What would you like to see in a 3rd expansion?

I would like to see Civ 7 instead of another expansion that is almost the same price as a whole new game.
Price? You have to pay around a year after last exp. i dont know why people complain about the price so long after the last release. plenty of time to save money between exp.
Anyway i would also like another expansion before Civ 7

I'd like more mechanics that shake up established empires. The biggest problem with civ is that past a certain point it's usually clear which civ will win and you're just playing for achievements from then on.

Maybe more fleshed out revolts, civil wars, distant colonies declaring independence etc... It seems like that would be easier for firaxis to implement than improving the AI...

More depth to existing features would be nice too. Free cities becoming fully independent, city states going to war and expanding dragging suzerains into wars, overhauled diplomacy, improvements to religion and some great person use with great prophet points got the whole game, more units, improvements to warfare gameplay with something new I could go on but you get the point, the possibilities are there.

And this is without even mentioning corporations, ideologies, economic victory and why not, more eras such as enlightenment in between renaissance and industrial.

They could really do a lot with world wars, cold wars and ideology if only they completely overhauled diplomacy.

Here is my quick, off the cuff, wish list for a 3rd expansion:
- New civs
- More alt leaders
- New mechanics: corporations, disease, economic sanctions
- New victory: economic victory
- More depth to existing mechanics: changes to loyalty that add revolts and civil wars, a "senate" that can change your policy cards.

Flesh out barbarians. Have them morph late game into a terrorist faction occupying unsettled parts of the map with extremely aggressive AI and their own unique units.

Barbs as terrorists sounds like a great idea but I don't think it would be implemented due to what a sensitive topic terrorists are.

I think it would be interesting to see some form of the stone age implemented. I'm not sure how that would work exactly but it would be interesting to see what they could come up with.

Barbs as terrorists sounds like a great idea but I don't think it would be implemented due to what a sensitive topic terrorists are.

I think it would be interesting to see some form of the stone age implemented. I'm not sure how that would work exactly but it would be interesting to see what they could come up with.

I imagine a quasi-standalone game with its own tech/culture tree and units and rules for "settling" (moving around your encampments and roving bands). You'd gain new "governments" or rules of social organization as you advance. There would be more of a micro focus as you control families instead of cities, with the environment posing even more of a role. There probably wouldn't be civ "names" as we know them, as you'd be way more local than that; but then as you get to winning by building the first city, the map zooms out, you choose a civ, and begin play.

Perhaps a new mechanic or two could bleed over into "traditional" civ, but I think this would be a way of adding cool new content without over-saturating game play.

I do like the idea of being able to see your start and then choose your Civ. Not every game but it would add variety.

* Maya
* Morocco
* Portugal
* Burma
* Swahili
* Navajo
* ???
* ???

??? Probably European or Middle Eastern civs. Don't really care which, but I think Italy, Armenia, and Ireland are frontrunners, possibly Bulgaria. Byzantium might happen but I frankly don't want it unless they have at least one more expack planned.

Mechanics:

* Corporations. Add more uses for luxury items. Create another population dynamic surrounding cults of consumption as a competitor with religion and loyalty.

* Health. New science district, old district is "research campus," new district is "health campus." Disease mechanic. Maybe some more medical techs and bioengineering late game.

* Multiple third tier buildings for districts to allow late game pivoting.

* More interaction with the smaller guys. City state puppeting. Also maybe a rudimentary Barb/goody diplomacy, give them names and allow players to absorb villages as tribal land districts. Maybe tie into a village mechanic where settlers found villages that only grow into cities after ten turns (allowing removal of forward settling without warmongering penalties).

* Secularist aspect to the religion system.

Reworked Free cities ... make them important part of game. Todays most powerfull Civ in real world is USA, which was free city in 1776 --- I dont expect in Civ game to have such possibilities, but make Free Cities at least as City State.
This, so much, probably one of the most disappointed and failed features of the game. When it was presented, they made it sound like the free cities would actually work as individual identities. Instead we got a barbarian camp without the actual thread of a barbarian camp.

