What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

I've mentioned this before on different threads, but one other thing that really bugs me is the arbitrary and often completely senseless continent boundaries. It's like some five-year-old wrote the script for that.

Since Im playing larger maps the most annoying thing for me is when I get a Trade Route city state quest from an area of the map that I cant reach easily in that era. There should be a radius trigger or something. I get to the end of the game and I still have the initial quest from the ancient era from several city states. This has to be tweaked somehow.

Since Im playing larger maps the most annoying thing for me is when I get a Trade Route city state quest from an area of the map that I cant reach easily in that era. There should be a radius trigger or something. I get to the end of the game and I still have the initial quest from the ancient era from several city states. This has to be tweaked somehow.

Trade route to any City State should be 1 Envoy while active. Not a quest, just a general mechanism to make it easier to get envoys with bordering City States. Plus City States would be more inclined towards civs that trade with them.

Not all deserts are hot with loose sand.

Agreed. But any place people can't grow food isn't going to be easy to march an army through, camp out in, etc.

Not a big deal. Civ 6 is plenty complex enough as it is. But since they go through the trouble to provide some terrain with combat impacts and terrain impact, it's just a bit funny to me that tundra and desert aren't given an impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be very hard to only pick one thing that annoys me. But since no one else has mentioned it (and most people seem to have the completely opposite opinion), I'm going to go out on a limb and say I just don't care for Districts. It was an interesting idea, but I don't like how it works in practice.

I think the devs said they wanted to do it so that not every city will have all the same buildings in them. But why not? A city in civ is not equivalent to a city IRL, it's more like a "greater metropolitan area" instead. And it's hard to find a real life GMA that doesn't have at least one of everything in the Civ 6 districts.

That, and they wanted to make the map more important. You are supposed to make important decisions on where you place stuff and plan for the long term. Instead it just makes me hesitate to place anything because I'm always paranoid that I'm going to realize later in the game that I placed a district in a spot where I should have placed something else. And you can't destroy a district and replace it, so you're screwed if you make a bad choice.

Sadly, I haven't even played the game in a few months. The last time I did play, I did so out of a sense of obligation, not because I truly wanted to. For the first time in the more than 26 years I've been playing this franchise, I've gone back to the previous iteration and started playing Civ 5 again.

I agree in some degree. I think the map becomes more cluttered, thus less readable. I’d prefer if they put science/culture/goverment/factory/trade back into the city. Districts are good, they just went too far. I like the harbour and military stuff though...

The drag on the playing speed.

I mean, when I'm playing Civ 4, the feeling is like I'm running pleasantly on the beach, on the hard sand, the waves just licking my feet. When I fire up Civ 5, this morphs into a feeling as I've moved with my running a bit into the sea, knee-deep in the water. Moving the units one by one slows things considerably. But even this feels like the race of a hare against a snail, when it is compared with Civ 6. Here I feel that I'm trying to run while being waist or even nipples deep in the sea.

Somehow Civilization picked up a lot of mechanics that need extensive microing, and while it depends on your taste whether this is good or bad, the whole situation is turned into a nightmare by hands-down the worst UI in the entire series.

Planning districts, managing numerous traders with their trade routes, keeping lux deals and other diplo dealings with the AI, optimizing of chops vs cards slotted vs governors moved, optimizing eurekas and inspirations, keeping an eye on the great people, on top of the trivial movement of units one by one (thanks for the coupling and corps/armies, by the way) would be no trifling matter even with a cooperating UI, but for the moment we have a UI which maintains an attitude akin to civil disobedience when it comes to helping the player. The X to exit the leader dialogue being across the whole screen at the maximum possible distance from the last interaction I find an exceptionally exquisite cherry on the top of the whole cake of this excruciating experience.

