• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

What you HATE in DOC?

The one thing I hate is probably the hard cap on civs. We can't change it unfortunately, but I just wanted to get that off of my chest. RIP Central Asian Civ Probably Never-???

There is one alternative, which is to have the ability to turn certain civs on and off (at least I think that's a possibility? I don't code lol) So you could say have Tibet off for one game and have Central Asia on or whatever. Would that work or no? It's pretty low priority anyway

There is no hard cap, only a soft cap with limited elasticity.

It is because some players exploited it into supercities like that infamous in South Africa

Oh I did some nasty things with that South African city with my wandering Egyptians :blush:

Shame the bonus from settling on ressources is gone, but I understand the problems it caused so while I'm not too happy with the change I won't complain.

I remember someone suggesting to give every city a base 2/1/1 for free and letting the city tile be improved and worked like any other. That would be the most elegant solution I think, neither discourages nor encourages settling on resources/flood plains, doesn't advange you for settling on a bad tile like desert. But whether the game even permits such a change is something I don't know.

I remember someone suggesting to give every city a base 2/1/1 for free and letting the city tile be improved and worked like any other. That would be the most elegant solution I think, neither discourages nor encourages settling on resources/flood plains, doesn't advange you for settling on a bad tile like desert. But whether the game even permits such a change is something I don't know.

Hm, maybe we could make it so the city tile gets 2F1H1C in addition to what the tile itself provides? So for some examples a city founded on desert would get 2F1H1C, one founded on Plains 3F2H1C, and one on a riverside Grassland 4F1H2C.

That's what I do, by removing the city tile's yield and spawning a free building in every city. But I'd suggest removing the one commerce in that case.

The game crashes a bit too often, too often to even finish a short game as Iran.

The game crashes a bit too often, too often to even finish a short game as Iran.

What kind of crash? Because if it's MAF I'm afraid the fault lies with your inadequate computer. I should know what I'm talking about, DoC is so much more fun since I got myself a new GPU.

I don't think it's MAF. I experienced crash to desktop and endless wait turn today.

What I genuinely hate:

Time and time again civs coming to offer a map for map trade. I always decline and the requests just keep coming dozens of times in a single game, the trading screen opening eating up time for something that is completely pointless from the start.

I really wish there was a way to prevent the AI from approaching me with these offers, it's annoying and adds nothing to the game.

What I genuinely hate:

Time and time again civs coming to offer a map for map trade. I always decline and the requests just keep coming dozens of times in a single game, the trading screen opening eating up time for something that is completely pointless from the start.

I really wish there was a way to prevent the AI from approaching me with these offers, it's annoying and adds nothing to the game.

The map for map trades are not only usually unfair, but they are more common after you've traded for their map, and thus no longer have an interest in their map anyways.

It feels like you having traded, sometimes hundreds of gold, to get a copy of their map, suddenly makes trading maps just fine. But now the trade is always your map for their map, even though you just traded for their map and no longer need it. The AI feels programmed to try and make unfair map trade deals when it sees it can make it, which results in this annoyance.

The late game is full of the AI trying to trade maps this way. It makes me seriously wish this mod had a 'leave me alone' option like some other mods have, yet at the same time it's only the map trade thing that stands out here. Most other trades I am fine with, and can even be fair.

Diplomacy has always suffered a bit in civ4 anyways; this is where I believe civ5 made a massive and beneficial improvement. In some civ4 mods, its endemic. I can't finish a dunewars game, since the AI in that is exceedingly aggressive, and will constantly demand technologies and resources (Multiple times per turn once you discover 9+ civilizations), even if they're in no position to make a threat. I assumed it was done this way to create extra conflict, but all it does in the end is makes it nearly impossible to form any friendships at all, unless you bend over and let one of the civilizations regularly have its way with you. Going full conquest and destroying as many rival civs as possible early on, seems like the only way to have an enjoyable game in that mod, and I hate being keyholed into a certain playstyle like that.

Anyways rant over. Thankfully this mod still has come a long ways with diplomacy compared to the base game and other mods.

I hate playing as Egypt. Seriously, it isn't fun, what with Greek Conquerors, Roman Conquerors, barbarians, making sure I have ever had a moment of peace, and then it's really cramped for Egypt, between the Babylonians, Carthage and Ethiopia, there isn't a lot of space to expand. The largest I ever got as Egypt was five cities. It's not a fun experience. Next time, I'll try something less challenging, perhaps China.

I hate playing as Egypt. Seriously, it isn't fun, what with Greek Conquerors, Roman Conquerors, barbarians, making sure I have ever had a moment of peace, and then it's really cramped for Egypt, between the Babylonians, Carthage and Ethiopia, there isn't a lot of space to expand. The largest I ever got as Egypt was five cities. It's not a fun experience. Next time, I'll try something less challenging, perhaps China.

Don't forget the Babylonians getting either the Sphynx or the Pyramids, whichever you didn't build first, every single time. :mad:

Top Bottom