What questions do you still have?

Will there be culture-flipping of cities, like in Civ 4?

God please no, it is frustrating from gameplay perspective and completely nonsensical from realistic perspective.

What are the system specs required to run the game? When will they be announced?

+1, firaxis really should announce this soon.

And will there be a throne room? ;)

Unless that feature would have ethnic variations, so Indian throne room would look different from Chinese throne room (not to even mention throne rooms not being 'western' for all civs), I don't care about it ;)

There is no Great prophet point, only generic Great People Points and faith that is also used tu buy GP.

That's not true. Each Great Person type has it's points. And we don't know what happens to Great Prophet points after Great Prophets end. In one of early previews, the Great Prophet points were just overflown.

Domestic and internal tourism, appeal, culture victory and great works of art/music etc. How does it all work?

Can I see my own leader screen? I havent played much Beyond Earth: Rising Tide, but I recall it having that feature. Although, unlike last civ games in BE leaders change their appearances

Is multiplayer (expecially hotseat) moddable?

God please no, it is frustrating from gameplay perspective and completely nonsensical from realistic perspective.
I disagree. Savoy joined France peacefully despite being mosty Italian before that, it's culture flipping IRL. It was a fun mechanism.

- How do housing work
I think this has been explained: Pop growth is lowered by 50% if housing = pop size +2, 75% is pop size +1, and then even more, with a hard limit at housing = pop size - 5.

I do not expect any decent AI, so my main question is will we get Hotseat mode on release?

That's not true. Each Great Person type has it's points. And we don't know what happens to Great Prophet points after Great Prophets end. In one of early previews, the Great Prophet points were just overflown.
[/QUOTE]
Oh my bad, I misunderstood it.
I disagree. Savoy joined France peacefully despite being mosty Italian before that, it's culture flipping IRL. It was a fun mechanism.
Savoy didn't really choosed to join France they were military forced and France organised a fake referendum to save the face of their democracy.
Actuals culture flips don't really happen between Nations, but at his heart this series is supposed to be about Civilizations and not States. And Civilizations are defi ed by their culture, so having a city flip when it's no longer of the same culture as your Civ is logical. But yeah, that mechanic is not engaging and not adapted to the size of a civ in V.
The way they do this in V is way more engaging, with the city opposng no resitance to conquest, meaning that while it's still in your political borders, it doesn't belong to your Civ.

In the end they've released the source codes for DLLs, so we got Civ5 to be moddable as hell.

This.
People should not confound modability and easiness to do so too. C++ is indeed difficult but we still have the possibility to do a lot.

Well I didn't say the game wasn't moddable. I said that the modability was difficult to access.

- ASP.lua was a nightmare. This made it difficult for people to mod some pretty key features like starting resources, locations, CS placement, etc. The first mod I tried to create was one that would stop natural wonders from spawning within working range of CS. I never figured it out, nor could some of the prominent modders (Whoward, Lee, etc).

- Lua tables were messy. Setting Founder to True, for example, didn't always make your Belief exclusive to founding civ, which is what one would intuitively assume would happen. There were also tables laying around that did nothing (like Belief_ResourceQuantity).

- DLL modding isn't easy. I'd say probably 5-10% of modders even ventured into that territory tbh, as most modders are noobs (like myself) who aren't knowledgeable in the difficult languages. I'm sure that more of the DLL coding could have been moved over to Lua defines/tables and made accessible via XML inputs.

If Civ6 is just as moddable/more moddable than Civ5, and some of the more difficult stuff has been made easier for noob modders, then I'd be happy. Making it more approachable is my wish.

Some of it could have been moved but core mechanics hardly.

XML is mostly to change values and add new types in classes. And in civ5 it exactly does that barring a few exceptions.

The biggest blunder in civ5 programming are yields not treated all the same. Requiring dll or lua modding for stuff that shouldnt like adding tourism as tile yield.

I wonder if appeal is about having a late game tech or building that transform appeal in tourism. So that you can get tourism from terrain but only after a certain point.

IIRC, Ed Beach mentioned that at some point you'll be able to build/designate national parks on tiles with very high appeal, and that these parks will create tourism.

- DLL modding isn't easy. I'd say probably 5-10% of modders even ventured into that territory tbh, as most modders are noobs (like myself) who aren't knowledgeable in the difficult languages. I'm sure that more of the DLL coding could have been moved over to Lua defines/tables and made accessible via XML inputs.

Due to my specialization of technical analyst I have very wide technical knowledge, although not that deep. So I sat down and asked myself - "if I want to make a game like civ and make it moddable, how I would achieve this?" And there's no easy answer. You need to put a hell of efforts for this and those efforts will not give you anything outside modding.

