is relating to an ability that is "supposed to belong" to "pure wizards" there are parallels, but the HP term refers both to racism and "impure blood". I'd say it has a larger scope. Although are people with wizard's abilities a separate race of people?

No idea and idk the context it was used in the Harry Potter books. The people using it might be based off the Americans use if the term idk.

I first heard the term mud people back in the 90's in an American movie about the KKK. If I heard mud blooded last week I would probably associate it with white supremacy over Harry Potter.

I don't want to go over the entire saga to find examples too. I'm sure its been done before...

If we're looking for words that are "clean" I don't think there are any. They've all been used to hurt before.

Top Bottom