[NFP] What's your favorite expansion?

What is your favorite Civ VI expansion? Why?

• Miscellaneous DLC packs (Australia, Poland, Macedon & Persia, Indonesia & Khmer)

• Rise and Fall

• Gathering Storm

• New Frontier Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.
I personally didn't find it abysmal, but I know many didn't like it at launch, so mine might the minority view. I think part of the problem was that it was being compared to a fully expanded Civ 4. As the expansions did come, however, Civ V became very feature rich, and most importantly, the systems were generally well interconnected and refined.
I agree, but the Civ5 expansions practically rebuilt the game, which wasn't necessary for Civ6. On the other hand, as you say, doing so allowed the Civ5 mechanics to be much better integrated than Civ6's mechanics.

My first civ game was 5 and I got it when BNW came out, so I've only played Civ 5 vanilla for a few achievements which don't work with expansions... but it's truly a sad experience lol. I do think Civ 5 + expansions compares favorable to Civ 6 + expansions in certain areas... but if you compare both games vanilla, civ 6 blows 5 out of the water

Oh, no... The miscellaneous DLC's are receiving non-pity votes. I'M MELTIIIIIINNNNNGGGG... Anyway, that makes sense, @Baigan.

I voted for Gathering Storm as that includes all the mechanics except the Civs from Rise and Fall. But there's nothing rubbish about Rise and Fall as all it's mechanics improve the base game of Civ 6.

For me the various dlc in my opinion ditch could the scenario packs as I never play them in any Civ game.

The New Frontier Pass suffers from being under cooked in places. Not having an economic victory with the corporation mode is a missed goal for instance

If you combined the various dlc packs with the New Frontier Pass removing the chaff and keeping the better elements from both collections you could have a so so expansion you could pick up in a sale.

Gathering Storm. First and foremost because of the infrastructure changes. Power plants, canals, tunnels, railroads, etc are outstanding additions. Then because the included civs had the most unique playstyles, then because of the way disasters make the map dynamic.

RF was perfectly serviceable, and the loyalty and era mechanics were welcome additions to what had been a pretty static game before.

The others are all fine, and I will always welcome seeing more diversity in my opponents. I have found the game modes to be interesting in concept, but not always well executed.

I love GS. Just the Climate system and canals would have been enough to please me :)

The map is "dynamic" and ever changing. What may seem like a great location at the start may later become vulnerable to sea level rises. Places that seem poor starts (like tundra) can with climate become very bountiful.

R&F was very half baked, I'm sorry to say.

Even now I feel I don't much like the current Governors implementation. Especially as there are historical governors. Lord Mountbatten for England. Arnie "The Governator" Schwarzenegger for example. Secret Societies makes governors come into play earlier which is really necessary for some civs like Korea and The Mapuche, but still I don't really like the mickey mouse/cartoony governors.

I was eventually sold on loyalty and city flipping (free cities). The Dramatic Ages mode really "fixed" the loyalty system for me. Finally there is some rise and fall.

So NFP is my next favourite expansion. Excellent civs.

I had to go with Rise and Fall, the loyalty system was the best mechanic an expansion has added to the game, and that expansion introduced it.

hesitation between RnF that has the most necessary component such as loyalty and GS who had the most +fun component. I went with fun but I could see myself changing my vote after some thoughts.

Top Bottom