Last Civ which I played without a UI mod was Civ 3. Later versions started showing UI shortcomings that had to be remedied by community UI mods, but Civ 6 is an extreme case. After playing 10 turns in the mid to late game with the stock UI I already feel exhausted. Big thanks to the modders of CQUI, it helps a lot with the most horrible lux trade and deal duration and trade route duration screens, but it is still a slog.

it helps a lot with the most horrible lux trade and deal duration and trade route duration screens, but it is still a slog.

I really think the Trade Screen should be re-thought, and presented as a "I have this to offer, what will you give me for it" and then show each other leaders' offer. Or "I want this [resource, joint war with X, whatever], what do you want from me to give this to me"?

I really think the Trade Screen should be re-thought, and presented as a "I have this to offer, what will you give me for it" and then show each other leaders' offer. Or "I want this [resource, joint war with X, whatever], what do you want from me to give this to me"?

Or even better... announce that you have an item you want to sell or buy and set the price, then the AI can (at any time during their turn) sort things out and just buy/sell it for that price (highest bidder). The following turn you get a message about it. Blacklist items you never want to sell or even be asked to sell... also blacklist countries. I'm so tired of being asked about stupid deals from the AI. I imagine this would also be much easier and faster in multiplayer.

UI and closely related, # inputs per game compared to what would be necessary if the devs gave any real consideration for end user experience.

Additionally, MP stability de-sync/playability. I almost never play with the weekly MP group lately, but I still hang around on the call. 5+ people in one game is still unplayable, those games never finish and that's not due to slow turn times. Even with 3 people the code is such trash that someone can be set back dozen+ turns when they get temp-dropped and AI peaces out for them and moves everything, all before host can do anything about it but go back a save, only to have more desync/turn rollover taking ages.

I put these two issues above the others, because they're hot garbage and unlike the AI, other games have managed to get them running well. Even within the civ franchise, it was once upon a time possible to have 6+ people on a big map with a fast turn timer and complete the game in a single night, compared to never finishing it because of the horrid net code and the fact that the game stalls you out on poorly-buffered city prompts that shouldn't need to exist for literally > half of turn.

Trade route to any City State should be 1 Envoy while active. Not a quest, just a general mechanism to make it easier to get envoys with bordering City States. Plus City States would be more inclined towards civs that trade with them.

I think it'd be nice if they removed the envoy for first meeting a CS and replaced it with sending a trade route per era. The free envoy for meeting a CS I think is too passive and makes the game luck dependent as that makes a huge difference early on. Or maybe you'd get an envoy for knowing a CS for 30 turns when nobody has put an envoy towards it.

I think it'd be nice if they removed the envoy for first meeting a CS and replaced it with sending a trade route per era. The free envoy for meeting a CS I think is too passive and makes the game luck dependent as that makes a huge difference early on. Or maybe you'd get an envoy for knowing a CS for 30 turns when nobody has put an envoy towards it.

I like getting an envoy for meeting them first, but I would definitely agree that at that stage of the game, 2 science/culture/faith/etc... is just way too valuable as it can double your entire civ's output just due to random variance. I've played some games with no science/cultural city-states near me and I feel like I'm plodding along. But then I have other games where I get a couple free envoys there early, and my science rate is just insane early on.

The vanilla deal screen in particular and the UI in general are terrible. It was really that difficult to see my imported resources and the other guy's imported resources in the same screen? Or just being able to see which lux resources I have without having to dwell trough infinite screens? Checking that manually is the most boring thing in existence.

And also no screen to see which units I have and where they are etc.

And the worst for me is this thing that happens when you go next turn but somehow one unit didn't move and you get interrupted to move it one hex. Really? Was it neccessary to completely break the (already slow) rythm of the game even more?

Missing Hall of Fame.
And easy worldbuilder.
I've been playing Civs for years, since Civ 1. I can get used to new features, some i like more, some i like less, that's normal. but not having hall of fame is just ridiculous.
and easy worldbuilder. I liked playing in a "relax" mode on maps i create, without any special modes.
Actually, these are the two main reasons why, since we have Civ6, i play extremely little, compared to past 20+ years. Yes, i could go back to Civ 5 or so, but older ones i played a lot. I would love to play new one more. But with at least these two things fixed.
and yes, like mentioned above, seeing units i have, and being able to find them easily, esp. on huge maps.

The free envoy for meeting a CS I think is too passive and makes the game luck dependent as that makes a huge difference early on. Or maybe you'd get an envoy for knowing a CS for 30 turns when nobody has put an envoy towards it.

I like getting an envoy for meeting them first, but I would definitely agree that at that stage of the game, 2 science/culture/faith/etc... is just way too valuable as it can double your entire civ's output just due to random variance. I've played some games with no science/cultural city-states near me and I feel like I'm plodding along. But then I have other games where I get a couple free envoys there early, and my science rate is just insane early on.

It's tough, though, with the other game design decisions made in Civ 6, to take this away. It's a key potential benefit to investing early hammers in a Scout (at lower levels where the Scout has a fighting chance to find something) and also provides an incentive to circle your starting Warrior just a little further away from your capital than is strictly safe.

The City State bonus to your capital isn't much different than finding a science wonder for your second city, having a culture luxury near your starting city, etc.

In other words, Civ 6 is such an RNG fest at the beginning of the game anyway, I'm not sure the free City State envoy is the worst of these, and without it, some marginal choices have an even lower chance of paying off.

It's tough, though, with the other game design decisions made in Civ 6, to take this away. It's a key potential benefit to investing early hammers in a Scout (at lower levels where the Scout has a fighting chance to find something) and also provides an incentive to circle your starting Warrior just a little further away from your capital than is strictly safe.

Problem is the higher you go, the more likely the AI is going to find stuff before you because they have more units. Chances are it's going to be decided before your scout can even be complete. And we're talking about stuff like getting the first pantheon and how it's basically just 100% RNG. And if you're not getting an easy envoy, that CS is good as dead since you have no use for it.

Now I agree that RNG is going to be a big deal no matter what, but I think this really doesn't add much to the game. I think that 30 gold reward in Civ 5 seemed like a better idea.

I like the new movement rules. Much more intuitive to my old grognard brain. Being able to enter a 2 MP hex with 1 MP left drove me nuts in Civ 5.

Now I just need someone to explain to me how desert and tundra can be 1 MP hexes the same as grasslands and plains …
Each to their own, but having movement points left over that I can't use at the end of the turn is what I would call the opposite of intuitive. I'm glad they are appealing to some players, though, as they'll be extremely unlikely to change throughout the lifespan of this iteration of Civ.

Agreed. But any place people can't grow food isn't going to be easy to march an army through, camp out in, etc.

Not a big deal. Civ 6 is plenty complex enough as it is. But since they go through the trouble to provide some terrain with combat impacts and terrain impact, it's just a bit funny to me that tundra and desert aren't given an impact.

Agree on the trade route envoy thing.

The more you keep mentioning your point about desert tiles, the more convincing it is. It’s a small point, but I agree it feels out of place once it’s pointed out, and seems like a missed opportunity gameplaywise.

I’m not sure there are any grand mechanics required - maybe just slower movement for non scout units or units can’t heal (a bit like naval units in non home territory). Something simple.

Last edited:
I started a new game with bunch of new mods I wanted to give a go, was using a Giant map with 40+ civs
Got to where it's time to pick a pantheon and because I have so many civs in the game there aren't any left.
And I can't advance past that screen so my game is screwed.

Sorry, Just venting. :p

Moderator Action: Welcome to CivFanatics. This thread is not about mods. If you are having a problem, please go to our Creation and Customization forum and ask about the issue you are having there. Thanks and best of luck. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Little thing: how your counterspy is out of action for a turn when he gets a promotion. That’s when the enemy spy always seems to succeed.

Bigger thing: micro managing to avoid losing science / culture overflow. I spend a lot of energy worrying about when the next boost is coming (or when to pillage or pop scientists) and trying not to do it when I’ve just finished a tech.

Top Bottom