1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What Video Games have you been playing #13 Now with CGA graphics!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Broken_Erika, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

For me, the older games require far too much grinding and are missing all of the quality of life improvements I've come to really enjoy from the 3DS titles to get back into them.

-------

The new Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake for the Switch has a ton of bugs and serious frame rate issues. The frame rate issue is especially baffling to me because it is just a normal cell-shaded/cartoony game with graphics that aren't particularly impressive. There is a rumor that the game was original developed for an upgraded Switch Pro variant which was cancelled and they struggled to port it back to the standard hardware but even if that's true, I just don't understand it as really there's nothing special about it graphically. I also don't really get the appeal of that game either; I'm not big on remakes in general. I think that some early 3D-era games would benefit a lot from remakes as the graphics from early 3D games were awful in many cases. Developers hadn't really figured out good 3D controls back then either, so that's another reason why a remake would be good. But I don't see the point of remaking 2D games as from the SNES era onward, the graphics were mostly fine as-is, same with the controls. I also had an experience with a re-imagined game which ruined the original game for me. I got the 3DS game The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and played through it without realizing it was sort of a remake of A Link To The Past from the SNES. I got to borrow a friends SNES-mini and tried out A Link To The Past with some excitement as I've only ever heard how amazing the game is but as soon as the game started I realized it was the exact same map as A Link Between Worlds and I instantly gave up on it. I don't know, I just had no motivation to replay the same game again, even though it does have a lot of differences.

Well ok, I do get the point of remakes from the perspective of developers: mo' money. But still.

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

In Generation III, it was possible for two Wobbuffet with leftovers to get into an endless standoff. Neither could switch out due to Shadow Tag, they could only counter-attack, and when they finally ran out of PP and were forced into Struggle, the leftovers would just heal them.

Lexicus likes this.
  3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

yeah it's kinda hilarious how they've had to ban certain obscure moves and items because they can cause infinite loops, and you just keep the loop going until the opponent forfeits :D

Well, to be clear getting into the earlier-gen competitive battling scene involves using battle simulator software, not actually playing the games. The battle simulators also make all the stats and stuff transparent so you don't have to use the internet to tell what's going on (I meant to mention that in my last post but forgot). Battle simulators let you build a team from scratch with whatever moves, abilities, individual values, etc. you want (all you have to do is adhere to the clauses for whichever tier you're playing) then uses online matchmaking to set up battles. I actually downloaded one and I think I still have it on my computer but I haven't really used it because like I said before you can't filter stuff by generation and I rather wanted to do that.

I'll admit playing SoulSilver has warmed me up to the idea of later generations, but what I still want is basically a straight remake of earlier games with new-generation mechanics so I can bring in the pokemon I was familiar with when I was a kid. If each generation had its gen1 and 2 remakes I would keep giving Nintendo lots of money.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. aimeeandbeatles

It got fixed in Gen 4, though. If both Pokemon have Shadow Tag, they can switch out, and they increased the damage that Struggle does.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

There's also this.

6. aimeeandbeatles

I remember seeing someone stall out a battle with a Slowbro that had Slack Off, Heal Pulse, Recycle, and a leppa berry. (I forgot the fourth move.) It was great.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Do tell me, O children of the Nineties, was it true in the northern hemisphere as well that it was one's life quest to have a missingno? Because here the average Pokémon player didn't speak English so the meaning was often lost.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  8. aimeeandbeatles

I accidentally tunneled into an extreme hills biome.

I hate silverfish.

9. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The life's quest of the 90's was to get a Mew by walking back and forth by a truck near the cruise ship per early-internet viral instructions which were completely made up and caused us all to waste hours on the effort.

It's funny that decades later they found a real glitch that allows you to get a Mew in Red and Blue by walking in a precise sequence in exactly the right area as it triggers a memory overrun that forces the cartridge to load a Mew into a wild encounter.

10. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

For me it was using the duplication glitch to get infinite rare candies and master balls

11. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

My life's quest in the 90s was to be let out of my room. :(

Birdjaguar and hobbsyoyo like this.
  12. aimeeandbeatles

Also, why did your bedroom take up the entire second floor?

13. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

A while ago I was told about the problems that people are having about what's known so far about Pokémon Sword and Shield. They told me that if anyone complains about the low quality graphics or the lack of older Pokémon in these games doesn't understand how Pokémon games are developed. Instead of one developer, Pokémon games have three developers. I should probably also mention that this is from someone who considers everything Nintendo makes to be either near perfect or absolutely perfect and that the only reason they see for anyone criticising any games made by Nintendo is to be controversial, to make themselves look mature or just trolling.

14. aimeeandbeatles

I was going through my Sims 2 screenshots, and I found this one. I was trying to set up a charming Christmas scene.

15. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

:rotfl: It's like that time recently when people finally managed to make Civ3 allow the barbarians to own cities. Pull and pull and one day it unravels.
    Noted.

16. aimeeandbeatles

Breaking video games is fun.

17. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I think I might add that to my signature.

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Sony has released new details on the PlayStation 5.
    • It's officially called the PlayStation 5 and will release for the holiday season of 2020
    • It will use 100 GB 4K blu ray media discs
    • You will have more options of what parts of games you install compared to previous iterations - you can choose not to install multiplayer on a game if you don't want to, for example (big win for people like me who don't subscribe to online services)
    • The controller triggers will have some sort of haptic feedback - they can resist being pulled to varying degrees, for example
    • The rumble feature on the controllers will have a wider response range which will provide more realistic feedback
    • The controllers look like DualShock 4's and will retain the speakers from the previous model. No word on the stupid light or touchpad but they will use USB C for charging.

Snerk likes this.
  19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Metagame became too centralized and they just didn't consider it a big enough problem to change it. For example starting gen 4 stealth rock is one of the most used moves period. Easily placed and just wrecks such a large percentage of potential pokemon options that it alters the game entirely.

Gen 1 doesn't solve the issue. Gen 3 and before didn't do the physical/special split yet so moves of a particular type are always physical or special (for example fire is always special, even fire punch). Later gens addressed that. Also Gen 1 has glaring balance issues with critical hits and no dark typing + awful bug moves leaving psychic with basically no counters. With no EV system pokemon the pacing is slower too so you see a lot of snorlax tanking setups and such.

Newer gens are probably more balance/have more variety despite their problems. At least we're past the era of permanent weather teams.

I only ever got into this stuff due to battle simulator programs, which let you just set EVs and such when creating pokemon. I've played through up to Gen 5 and that's okay in its own right, but for competitive battling the grind is off-putting and counter to the experience. Note that I haven't done even battle simulators in a few years now, so I'm not well versed in the most recent stuff.

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

My understanding is that gen1 is the most centralized if only because it had the fewest pokemon and moves. Gen2 the best pokemon is Snorlax by far and metagame revolves around tanking and stalling.

I have zero interest in any of the generations since mega-evolutions were introduced. That stuff is stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.