What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I start a new character, do they have to restart at the beginning or can they use my first guy's map? Can I at least skip the tutorial part?

I dunno about Elden Ring, but I first tried the original Dark Souls on M+K and it was awful. The controls felt really clunky, and I'm pretty sure the keybindings (which, at least at the time, couldn't be changed) were chosen by someone who had never seen a keyboard in their life.

I later tried it with a controller on a friend's console, and while still I didn't enjoy it - turns out it's just not my kind of game - it was actually playable, and I definitely came to respect what it was doing. But damn, the PC version was bad.

I'm working my way through the initial section of ER that seems like a tutorial with lots of clues about things. The various keyboard/mouse commands are poorly defined when introduced and seem to involve lots of well timed left hand keystrokes combined with mouse clicks.
I feel a bit let down that when you asked me about Elden Ring you didn't try it, but you jumped in when Hygro did 😢

Anyway, as much as I am a M+K afficionado, the whole Dark Souls serie is NOT designed for this. It's for gamepad through and through. I highly recommand using an official PS4 pad, they are absolutely great (though they require using DS4Windows to be recognized by the game).
As for the interactionss, there is always a prompt if you can do something (activate a lever, talk with a charactger, grab a ressource...), and you get a message if the action is unavailable for now. There is only one "hidden" interaction (the false walls) and they require to be hit/moved against rather than "interacted with" anyway.

PS4 pad is nice but the Xbox one is better I have both;).

I love purist debates though personally it depends on the game genre what I want to use.

Elden Ring has better keyboard interactions than DS1 did. DS1 treated the mouse as an analog stick, which was terrible(I bought my first controller for this game). They also designed the game to play on PC graphics this time, albeit with a frame rate cap of 60(which I could care less about). So it's an improvement. I don't think I could hack it with the combo button presses on a keyboard though.

Take for example a jump attack. On controller that is shove left stick forward left thumb + hold dash(b) for sprint right thumb. When close, roll right thumb also onto jump(a). In air, hold heavy attack right index finger(rt). On keys, that's hold W left middle finger + hold space bar for sprint left thumb. When close, tap F left index finger to jump. In air, hold shift(left pinky) + left click(right index) for strong attack.

Needing to move your fingers off of WASD limits the ability of your character to change direction in combat with the left hand. The orientation probably needs to be changed by adjusting camera with the right hand to allow dodging at oblique angles with W and S, since the middle finger stays static on those most of the time. Unless I'm just crazy, which is possible.

Last edited:
I think I'd be tempted to pick up archery. That would work much better with mouse!

Edit: Ruh roh, harder stuff ahead. A more direct approach to gearing warranted:
Spoiler less finesse :

Last edited:
American Truck Simulator: The Freightliner Cascadia isn't bad. Not bad at all. It's one of the modern trucks, and it has that angled dashboard that I was complaining about earlier, but it has a cool digital display. Also, Oregon is nice. I don't think I ever got that far North before (irl or in the game). afaik, it was pure kismet that I was driving a Cascadia in Oregon.

??? :faint:

Not even Atari 2600 or Commodore 64?

Not even once with kids, grandkids, nephews, nieces on their consoles?? :confused:
My kids played on PCs at our house (we had two) and on consoles when they went to friends' houses. We never bought them consoles. (None were needed when PCs were so much better! ;) ) I played with both our kids on networked PCs (Diablo 2 mostly) and included their friends via internet connections. IIRC our kids never even asked for any of the consoles. Friends on the street had them and that seemed to be enough.

PS4 pad is nice but the Xbox one is better I have both;).

I love purist debates though personally it depends on the game genre what I want to use.
Must really depends on morphology, because I absolutely loathe the Xbox pad. Much too big and unyieldy, with huge button hard to press, it gives me pain in the hands after mere minutes.
PS4 pad is light and precise in comparison (especially the shoulder buttons).

Must really depends on morphology, because I absolutely loathe the Xbox pad. Much too big and unyieldy, with huge button hard to press, it gives me pain in the hands after mere minutes.

Fair enough the Xbox pad hasn't flanged much in 20 odd years. I like the offset thumbs ticks and the ergonomics.

Big dude though.

PS4 is very good pad as well I like it. PS3 and earlier was a bit small.

Agreed. My clunky ass hands still sometimes depress left stick click when I don't want to, and Playstation and Switch controllers are both really too small for me to want to use for long. Haven't used the newest PS ones, tho.