I'd also like for happiness to play a greater part in empire stability. As it is now, you can have a city run unhappy for prolonged time without anything really happening. If you have a city run unhappy, it should suffer loyalty penalty the longer it goes on. This would also be a pretty efficient tool in controlling rapid expansion.

Otherwise, as new features, I'm still rooting for corporations as coming back as some industrial-era-onwards resource management, where you can put your resources to work in factories and make new luxury resources - Toys, Jeans, Perfume and Cosmetics, to name a few possible examples.

Also like some more love to be put into the espionage system. Not a fan of the random promotions. I'd rather see actual promotion trees and a dedicated district (can be once per civ, like the Government plaza). Religion system could also need some tweaks, like reforming another religion if you don't get to found your own.

As for civs, I'm not too bothered as long as Mayas are in. Would also be happy to see Babylon and Vietnam.

Not including Babylonia would be breaking 25+ years of precedent over 6 iterations in a storied franchise. That's bigger. It's like omitting a major character.They could always just add them as DLC though.

elizabeth :,(

Reactions: j51
For a third DLC? Not much is calling out to me.

Perhaps fantasy or scifi makeover 'mods' like they did for....4? Recreate master of magic or another, better attempt at SMAC.

I would like to see some more mechanics that help tall over wide. I don't think punishing wide is the right way to go like they did in V. But making wide empires more difficult to manage. Maybe reduced loyalty pressure per citizen for each city you have? Or some other interesting mechanic that will improve the game difficulty a bit.

Basically i want mechanics that make the game harder without relying on AI. So more PvE difficulty added too the game

I'd like a 3rd expansion rather than starting over with a civ7.

Unfortunately i think that it's unlikely (but not impossible).

About the possible content, i don't know what they could add to the gameplay (i mean in a significative way), but it could at least consolidate GS mechanics, like GS is going to consolidate some R&F mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rup
Some very good ideas in the thread so far.

Disease / Healthcare mechanic - maybe better implemented with the Hospital as a city center building or a Research Hospital in the Campus district.

Corporations / Economic Victory - Even though corporations are a re-hash from earlier Civ games, much can be added. For example, a worldwide stock exchange of some type. Maybe some "pantheon" type mechanic here as well.

Vassals - Another re-hash. Maybe limit them to earlier eras and at some point they either break away or join the civilization.

An alternate leader for all civs that don't already have one.

The Maya and several civs we've never played before.

Allied victories.

Extra Terrestrials and everything about them from ancient times to more recent UFO encounters, and discovering their home world in the future era.

- A focus on Colonization mechanics, including a brand new continent that isn't settled pre-game, so that we have an incentive to head out and colonize it.
- A focus on Trade and Trade Networks, hooking up resources must be required in order to gain benefits of it in everycity, no longer does hooking it up on an isolated mid-land city will allow you to take advantage of it all the way to the edge of the world.
- The best of the best, bringing back the fan favorites and other reoccuring civs such as Byzantium, Maya, Ethiophia and Babylon, as well as a return of less known ones such as Hitties.
- More alt leaders.
- Disease/Health system to be brought back from Civ 4, including the occurence of Great Plagues a la RFC.
- More scenarios
- Revamped tech and civic trees so they feel more cohesive, similiar to how God and Kings revamped the tree from Civ 5, including a more balanced of items and removal of bloated items.
- More units, including the return of Trebuchets, Composite Bowmen, WWI Tanks, etc.
- Return of classic wonders such as The Globe Theatre, Notre Dame, Pentagon, Statue of Zeus, Sistine Chapel.
- DLL for modders.
- more Music, so we have more variety rather than the repeat of the same songs over and over again.

I supposed it was made on purpose to have units stay longer

Probably since if there are too many units, then players complain that they don't get enough turns to use each unit. But I do think there should be a good middle ground. For me, it's still really weird that the melee unit goes from a swordsman to a musketman. That's a pretty big jump from the classical era to the Renaissance era. There should be a longsworsdman unit to cover the middle ages.

Top Bottom