Speaking about LUA/XML - both have very bad performance compared to native code compiled from C++. Well, XML is not programming language so it doesn't have performance itself, but parsing it is a very expensive task. You can't move all your game to them. You need to code all heavy tasks in faster languages and afterwards carefully expose hooks for mods.

So, if you're making game within limited budget (like Civ5) you have to inevitable sacrifice modding at release. Civ6 seem to have much bigger budget and teamleaders with much more experience in organizing development, so we could expect Civ6 to be more moddable on release than Civ5 on release. But I wouldn't expect total conversions like Vox Populi to be possible right away.

From what we've seen coastal tiles have higher appeal ratings. So does this mean coastal cities will be inheritantly better for cutlural victories because of increased tourism? That's what I'd assume.

How does having a city with both walls and an encampment really work?

I've seen two streams now with a city, having both an encampment and city walls, surrounded by barbarians. In both the big red button for attacking only appears on the city. No one even tried to click on the encampment to see if it could also fire yet I seem to recall numerous people saying it can. I would have expected each tile to get one shot with a range of two. When attacking using the button no animation occurs on the encampment.

Is this unfriendly UI, bugged, or people talking out their behinds?

If you capture a city with a unique district or improvement, do you keep them? Can a city change hands from say Spain, to Germany to Brazil and in the end have a mission, hansa and street carnival district in the same city?

If you capture a city with a unique district or improvement, do you keep them? Can a city change hands from say Spain, to Germany to Brazil and in the end have a mission, hansa and street carnival district in the same city?

Probably. Terrain improvements in Civ5 stayed even if the city that they belonged to was conquered, and districts behave like terrain improvements in a number of ways.

So, if you're making game within limited budget (like Civ5) you have to inevitable sacrifice modding at release.

That's irrelevant.
Civ 5 was less moddable on release than Civ 4.
For instance, Aheadatime says he had problems preventing stuff from spawning near city states.
In civ 4, the rules regarding placement of resources were defined in xml files. All map scripts could then refer to these and use the default values.
Civ 5 had everything defined in the map scripts. Sirian wrote a comment in the file trying to explain that was the lead designer's decision and it did have some advantages. Having coded a map script that eventually got included in official patches, I read Sirian's comment as a polite way to say "Jon made a poor design choice, I'm sorry about it, I had to live with it too".
The end result was that you simply couldn't do any modding of maps easily. Want to add a resource? Civ 4: Add it in the xml files.
Civ 5: Add it in the xml files, modify every map script that could use it.

The question is whether Civ 6 will be as moddable as 4 on release, or as 5 (or better or worse than either). Civ 5 was definitely worse at least as far as the map was concerned.

The performance issues are irrelevant. Lua is fast, and it's so much faster to code in than C++ that if you eventually reach a bottleneck you can refactor it into native code, but since in one month of lua coding you will have coded as much as you would have in 3 months of C++, you can better optimize and only optimize what is needed.

That's irrelevant.
Civ 5 was less moddable on release than Civ 4.

I never said Civ5 was more moddable than Civ4.

If we compare Civ6 with Civ4, we have the same leaders, but more funds, so we could be quite optimistic here.

The performance issues are irrelevant. Lua is fast, and it's so much faster to code in than C++ that if you eventually reach a bottleneck you can refactor it into native code, but since in one month of lua coding you will have coded as much as you would have in 3 months of C++, you can better optimize and only optimize what is needed.

Lua is 50 times slower than native code compiled from C++. Of course there's LuaJIT, but it's still way slower than native code and has its own issues. For processor-heavy tasks like AI you could ignore Lua and code in C++ right away. For professional developer there's not much difference in coding anyway. I'd say due to quite limited Lua capabilities and smaller amount of reusable code, coding in Lua could be even less productive.

Lua is 50 times slower than native code compiled from C++. Of course there's LuaJIT, but it's still way slower than native code and has its own issues. For processor-heavy tasks like AI you could ignore Lua and code in C++ right away. For professional developer there's not much difference in coding anyway. I'd say due to quite limited Lua capabilities and smaller amount of reusable code, coding in Lua could be even less productive.

I am no expert in coding, but from these two statements I conclude that the idea behind Civ V was to hire cheap low-quality coders who were unable to get things done properly in C++. Instead, they were able to quickly rush tons of LUA code, which eventually resulted in poor modding capabilities.
The question is (a) is that true, and (b) is that the case for Civ VI as well.

Top Bottom