Not only friends. The two of you ran an advice thread together where, if he'd known about it, Caesar of Bread could have directed his requests for dating advice.

I think he just means "Elden Ring" not "any game whatsoever."

I feel a bit let down that when you asked me about Elden Ring you didn't try it, but you jumped in when Hygro did
Ah... don't take it personally; after all Hygro wears cool hats, he is not from some foreign land, you joined CFC before me and not after, he has more trophy points; but I will say your avatar is cooler than his. :p

Well, well, well. A victory that actually took me quite the effort. I started out as the Greeks in the small yet fertile island to the south and settled it properly. It had iron and horses, so logically I started stacking up hoplites and sent a couple of galleys to take some luxuries up north (Ephesos and Mykenai) amid the barbarians. In Pharsalos there is a Colossus, courtesy of a science leader, so I imported ivory from the Portuguese to my east and BING!, I managed to build the Statue of Zeus. Since I'd managed to set up the city of Argos peacefully on the German side of the straits, the dilemma was whether to go Alexander on the Germans or on the Mongols.
But first the Russians (guilty of mis-settlement, see the egregious situations with the double sugar) attacked Ephesos. They failed miserably, to the point that they triggered not only a golden age but a leader - I suddenly had an 8-HP super-hoplite against whom even horsemen couldn't retreat. They sued for peace.
Right as I managed to finish building the Knights Templar I realised that an ROP me tous Germanous was about to end, so I waited for one further turn and, having built the Heroic Epic as well, I launched 10 hoplites and an equal number of ancient cavalry into the German front. Heidelbourgon fell and was properly Hellenised at the first strike, then the Germans sent all of their archers and spearmen in (it's highly curious that they could have so many close to our shared border, right?) and, three leaders later, Greece had conquered all the German continent and also Stuttgart and Bremen.
Then the Babylonians decided to break a long-standing friendship and attacked the Bremen-Stuttgart corridor. Logically, an army of Knights was shipped over by Caravel and then joined by more knights and took the Babylonians head-on. Other than the odd musketman lost and some pillaged tiles, there wasn't much to gain compensation for so the city of Larsa and the remaining 19 gold in Hammurabi's treasury were enough -an army of Crusaders had set forth from Xessalonica and was pillaging tiles and capturing workers around Izibia. As a sidenote, Hammurabi mis-spent his treasury's earnings on bribing the Sumerians to attack us from their continent, but they were conquered by our Roman and Persian friends one turn later.
Xessalonica was founded because the Mongols had meanwhile trusted their culture and had been crushed by a double attack from Celts and Russians and a lot of land had been cleared in the process. Rhodos, Artemision and Miletos soon followed. Then it was time for barbarian to turn on barbarian and the Russians attacked the Celts, which led to the founding of Phokaia, Sicyon, Gortyn, Megara, Tegea and Syrakousai. By this time the Greeks were comfortably in the lead; the Germaniacs' ruling dynasty had been thoroughly exterminated -it's one of the cities on that little crappy island to the north of the continent.
All was set for a diplomatic victory when our lifelong friends the Mongols decided to die in battle rather than vote for us. In 1735 AD they sent out some spearmen and longbowmen to capture two workers around Tegea. Naturally, within two rounds of battle even the spearmen fell to our armies of tanks and crusaders and Temujin's ill-judged move was properly punished.

Mytilene was founded simply to have another port in front of Ashur, and it turned out to have an aluminum mine. Notice how the Celts survive only because of protection by Greek ceremonial units and how the Mongols were about to get the same protection. In the end, only Gandhi, who treacherously joined an embargo against us, voted the Maya instead of us. 11-2 in all, with Germany (finished off by Babylon) , Mongolia and Sumeria destroyed.
Also, it was a lot of fun to see the AI trying to get to the nearest strait to suddenly see it blocked and retreat. Hehehe.

Onwards to the next game! 3690 points might be a bit low, but for most of the game Greece was just the small initial island and then the Germanoi took a long time to bring up to speed - you can see how I founded 5 cities in their territory without destroying any existing one.

(composite image, all wrongs preserved, by Takhisis misimaging services)

Attachments

• emperorgreeksarchipelago1745ad.jpg
    emperorgreeksarchipelago1745ad.jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 14
I feel a bit let down that when you asked me about Elden Ring you didn't try it, but you jumped in when Hygro did 😢

Anyway, as much as I am a M+K afficionado, the whole Dark Souls serie is NOT designed for this. It's for gamepad through and through. I highly recommand using an official PS4 pad, they are absolutely great (though they require using DS4Windows to be recognized by the game).
As for the interactionss, there is always a prompt if you can do something (activate a lever, talk with a charactger, grab a ressource...), and you get a message if the action is unavailable for now. There is only one "hidden" interaction (the false walls) and they require to be hit/moved against rather than "interacted with" anyway.
Hah well in fairness I basically said it was amazing and you mostly talked about what annoyed you. :lol:

In other news, Hygro liking the same games as Akka continues.
I thought we were friends!
Okay play Elden Ring with a keyboard and mouse and then with a controller, or the other way around, and let me know if my rare preference for a controller for this game is so bad ;)

FrostPunk - I'm past the 100 day mark and got the achievement for doing so in my current standard difficulty Endless Mode game on "The Builders" scenario (which forces you to build a generator from scratch). I think I'm up to day 115... I also managed to get the max population achievement (AFAIK) of 700 population (you can get more pop, but 700 is the maximum the game seems to recognize as an achievement. What is cool is that I discovered that you can still find survivors this deep into your endless run. I've actually found survivors in Frostland using my scouts, 3 post-storm periods in a row. I've lost count of what storm I am on at this point, but they are 2 days long now (which starts on day 50 IIRC) and require running the generator on overdrive to maintain livable heat in structures. Since the storms come around 10 days apart, I'm thinking I am on storm 10 or 11 by now.

The bummer is that I can't find the last Relic-Hulk, which is a crashed abandoned ark/steam engine that you randomly find lost in frost land and contains a relic that you can store in your archives. The hulks were appearing regularly, after each storm, and would reappear in different places if you missed out on one because of the storm setting in before you could reach it. I've found 14 of the 15 available relics, but now the hulks don't seem to appear anymore :confused:. I thought that maybe the appearance of hulks and survivors expired after a certain number of days, but no... after surviving multiple storms with no survivors being found, I am starting to find survivors again, but sadly, no hulks. I just need one more to complete the relics-quest.

Another possibility I can think of, is that because I reached one hulk but left the relic in place because I didn't have the resources to explore the transport hulk safely. I wonder if doing, that, ie finding a hulk but choosing to "come back later" instead of exploring it, causes you to forfeit that particular relic if the storm comes in before you make it back to the hulk. If that is the case, i'm screwed, and I'd have to start over to get the achievement :sad: Another possibility is that I'm just not exploring far enough. You don't have enough time to explore all available sites, even with a maximum number of fully upgraded scouts... so maybe what is happening, is that because I only have one relic left, the location is too remote, and I just keep failing to get to it before I have to turn back because of the storm.

I've reached a point where my stockpiled coal over 600,000 and other resources are well above 10,000 units for every category, and I am even stockpiling dozens of generator-building tools like structural profiles, even though these are apparently obsolete once you build the generator. Half of my map (Flats, so the largest map available) is covered with large supply depots to store all my stockpiled resources. Also, all three of the other allied settlements are fully developed, so I can't do any more to help them, or send them any more people. So I'm not sure what else I can do. It does not seem to be getting any colder, and all of my resource producing facilities are maxed out. My tech is maxed out, so I actually had to dismantle all of my NG bays to allow me to build more depots (I found out that the game has a maximum number of structures that you can actually build).

At this point it appears that I can last indefinitely, which is a disappointment, because I thought that the weather keeps getting colder until you could no longer survive, but that does not appear to be the case. I can easily outlast all storms because I have plenty of stockpiled coal and food. My current coal stockpile is enough to last 6 months. I guess I could try to finish fully automating my settlement by finding more steam cores in Frostland and building more automatons. Then my people would literally be able to sit in their homes all day and not have to work, but i don't know if I'd even get an achievement for that. My city is almost fully automated, with the only remaining jobs being 1. Scouts, 2. gatherers for the coal coming from thumpers, 3. Charcoal Kiln workers (which I only use because I had nothing else to do with all the wood I was producing) 4. Hunters Hangar Aeronaughts. I can slowly replace all the hunters with automated Industrial Hothouses (greenhouses), and shut down the Thumpers/gathering posts, along with the Kilns, because I don't need any more coal, and can't store any more coal surplus.

I guess I could also finish out the policy tree for "Order", which I haven't needed to do... but IIRC I think that completing it may activate the fascism/dictatorship versus communism storyline, which I have been trying to avoid... but i guess I should just go for it since there does not seem to be much else to do, other than start over on a higher difficulty level and/or harder map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom