What's with the whack-a-mole barb system?

Horizons

Needing fed again!
Periodically, pairs of barbarian units (sometimes even more) appear in allied city states and immediately pillage your trade routes and spill out into your territory and pillage your improvements. Is this a mechanism designed to keep the player 'on their toes' or 'in check'? It is enormously aggravating.

It's generally believed that they are having amenity issues, generating the barbs/rebels. IOW, the CS grew too much pop.

Which makes no sense to me - the mechanism for getting enough amenities for a city is primarily luxuries. CS can't trade for luxuries or expand to get more luxuries than they start with, so they are pretty much doomed to fail. A CS that has 2 luxes nearby and goes above 8 pop before Zoos is pretty much SOL.

I love it when you are pissed off at warmongering you revolt by destroying your own city infra and, umm, going to a war against your own city.

Last edited:
yeah rebels are the cause. Unfortunately you have to accept the fact you will lose trade routes will sometimes be sacked.

Firaxis will most likely fix the city state amenity issue (I hope) in a future patch.

Which makes no sense to me - the mechanism for getting enough amenities for a city is primarily luxuries. CS can't trade for luxuries or expand to get more luxuries than they start with, so they are pretty much doomed to fail. A CS that has 2 luxes nearby and goes above 8 pop before Zoos is pretty much SOL.
It's probably just an oversight.

In my opinion, minor civs should not Spawn rebels ever, they're simply not designed to have a cohesive amenity economy.

Its an oversight alright. CS are there for luxuries and trade, pretty much, so should be wondrous places to live with no amenity issues ever - Singapore on steroids!!

So Barbs spawning out of them, and I've had that and yes it is enormously chuddie-twisting, makes no sense.

Top Bottom