What videogames have you been playing? version 1.22: What's with that plural?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I laughed.

Spoiler :

I don't get it, but I still feel it. :cool:

Hello.

My username is Takhisis. I am a player of civ3 and have been so for two decades.

Everything was fine.

But then, last year somebody posting under the alias of Pelo McSoy disparaged my abilities at the game of Civilization III. Furthermore, this individual claimed that if I was capable of winning a one-city challenge he would ingest his own headgear. My honour was cast into doubt.
Well, today I sat down and played an evening of civ3 and won a game under the previously stipulated conditions.

The settings were as follows. Difficulty: regent; map: archipelago, large, 60% water.
No settlers ever built. No cities ever conquered.
Wonders built: Hanging Gardens, Colossus, Lighthouse, Library, Sistine Chapel, Copernicus, Shakespeare, Newton, Knights Templar, JS Bach, Smith's, Universal Suffrage, Hoover Dam, ToE, Mausoleum + Intelligence Agency.
Final unit roster: 6× Worker, 9× Infantry, 3× Artillery, 33× Crusader.
Units lost: 1 Dromon and Spearman (sunk by Iroquois privateers), 1 Caravel (dismantled to rush factory). Edit: 1 Curragh lost to an ambush by barbarian galleys.
Units captured 2 Iroquois workers (one captured in warfare and turned into a colony, the other joined into city population).
20047 Culture.

@Pelo McSoy, please eat your hat.

Attachments

• civ3-Regent-OCC-byzantines-1852ad.jpg
    civ3-Regent-OCC-byzantines-1852ad.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
At this point it appears that I can last indefinitely, which is a disappointment, because I thought that the weather keeps getting colder until you could no longer survive, but that does not appear to be the case.
Nope, the big storms are the hard test, once you can guarantee to pass them each time you've effectively "won". The difficulty comes in being able to prepare in time.
If you want a challenge, try the best ending for "Fall of Winterhome". That's the only one I never managed to get yet.

Nope, the big storms are the hard test, once you can guarantee to pass them each time you've effectively "won". The difficulty comes in being able to prepare in time.
If you want a challenge, try the best ending for "Fall of Winterhome". That's the only one I never managed to get yet.
I went ahead and finished the Order policy tree, and as I suspected, it sets off a new storyline with new events. The downside is, that since my city is so well supplied, the events don't really matter. I have so much of every resource and so many surplus citizens that events which would have been a big problem early on in the game aren't even significant enough to be a minor nuisance. The random brush with dissenters/informants/bullies just isn't enough to make the game challenging anymore. So I think that you are right that I could just declare victory and go home at this point.

Something I did notice, was that there are some achievements I could snag for "fully automating" the city. I would only need a few more automatons to do that, but that means I'd have to go through a few more storms to collect the necessary steam cores. It kinda sucks that you can never learn to build your own steam cores.

As for the "Fall of Winterhome" scenario, I already "won" that one, but are you talking about some specific acheivement? Like no deaths or something along those lines. "Fall of Winterhome" was pretty good scenario, I'd say its probably the best one, if you put aside the novelty of the original scenario, "A New Home" where you build Winterhome in the first place. "The Arks", "The Refugees" and "The Last Autumn" were not as good as "fall of Winterhome" in my estimation.

At any rate, I've started a new game, this time on Endurance mode, again on the "Flats" map-type, with the difficulty level turned all the way up to Extreme. This one has been kicking my ass properly and I've lost (or had to restart because it was hopeless) multiple times so far. The farthest I've made it so far has been day 10 or so before everything starts falling apart. I haven't been able to even make it through the first storm yet.:lol: One thing playing on max difficulty does, is force you to be really efficient (and correct) with your tech and policy choice timing. I think that I've at least figured out that you have to beelinethe "Overcrowding" policy for your medical tents or else your people start dropping like flies due to a lack of treatment.

