What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working my way through the initial section of ER that seems like a tutorial with lots of clues about things. The various keyboard/mouse commands are poorly defined when introduced and seem to involve lots of well timed left hand keystrokes combined with mouse clicks. Hardly player friendly for me. If I hadn't played Skyrim, I'd be totally lost. So far I've just passed through the poison mist that didn't kill me and am dying the warrior that seems to require some special attack/parry sequence from me that I do not know. The graphics are especially good.

I've been unable to find a source for all the keyboard battle commands for PC users.
R = potion
F = jump
X = crouch
roll?

Fun so far.

Oh man, going keyboard. Hard-core PC! The dearth of information is perpetual. One thing that does annoy me is that at no point will the game ever directly tell you what your buffs and debuffs are.
Not sure if this is entirely accurate, but it purports do be the defaults.

Spoiler :

ActionButton
Keyboard
Move
WalkAlt
Move ForwardW
Move BackwardS
Move LeftA
Move RightD
Backstep, Dodge Roll, DashSpace
JumpF
Crouch / Stand UpX
Camera Controls
Move CameraMouse
Reset Camera, Lock-On/Remove TargetQ / Scroll Wheel Click
Switch Armaments
Switch Sorcery/IncantationUp Arrow
Switch ItemDown Arrow
Switch Right-Hand ArmamentRight Arrow / Shift + Scroll Up
Switch Left-Hand ArmamentLeft Arrow / Shift + Scroll Down
Attack
Attack (RH & Two-Handed Armament)Left click
Strong Attack (RH & 2H Armament)Shift + Left Click
Guard (LF Armament)Right Click
SkillShift + Right Click
Use ItemR
Event Action (Examine, Open, etc)E
Two-hand weaponE + Left click/Right click
Misc
Open mapG
Open menuEsc
Use Pouch itemE + Arrows

@Farm Boy How can the spacebar do all three of those?

If you are standing still, tapping it will backstep. It's killed me a lot of times jumping off of ledges. Still sometimes useful.

If you are moving in a direction, tap it and you will roll in that direction. You get some immunity frames while rolling. How many frames and how far you will dodge depend on your encumbrance. You can be low/medium/high encumbrance. You can also be overweight, which I do not recommend. If you have been knocked on your ass, you can also sideroll faster than you can get back up. Took me a while to figure that out.

If you hold the button while moving forward, you will sprint, depleting stamina(when in combat).

Walking is quieter than the default jogging. Sprinting is louder yet. I think how jingly your armor is matters. Different npcs have different levels of awareness. They seem to be largely unaffected by lightsources, except weather and time of day, that I can tell.

I've been unable to find a source for all the keyboard battle commands for PC users.

As they say in Dark Souls Prepare to Die
Later on you will be smashing the keyboard trying to do four keypress combos while avoiding being butt raped by a boss.
In the end I just Sekio it, (just using sword, no items, no combos, no magic) because of how convoluted and messed up the keyboard mouse setup is,

As they say in Dark Souls Prepare to Die
Later on you will be smashing the keyboard trying to do four keypress combos while avoiding being butt raped by a boss.
In the end I just Sekio it, (just using sword, no items, no combos, no magic) because of how convoluted and messed up the keyboard mouse setup is,
That is what I like about PoE; I can left click my mouse and keep it up until the monster is dead. :D

Oh lord, that won't work! Well, it can, depending on the weapon. If all else fails, the NPC summon system is super helpful, and you can brute force many fights by leveling up. Much more so than in previous Souls games. If something is too hard, my best advice for the game is to drop a map marker on it and go somewhere else!

It is easy to lose one's sense of direction. Is there any kind of mini map that tracks one's path through areas?

I get lost a lot.

You'll know it when you see it!

Gotta get a little ways in. I think I've died 6 times since last post. Managed to lose a level's worth the second time. Exploring is fun! Six might be low, they run together.

How does one level? What drives it?

Part of the charm of exploring (and dying)
Its a little bit old school in that you can missed what is pretty big magical (summoning) ability if your not careful, though I believe she dose turn up in your player home later on if you miss her on the beginner area.

Like all souls games you collect "souls" though its called essence from your enemies and wildlife
Going to a fireplace to rest allows you to save as well as level up your stats

Last edited:
You'll know that when you see it, too. Hehe, sorry. FF is right. It's got a... charm. Like a dungeon master with all the time in the world. But the key mechanics usually get relatively well scripted dialogue.

Oh! Read item descriptions. They're all painstakingly crafted. Many have quirks they'll tell you about upfront.

The souls you collect are currency as well as experience but the latter is more important.
A shield with 100% damage absorbency is very useful for blocking but blocking uses up stamina very quickly so being able to parry or dodge roll is better but tougher to do.
Practice fighting against the soldiers you meet early on to teach yourself the basics.

Medieval 2 campaign as France. Early game really turned into a free-for-all as I was forced to largely abandon the French heartland for the physical security offered by the Iberian peninsula after being attacked simultaneously by the English, Scottish, Spanish, Portuguese, Moors, Sicilians, Milanese, Holy Romans, and Poles. The French Monarchy moved its seat to Toledo temporarily.

Now I'm fighting my way into east-central Europe in the north while the Papal States push back into southern France (besieging Marseilles and Dijon) in the south. Once my armies return from the completed invasion of the British Isles I expect to push back into Northern Italy and ultimately to Rome.

The Black Death has passed through so it's all downhill from here, I need about 15 more regions and to hold Jerusalem to win the campaign.

Last edited:
@Birdjaguar I can’t imagine playing with a keyboard and mouse. For so many games that have controller fans, such as shooters, I prefer keyboard and mouse.

But this game is a controller game for sure. Very good with a PlayStation controller, dunno about an Xbox one but probably good on that too since they’re all the same these days, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom