What languages do you speak/are you learning?

German as native language.
English as the language which I use to communicate daily at the moment.
Latin...you don't speak latin. But had 7 years of school. Still sometimes useful.
Spanish: El coche es rocho. That's it already. That semester wasn't *that* useful.
Dutch: Not yet, but will go to a language course next semester. Would be embarrassing to live in a country and to not even attempt to learn the local language ^^ (besides that it should be damn easy for me). Besides that, higher positions in European institutions require you to be fluent in 3 official EU languages, and since I might be aiming for that...

English: poorly (native language)
German: very little, raised by German-speakers but I never use it, my grammar is atrocious and my accent doubly so
Japanese: basic, learning more

English -awesomely
French -Can't really speak or listen to it much, but I can read it to a small degree.

I'm just about literate in Scots, if we're counting that as an actual language, which I readily concede isn't much, but it means I can get through Scots-language literature, verbatim records of Scots speech, etc. without having to constantly refer to a glossary, which is handy if you're studying Scottish history. Can't speak it, though; irony of it being so close to English that unless your normal register is a fairly broad Scots, it's very difficult to do without .

If we're not counting it (and, really, compared to something like French or German, we don't have much of a reason to), I'm a degenerate Insular monoglot.

English - native language
Mandarin Chinese - It's been a while, I'm rusty, but I studied for a few years and went through a point where I almost used it daily in conversation.
Icelandic - Just started out

English - Native (with a fairly strong southern U.S. accent)

Spanish - I've taken four years of it in high school. I can read pretty fluently (I'm reading Chronicles of Narnia in Spanish right now). Writing is generally ok with some gramatical flaws, but my conversational skills are rubish. That's the price of learning in a classroom and never using it in real life I guess.

I can guess at what Portuguese and Latin texts mean, but only because they're similar to Spanish. Long term, I wouldn't mind picking up some basic Russian .

Maori, native

English, native.

Also speak Hawaiian and Tahitian slowly.

Tier 1 (Native): English

Tier 2: Urdu -- taught to me by my grandma, can understand conversation but not speak well; French -- four years of schooling and time in France

Tier 3: Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese -- can read the first two, but not quite understand; can understand Japanese, but not read

Tier 4: Spanish, German, Russian, Swedish -- basic phrase knowledge

English (native)
Spanish (read/write, but speaking/listening is rusty. I'm pretty slow and out of practice anyway.)
Germanic languages (can typically guesstimate with reasonable accuracy)

English. Best language in the world and the only one you will ever need.

Why learn another? What would be the point? Waste of time.

English is my native tongue, and my high school Spanish is severely decayed. I alternately invest time in it and get busy and forget it again.

Learn Irish and Scottish. That way you can tell them to submit to England in a way they are sure to understand. :p

Quackers said:

Because it's fun!

Learn Irish and Scottish. That way you can tell them to submit to England in a way they are sure to understand. :p

You try to convince me by appealing to my natural love of oppressing people.
You know me too well. :D

English
Spanish
Polish

are the three languages I speak proficiently. I would say I am only fluent in English and Spanish though.

I've discovered that I for the most part understand Italian and Portuguese football commentary, and can read Italian very easily, which is interesting.

If we're not counting it (and, really, compared to something like French or German, we don't have much of a reason to), I'm a degenerate Insular monoglot.

I used to know an extremely small amount of HS level Spanish, but I'm in the same boat otherwise :sad:

Congratulations to all of our polyglots :beer:

Top Bottom