1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What was your favorite job?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civvver, Nov 21, 2019.

1. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yes, quite the luxury. I can't even escape it in the shower. But only 3 months to go.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The most fun I had at a job was at a pizza place when I was in high school. The owner stole wages on the regular and threw kitchen implements around the kitchen in fits of rage but the crew was really nice and we had a lot of fun. That job also gave me my first-ever promotion, they moved me from dishwashing to line cook after a couple of months. The owner told me I was the only white guy he had hired that was worth anything in the last couple of years which I thought was hilarious.

Kyriakos likes this.
  3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

There are only 2 jobs which I really had:
    Intern (well, military replacement service) at a youth hostel, and now researcher.
    The youth hostel job was obviously crap. You had to do every mind numbing work, without any influence on anything, you had to deal with the guests, and you never really had a relaxing time and most of the time just stress.
    The job as a reseacher is great. My job is interesting, I get to read a lot, I am pretty independent, I come and go whenever I want (except when it's teaching time), and not much official pressure. It can be scary for various reasons (what if I don't find anything interesting? What if the money runs out? etc), but that's not for every day. It's a great job, I don't want to change it.

Snerk and Synsensa like this.
  4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

In the mid 90s, I was the Marketing Director for one of the largest MTG card distributors in the country. We typically received 20-30 pallets of cards at a time. It was great fun being on the front edge of that success.

hobbsyoyo, The_J and Synsensa like this.
  5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Current job is quickly becoming my favorite job.

Kyriakos, The_J, Snerk and 3 others like this.
  6. dusters

dusters Fairy

Complecting PCs and tailoring towards client's needs was great.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    hobbsyoyo likes this.
  7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

What is Complecting?

8. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:agree: which is a really sad thing to say. :shake:

Kyriakos likes this.
  9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

When I was 19, I somehow ended up being a shift supervisor at a sports bar. The owner was a massive alcoholic and never did inventory. After most closes, a coworker and I would head to the basement, get drunk for free while playing video games on a 100" projector.

The job itself kinda sucked though.

Kyriakos, Socrates99 and cardgame like this.
  10. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

IIRC Whomp was a broker in Chicago. I guess the bull market over the last decade filled his retirement account nicely. I wonder what he is up to? What did you do for him?

12. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Well now I want to know Narz's story :(

My fave job is my most recent, driving a truck for a landscaping company. Lots of variety day to day, usually very little manual labor, still nothing close to as boring as an office job. Stressful at times, absolutely, but nothing to take home and stress about.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  13. Darsnan

Darsnan King

My favorite job was doing upgrades and bug fixes on air traffic control systems (the big systems, like LAX, Orlando, JFK): being up in the tower at LAX watching the system in action was one of the more cool things I've done in this life.

D

The_J likes this.
  14. abradley

abradley Emperor

My favorite job was back in the late 40's, it was construction work, I was pilot of a wheelbarrow, loaded the contraption with sand and hauled that over to another pile, dumped that load there, went back for a refill and dumped it. This went on for the whole day. Didn't have to fire anyone or make any decisions ... Wonderful.

Hygro likes this.
  15. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Basic stuff, a lot of phone calls and spreadsheet organizing. Stuff for others in the office as well. There were 200 people and in 3 months I could tell you everyone’s name, location, job, and describe their personality and often a bit more. I did really well in a super structured environment filled with people who were very honest about what their missions were. I had never in my life been consistently motivated to stay serious and on task in a group environment.

In that sense the better question is “what did whomp do for me” and it was so much. He and others. It was supposed to be the start of a finance career but I wasn’t ready to commit to it as the sirens call of music was great.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Mansplaining Fool

Your late 40s, or the late 40s?

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I quite enjoyed when I worked for the Traffic Director for London's Office.
    I used to wander the streets of London checking the conditions of the signs on the Red Route system.
    Great job when the weather was nice, not so good when it rained.

Birdjaguar and hobbsyoyo like this.
  18. abradley

abradley Emperor

The Late 40s, was about 14ish and in the future when ever I'd get fed up with later jobs I'd look back on that one as the ideal.

The_J, Kyriakos, Hygro and 1 other person like this.
  19. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Superconductor Moderator

My favorite job was working in the mental hospital. Some really high comedy happens at those places (yes, I know it's non PC, but the job is so stressful that you take humour where you find it). We had a great crew and the patients in my unit were a lot of fun too.

That all changed when I became head nurse in the high security unit. I still had to work in rotation with the other staff. You were basically in a cage all day unless the patients were locked down. Pretty scary.

The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  20. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Mansplaining Fool

When I did gardening/grounds maintenance for 2 or 3 years. The work was essentially drudgery and depending on the weather could be quite unpleasant, and the people we worked for were generally rather horrible. But on the other hand my "boss" was an old friend from school so it was nice to spend the day working with him anyway, it was just the two of us largely left to our own devices, it was satisfying to get stuff done and working with big chunky oily bits of machinery is always fun. Just didn't really pay enough.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  21. wolfigor

wolfigor Emperor

Probably the job I enjoyed the most was being a software architect for the OS used in a large number of early smartphones.
    I was facing really iteresting problems to be solved with knowledge and creativity, and regorous practices to guarantee backward compatibility as well as features evolution.
    There was a huge satisfaction by working with extremely talented (and somehow rather weird) people and the feeling of your work being used daily by millions of people.
    Intellectually it was very stimulating.

Birdjaguar, The_J and hobbsyoyo like this.