Last edited:
I went ahead and finished the Order policy tree, and as I suspected, it sets off a new storyline with new events. The downside is, that since my city is so well supplied, the events don't really matter. I have so much of every resource and so many surplus citizens that events which would have been a big problem early on in the game aren't even significant enough to be a minor nuisance. The random brush with dissenters/informants/bullies just isn't enough to make the game challenging anymore. So I think that you are right that I could just declare victory and go home at this point.
Basically, any "tech" bring some events, and the further down you go into the "ideological paths", the more fanatic your society becomes, leading to stronger events. Not "going past the line" where you goes into morally blamable decisions is a common self-imposed rule (it's pretty murky in-game, the only actual check is when you get "but I think we didn't cross the line" during the post-game sequence in the scenarios).
As for the "Fall of Winterhome" scenario, I already "won" that one, but are you talking about some specific acheivement? Like no deaths or something along those lines.
I was talking about completely filling the evacuation vehicle (best I got was maybe 4/6 rooms). No death is a bonus, but it's an extremely difficult one to get considering the panic moments toward the end. If you already managed to get 6/6 rooms on this scenario, I'm afraid there is nothing left to accomplish (save maybe doing it in harder difficulties).
"Fall of Winterhome" was pretty good scenario, I'd say its probably the best one, if you put aside the novelty of the original scenario, "A New Home" where you build Winterhome in the first place. "The Arks", "The Refugees" and "The Last Autumn" were not as good as "fall of Winterhome" in my estimation.
"A New Home" isn't the original "Winterhome", it's canonically "New London". "Winterhome" is chronologically happening before "A New Home" (as you actually FIND the destroyed site of Winterhome during the game, which is the cause of the Londoneer story arc).
At any rate, I've started a new game, this time on Endurance mode, again on the "Flats" map-type, with the difficulty level turned all the way up to Extreme. This one has been kicking my ass properly and I've lost (or had to restart because it was hopeless) multiple times so far. The farthest I've made it so far has been day 10 or so before everything starts falling apart. I haven't been able to even make it through the first storm yet.:lol: One thing playing on max difficulty does, is force you to be really efficient (and correct) with your tech and policy choice timing. I think that I've at least figured out that you have to beelinethe "Overcrowding" policy for your medical tents or else your people start dropping like flies due to a lack of treatment.
I found the game hard enough in normal difficulty, not going to try anything harder, good luck ^^

Basically, any "tech" bring some events, and the further down you go into the "ideological paths", the more fanatic your society becomes, leading to stronger events. Not "going past the line" where you goes into morally blamable decisions is a common self-imposed rule (it's pretty murky in-game, the only actual check is when you get "but I think we didn't cross the line" during the post-game sequence in the scenarios).
There are definitely in-game cues to let you know when you have "crossed the line". One thing that happens, is that after the morning announcement changes from the generic "Get going!" and/or "The work day starts!" into the initial theocratic/faith or autocratic/order morning announcement, into something much more extreme and hostile and/or fanatical sounding. The other thing I noticed, is that the background music changes into something much more sinister sounding.

Of course, by then, you have already made the choice that "went too far".
I was talking about completely filling the evacuation vehicle (best I got was maybe 4/6 rooms). No death is a bonus, but it's an extremely difficult one to get considering the panic moments toward the end. If you already managed to get 6/6 rooms on this scenario, I'm afraid there is nothing left to accomplish (save maybe doing it in harder difficulties).
Oh I see. I don't remember for sure, but I think I did fill all the rooms on standard difficulty.
"A New Home" isn't the original "Winterhome", it's canonically "New London". "Winterhome" is chronologically happening before "A New Home" (as you actually FIND the destroyed site of Winterhome during the game, which is the cause of the Londoneer story arc).
Oh, I did not remember that. I could have sworn that the original was called Winterhome, but what you are saying seems right. I was thinking that the Londoners was part of the "The Refugees" scenario, but now I remember that it was the opposite. The Refugees wanted to come into the city, whereas the Londoners wanted to leave in order to return to London. What I liked about the Fall of Winterhome scenario is that you get to see what a city looks like after they depose the leader and all hell breaks loose. Removing all the burned out structures added an authentic touch.
I found the game hard enough in normal difficulty, not going to try anything harder, good luck ^^
The game is pretty challenging, you're right, even on standard difficulty. I always get deposed and have to reload from saves to complete the scenarios. Extreme difficulty level is borderline masochistic, frankly.:lol:

Overall, the game is pretty immersive though, the ambient sounds, voices, citizens' audible curses and laughter, and giving the citizens names and photos really adds to the immersion. Also, the music is excellent for setting the mood of desperation and despair, complete with super sad, feeling-sorry-for-ourselves-violin music.

I saw Quill18 playing it some years ago and, from my distant memory, it seemed pretty clear what was too far gone, but maybe that was with the benefit of Quill's commentary.

I ran a randomizer on my game backlog and it picked for me System Shock 2. Nice!

I like that the game lets you fill your inventory with potted plants

Also the game doesn't pause while in inventory. No wonder I kept dying in the radiation-filled areas...

Calling all POE players: I have collected 40 or 50 Blight maps of all sorts, white, yellow, and red. I struggle to do them solo because covering multiple strands for melee can be a challenge. The maps are in standard. So, I am looking for anyone who would like to run one or lots of them of any level and share all the loot. To be successful you will need an appropriate level toon for the level maps you want to run. My atlas tree is set up to maximize Blight loot. I'm in NM and 7 hours earlier than London. I will work to accommodate any European players to make the play time suitable. Let me know if your interested. I will likely play a level 93 sword and shield Slayer.

I'm on mid-league burn-out when it comes to PoE, so I'll pass on the offer, but I will say that the best advice I've had for Blighted maps was to combine level 3 earth and level 3 support (I forget the names) towers. When combined, everything not immune to earth is perma-stunned. Back this up with the damage tower of your choice (I like the firestorm ones) and you only need to pay any attention to a direction when the earth mobs are coming. Make sure you don't upgrade the earth or support towers to level 4 though, the upgrades do different things from the baseline ones.

Last edited:
Anyone tried "Atomic Heart" already?
Looks cool, but I think I'll wait for more reviews before buying.

Spoiler Trailer :

Anyone tried "Atomic Heart" already?
Looks cool, but I think I'll wait for more reviews before buying.

Spoiler Trailer :
I haven't. It'd been on my keep-an-eye-out list for so long, I'd totally forgotten about it. I'm not sure that type of RPG/FPS fires my engines anymore. I tried a few hours of The Outer Worlds 2-3 years ago, and even though I hadn't played it before, I really felt like I'd played it before and it couldn't hold my attention.

I'm on mid-league burn-out when it comes to PoE, so I'll pass on the offer, but I will say that the best advice I've had for Blighted maps was to combine level 3 earth and level 3 support (I forget the names) towers. When combined, everything not immune to earth is perma-stunned. Back this up with the damage tower of your choice (I like the firestorm ones) and you only need to pay any attention to a direction when the earth mobs are coming. Make sure you don't upgrade the earth or support towers to level 4 though, the upgrades do different things from the baseline ones.
Thanks, On regular maps with Blight, I can do OK using frost circles and Arc towers. The frost circles work very well at slowing/stopping mob progress. I will take a look at your earth/support suggestions.

EDIT: I checked the wiki. I guess you are referring to seismic towers and empowering towers. It had lots of good info that was new to me. I will try out some new combos.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 next-gen edition on PS5.

I had an account based on another nation in which I had a platinum. I created one that is Brazil based a few years ago, so I had to got a platinum in that as well.

Now they dropped the next gen and bollocks - it's a different trophy collection. So I'm going for yet another platinum for it.

I'm generally not obsessive with trophies at all, but I like that game enough to warranty it.

Crazy thing is: I also have a copy on PC. But I swear I won't get a plantinun in that, just try Mods in the future...

Regards :).

Witcher 3 next-gen edition on PS5.

I had an account based on another nation in which I had a platinum. I created one that is Brazil based a few years ago, so I had to got a platinum in that as well.

Now they dropped the next gen and bollocks - it's a different trophy collection. So I'm going for yet another platinum for it.

I'm generally not obsessive with trophies at all, but I like that game enough to warranty it.

Crazy thing is: I also have a copy on PC. But I swear I won't get a plantinun in that, just try Mods in the future...

Regards :).
I can definitely relate to trophy hunting. I used to be big into it.

Anybody tried Company of Heroes 3 yet?

Anybody tried Company of Heroes 3 yet?
I haven't but the friends I have at the wargaming forum I'm a member of tell me they like it. There are some minor issues with zooming in and out of the battle map (not the strategic map) but other than that the game is solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom