What Music Are You Listening To? #61: Now without a catchy title...

Here's some ambience:

Religious tune:

Orthodox choir music:

..okay, then why do you post trite flavor of the month edm with horrible vocals from some generic pretty face? :mischief:

:hmm: You and me, we're wired differently.

...I'll grant that it's not an original piece.

otoh I liked the psalm, with the exception of some jay z tracks you posted maybe a year ago that's our only common denominator I think :lol: I'd rather subject my body to a 24-hour session of aramaic psalms than spend a single hour in a club where they play offensively boring david guetta-derivates. documenta 14 (arguably the most famous European art exhibition) had a room installation where you could listen to orthodox chants in a echo-heavy room and depending on where you stood the voices sounded entirely different. it was magnificient.

Three Imaginary Boys by The Cure (1979)

The Cure are of course required listening for anyone even vaguely interested in '80s alternative. "10:15 Saturday Night", "Grinding Halt" and "Fire in Cairo" are the songs that most often end up on playlists (the latter being my favorite, I think). I'd say this first album slots into British post-punk, where later albums might better be called goth, shoegaze, or emo. I can even hear some '70s UK ska in "Accuracy." The Specials, Madness, and UB40 were all contemporaries of The Cure. Two Tone, I think it is or was called, which itself spurred the later American Ska Punk bands like The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, No Doubt, and Operation Ivy. You don't have to bother with the more granular subgenres, if you don't want to, but if you're one of those folks who likes to discover new music, it can be fun to leap head-first into the rabbit-hole. How else would you stumble over a band called Crispy Ambulance? But even if you don't want to go full-tilt music-nerd like I do, I still encourage anyone to look beyond the typical playlists, which often repeat the same few songs. Not just of The Cure, or of '80s alternative; all playlists of all genres, whatever your beat. After being bludgeoned senseless with "Go Your Own Way" and "Rhiannon" for literally decades, I think I was 35 years old when I heard "Tusk" for the first time.

Anyway, it was a while before I learned that Boys Don't Cry (1980), The Cure's first North American release, was really a compilation album. It does have some songs you won't find on the band's first few studio albums, though. I think "Boys Don't Cry" itself was just a single for the British audience, which would have aggravated me. I was never into buying singles. So I guess I'm recommending Three Imaginary Boys to the Americans and Canadians, and Boys Don't Cry to the Brits. And if you're from somewhere else... uh... well... whichever. Or both.

With "Fast Eddie" Clarke's death yesterday, the original Motorhead are now all gone. Can an entire subgenre of music be attributed to one man, one guitar? No, of course not, but Fast Eddie came close. It's been said, not just by me, that Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath laid down the twin templates of metal back in the '60s, but "Ace of Spades" threw gasoline on the fire, and perhaps jump-started the thrash subgenre. A whirlwind of car exhaust, punk rock and booze, "Ace of Spades" is metal with no time for spandex or checking its makeup in the mirror. Americans like Kerry King, Scott Ian, Dave Mustain, Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield soon followed in Clarke's frenzied footsteps. I can even feel a little bit of "Ace of Spades" vibrating under the hood of Ministry's A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste, Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, and Static-X's Wisconsin Death Trip. If you find yourself on an empty stretch of highway, light a smoke and pour one out right as you break the speed limit, and you might see the ghosts of Ian Kilmister, Edward Clarke and Philip Taylor go by. Don't try to keep up.

Does it predate that Judas Priest song?

Pretty sure this song was from the 90's.

The "British Steel" album reminds me an awful lot of Ace of Spaces, however. Don't know which came first.

The album Painkiller was released in 1990, made as a reaction to the popular thrash metal of the time.

British Steel was released in April 1980, along with Iron Maiden's first album. Ace of Spades was released November 1980.

Look up some Mulatu Astatke on youtube. It's Ethiopian jazz.
Some older Crystal Method popularized by the Matrix films.

Last edited:

Debustrol - Pád do hrobu mrtvol

Top Bottom