What Video Games Have You Been Playing, Part 10: Or; A Shameful Display!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my list:
Aside from Maskar's I had mostly the same setup on my old computer. I also considered the Oblivion Character Overhaul but decided against it.
No Marts Monster Mod, No Crossbow Mod, No Ran's Immersive Tabaxi race?

I played with at least 100 mods in my Oblivion. :)

I was playing around in The Movies, trying to see if I could make something not laughably horrible. Uh, "trying" is the key word here.

Spoiler :

my mod list:

MMM: this alone is like 30 mods or something, not all are essential
AV uncapper (the single most important mod for oblivion, not even worth playing without imho)
Improved hotkeys
Bashed patch

my built was .. relatively stable. I'm a complete minimalist and will only consider mods that have a big impact, I try to keep my load order as neat as possible.

Here's my list:
Aside from Maskar's I had mostly the same setup on my old computer. I also considered the Oblivion Character Overhaul but decided against it.

that's not "a lot" of mods though, of course oblivion runs stable with a light list like that.

I had a conversation with Mouthwash recently and he said "200 mods for Skyrim is not that much.." 200 :lol:

Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul seems like a huge overhaul mod though. The problem with huge overhaul mod is that it conflict with many mods, the safest way to expand your game if you choose an overhaul mod is using the mod of its recommendation. If not it can be a huge headache especially in Oblivion.

MOO is modular, meaning you can choose exactly what parts of the mod you want to install.

Maskar's is designed for compatibility though

My experience is that Oblivion is borderline unstable with no mods at all.
My experience varies by machine. Some setups could barely run more than 2 minutes without crashing even when unmodded. Others were actually decent even modded,(sometimes running up to 6 hours without crashing) until i had like 200 mods with no merge patches what-so-ever and really poor load order sorting resulting in crashes every 5-15 mins.........

My experience varies by machine. Some setups could barely run more than 2 minutes without crashing even when unmodded. Others were actually decent even modded,(sometimes running up to 6 hours without crashing) until i had like 200 mods with no merge patches what-so-ever and really poor load order sorting resulting in crashes every 5-15 mins.........

Yeah, I've heard that lucking into the mysterious "right hardware combination" can do that. I've just never seen it for myself, including with the machine that my son built specifically to the recommended specs when the game was new.

Now I'm really irked with the whole thing. I was inclined to load it up in the first place by my spiffy new monitor, and figured that I now have at least twice the machine I had when I was playing it last. So I went in thinking that if I was motivated by the monitor I should certainly go with upgraded textures. Clearly, that isn't working, so I'm back looking at a minimal mod load to fix all the glaring gameplay flaws and maybe it will work...but WHY? If I can't take advantage of the cool monitor, why can't I take the frustrating experience and just write this accursed POS game off as the loser it is?

Yeah, I've heard that lucking into the mysterious "right hardware combination" can do that. I've just never seen it for myself, including with the machine that my son built specifically to the recommended specs when the game was new.

Now I'm really irked with the whole thing. I was inclined to load it up in the first place by my spiffy new monitor, and figured that I now have at least twice the machine I had when I was playing it last. So I went in thinking that if I was motivated by the monitor I should certainly go with upgraded textures. Clearly, that isn't working, so I'm back looking at a minimal mod load to fix all the glaring gameplay flaws and maybe it will work...but WHY? If I can't take advantage of the cool monitor, why can't I take the frustrating experience and just write this accursed POS game off as the loser it is?

Man you thinking and sacrificing too much about it, Oblivion is special for me because of its nostalgic value, but if you want to experience it for the first time you need a mod to really makes it seems not dated too much. Even that there are so many flaw in Oblivion that is alright and cool at that time but somewhat awkward today, it suppose to makes you laugh. I'm afraid your struggle is not worth it.

However unmodded oblivion is fine, I play it in many platform across the years, I don't know how many years pass already, how many PC and laptops I use, it is fine. Just download the Mod manager, no need the complicated one like wrye bash and install unofficial oblivion patch and other unofficial patch, it is not a mod it is essential, you cannot play without it, after that your game should be fine, if that also not work just play other game, if you have to put lots of serious effort, put it on a more serious and good quality game. Have you ever play Warband? try that game, it's awesome, and the mod mostly stand alone and very easy to install.

Tim looks plaintively at the camera: "I wish I knew how to quit you, Oblivion."

Tim looks plaintively at the camera: "I wish I knew how to quit you, Oblivion."

It just has so much potential!

Man you thinking and sacrificing too much about it, Oblivion is special for me because of its nostalgic value, but if you want to experience it for the first time you need a mod to really makes it seems not dated too much. Even that there are so many flaw in Oblivion that is alright and cool at that time but somewhat awkward today, it suppose to makes you laugh. I'm afraid your struggle is not worth it.

However unmodded oblivion is fine, I play it in many platform across the years, I don't know how many years pass already, how many PC and laptops I use, it is fine. Just download the Mod manager, no need the complicated one like wrye bash and install unofficial oblivion patch and other unofficial patch, it is not a mod it is essential, you cannot play without it, after that your game should be fine, if that also not work just play other game, if you have to put lots of serious effort, put it on a more serious and good quality game. Have you ever play Warband? try that game, it's awesome, and the mod mostly stand alone and very easy to install.

But, no, unmodded Oblivion is outright crap, IMO.

At the very least you need a stability mod and something that fixes that awful, awful level scaling. I've tried Oblivion XP and while I didn't really like it much myself its definitely worth a look at.

Meanwhile, I think maybe I should look into an alternate start mod. The cart flipped out again.

Last edited:
I've tried Oblivion XP and while I didn't really like it much myself its definitely worth a look at.

Anything that not forcing you to fight with sword, blunt, hand2hand etc just in order you can raise decent amount of strength is worth trying.

I think maybe I should look into an alternate start mod.

If you already play skyrim, that mod is a must, I role play as a dark elf refugee who stays in Solstheim in total poverty then move to Windhelm and suffered generalization and discrimination, that experienced is incredible.

yeah the leveled world is genuinely the worst thing about oblivion. such a shame. I wonder what makes developers make such horrible design decisions, I doubt anyone prefers that mess to a static world like MW.

yeah the leveled world is genuinely the worst thing about oblivion. such a shame. I wonder what makes developers make such horrible design decisions, I doubt anyone prefers that mess to a static world like MW.

Some people said the problem with static world is that it makes stealing item imbalances the game. Some people also said that it also limited the exploration, which I disagree because that should be an advantage more than a disadvantage.

There is a skyrim's mod that changed the skyrim's world to be static, every item were hand picked, bandits are leveled etc. It's nice, it creates the feeling of progress, however you can also exploits the game with such feature, like going to some noble house and steal some glass sword etc.

Last edited:
Update on the flipping cart scenario: It's likely this mod. (Which is weird because I didn't see any custom armour.) I'm going to try disabling it until I get off the cart and see if it works

EDIT: It was already disabled??? I really don't know then

Last edited:
Update on the flipping cart scenario: It's likely this mod. (Which is weird because I didn't see any custom armour.) I'm going to try disabling it until I get off the cart and see if it works

EDIT: It was already disabled??? I really don't know then

The way that I found to get around that problem is to not have any mods installed or the minimum amount of mods (such as the unofficial patches) at the start of the game, then create a save at the earliest possible moment (just before character creation). Use that save when starting a new game with many mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom