What is your level of addiction on Civ5?

What is your level of addiction on Civ5?

• High (newcomer to civilization series)

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • High (familiar with civilization series)

Votes: 53 20.1%
  • Medium (newcomer to civilization series)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Medium (familiar with civilization series)

Votes: 76 28.8%
  • Low (newcomer to civilization series)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low (familiar with civilization series)

Votes: 48 18.2%
  • None (newcomer to civilization series)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None (familiar with civilization series)

Votes: 81 30.7%

• Total voters
Low (familiar with civilization series) I feel like playing it sometimes and when I do, it's for hours and hours.

Should someone start a Civholics Anonymous group?

The addiction has been there as long as the game itself exists, so that group already exists: CivAnon. No more turns!

:D

Edit: Looking at the poll...no newcomers here?

None, familiar since Civ1. Hoping that changes eventually.

I'm not currently playing any Civ game at all, either. :(

None, but familiar, from Civ I up.
This one just does not do it for me at all, but I invested in Civ IV BtS recently so still get my fix.

Funny, had troubles getting into IV when it first arrived, now troubles with V. :confused:

My addiction is fairly high, since I've played 158 hours of it since release, with the vast majority coming after the February (read: March) patch...

Should someone start a Civholics Anonymous group?

My wife would be interested in joining a civ-widows group. At least I think that's what she said... I had gotten chain-DOW'd at the time and wasn't really paying attention.

My addiction level actually waxes and wanes going from extreme to none - this has been true for civ 1 to 5

For the purposes of the poll I answered high because I really like the game.

Although I am currently playing simcity4 deluxe that I picked up from steam for $5 as my min spec pc is too sucky for civ5 - turn times too long, especially on bigger maps/higher levels... pitty

Only have civ5 as it was a xmas present (my wife doesn't know about such things as required pc specs)

I don't think there are enough new comers on cfc period to gauge anything meaningful from newcomer vs veteran. My guess is that due to steam any new comers are more likely to be directed to the official forums (the ones steam point you at).

Interesting to see the breakdown of level of addiction though.

Medium. It's my comfortable "go to" game, the roles that Civ has occupied for me for years. When reading or grading tough papers, I tend to play while reading/marking - a few turns, then read a page, a few turns, then read a page. Civ isn't an addiction for me by any stretch, but it's a comfortable part of my lifestyle.

So yeah, I *think* that's medium.

It's funny, the fluctuations I feel. I like many of the design changes they made to Civ 5, complain about a lack of one more turn feeling, and I rate myself high. Color me addicted.

I should clarify; when I'm playing the game, I find it hard to end the session. There is that 'one more turn' hold. It's just starting a game that has less of a draw.

I voted none (I am familiar- since civ2). I did play a bit since the recent patch since that supposedly made the game fun, but I'm still not feeling it. I did get up to 66 hours played (I only had 8 hours played before the patch), but I have no desire to play civ5 anymore. Maybe if a decent mod comes out. The base game just isn't fun to play. I find myself forcing myself to play, and that isn't good.

well .. 66 hours is not none :lol:

well .. 66 hours is not none :lol:

But I have not played since last week. The games I have started, I never finish (I never get past the classical age). The game can be a little fun in the initial exploration stage. But wars are boring, empire building is boring. It's a yawn fest. There's little point in playing after the classical age. The diplomacy is a joke. I used to think it was because I went to war why people didn't like me. But even in my diplomacy and culture wins (both in the same game, I just reloaded and bought my diplomatic victory) where I never went to war once, they still hated me. So I know how the game is going to go. Chain denounciations, and eventually some numbskull will declare war. Wars are a joke. My entire army consists of like 4 units (my economy generally can't afford any more), and those 4 units can take out anything the ai can throw at me. And graphically my empire looks like crap. I can't build too many roads, because again, I can't afford them. What kind of advanced country only has one road connecting their cities? The road maintenance in this game is ridiculous. Moving units around is a tedious chore.

I voted none because I have given up on Civ5 for now. I'm playing Planescape: Torment right now. A game 12 years older than civ, but a better game by far.

But I have not played since last week. The games I have started, I never finish (I never get past the classical age). The game can be a little fun in the initial exploration stage. But wars are boring, empire building is boring. It's a yawn fest. There's little point in playing after the classical age. The diplomacy is a joke. I used to think it was because I went to war why people didn't like me. But even in my diplomacy and culture wins (both in the same game, I just reloaded and bought my diplomatic victory) where I never went to war once, they still hated me. So I know how the game is going to go. Chain denounciations, and eventually some numbskull will declare war. Wars are a joke. My entire army consists of like 4 units (my economy generally can't afford any more), and those 4 units can take out anything the ai can throw at me. And graphically my empire looks like crap. I can't build too many roads, because again, I can't afford them. What kind of advanced country only has one road connecting their cities? The road maintenance in this game is ridiculous. Moving units around is a tedious chore.

I voted none because I have given up on Civ5 for now. I'm playing Planescape: Torment right now. A game 12 years older than civ, but a better game by far.

A great game, as I've been playing that as well ( amazing what you find when you look through all your old cd's) along with Freelancer ( with some great mods) and the occasional dash of MOO2. I voted none as well, as I still can't really get into the game. I'm all for getting new blood to the 4x genre, but IMO, Firaxis went way to far to achieve their goal. Too dull for me to really.

You're talking about my single favourite game, but for me, it scratches a very different itch than Civ. But, that's beside the point. Hopefully you're playing the game for the first time, and this will be relevant...

Aim for upping charisma, intelligence, and wisdom first off - you'll get far more interesting dialogue options. Also, you'll get some ugly sphere from Pharod when you're done with him - keep it until the end of the game. (been three years since I've played it, so details are sketchy - I only play it every few years so it's fresh).

Actually my second go around with the game. but I don't want to delve off-topic.

I do believe a mod will eventually come around to make Civ5 fun. I just haven't seen it yet. Civ5 has some elements which seem like they should be fun in theory, but for some reason they aren't. I think someone will figure out how to fix this game.

Top Bottom