When is first patch for Civ VI coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mods, W10 Aniversary, new i5, 16GB, GTX 1060, and I had to abandon two 250+ turn games because of crashing to desktop.

This is ridiculously long wait for a patch.
Bet it's avoidable, and bet you didn't need to abandon those games. This CTD bug is incredibly annoying, but isn't game breaking, as it's completely avoidable.

Bet it's avoidable, and bet you didn't need to abandon those games. This CTD bug is incredibly annoying, but isn't game breaking, as it's completely avoidable.
I really tried. The first one started crashing when i set trade routes, but I somehow managed to circumvent it by making different choices during turn, sadly few turns later it just flat crashed to desktop, and loading that autosave would lead to immediate crash. I tried reloading older autosaves, but no luck with that.

And I really don't have any reasonable explanation for the second one, it's just straight CTD, and no matter what I tried it still led to crash. At that point I was just really tired of reloading and just scrapped it and started new game.

Though in a game that I have finished, I had bazzilion trade routes and setting them while changing policies didn't crash the game a single time. Strange.

I had a game that would CTD one what was only my 2nd trade route. Go figure. I didn't like where I was anyway so I wasn't too upset. Stupid AI didn't attack me early so I thought I would just expand peacefully and go from there. Not optimal. AI founded cities are much cheaper to conquer than to build your own.

If you look at the last 10 it is 50%. I know you can't use a small sample like this, but generally the reviews are getting more negative. Games always start with gushing reviews on Steam, but as they are played more & more faults come to light, & the reviews as a rule start coming down.
It's already at 7.3 on metacritic and keeps falling down. Pretty sure it will be below 7.0 within one month if there is no patch before that time.

A 7.0 rating is just an ok game, nothing more.

It's already at 7.3 on metacritic and keeps falling down. Pretty sure it will be below 7.0 within one month if there is no patch before that time.

A 7.0 rating is just an ok game, nothing more.

Minecraft has a user score of 7,4, Dark Souls 2 has 7,1, GTA 4 has 6,6 and Mass Effect 3 still got 5,5. Even Civ 5 still has only 7,9 after expansions and patches. So wouldn't really read too much into that score.

Generally a dedicated fan base with strong opinions on how the game should be equals a lot of 10s and a lot of 0-1s. The Football Manager series allways get 85-90 on the critic score, but FM 2014 has a user score of 5,5. It's still the best football manager game out there from that season. Same goes for football sims, FIFA 17 has 84 critic score and 4,2 user score.

Minecraft has a user score of 7,4, Dark Souls 2 has 7,1, GTA 4 has 6,6 and Mass Effect 3 still got 5,5. Even Civ 5 still has only 7,9 after expansions and patches. So wouldn't really read too much into that score.

You can't say some ratings are unjustified just because they are different from YOUR opinion.

You can't say some ratings are unjustified just because they are different from YOUR opinion.

I'm not saying they are "unjustified", I'm saying they probably don't reflect the opinion of the average player. Because the average player don't post reviews at Metacritic at all and because there is a trend that sequels that do not live up to what certain parts of the established fanbase expects, get bashed on Metacritic.

This was true for FIFA, FM, Mass Effect, Dishonored, Fallout, Dark Souls, Battlefield, GTA, WoW and also Civ.

Nor are they justified because they align with yours. It slices both ways.

What can be said is that user ratings are often driven by passion rather than reason, so much so that many games get pounded or extolled in ratings before they even go gold.

I just saw a response from 2K Joe on the 2K Forums: "The team is working on updates based on feedback from the community. We are definitely listening and are aware of some issues you guys are having. We'll share news on an update when we have it, but rest assured that it won't be much longer. Appreciate your patience."

Minecraft is a genre in itself and started as a one-man project - 7.4 is pretty damn good. The first "Minecraft" and thus no reference.

GTA4 was good and I got no idea why it has that score - maybe parents don't like drunk driving, sex etc in a game... there was a lot of criticism from politicians and censorship in some countries. GTA1 and 2 were 2D top-down and every GTA got bigger, better and immersive - until they dropped the ball with gta5 online. Anyway... I think censorship can get you a negative review from some people.

I got no interest in the other games, but they are ALL kinda in a genre for themselves and can't be compared at all - I'm not comparing bananas and pineapples either... I do expect a non-rotten fruit though. You gotta look a bit deeper if some game got a really terrible review score. Remember Skyrim? Skyrim had stellar reviews like civ5 on Steam, and then they aired some ideas about paid mods and then reviews plummeted. That doesn't really have anything to do with the game... just people voicing their opinion.

The only way Civilization really stands out, is that each iteration of the games doesn't bring that much new to the game. It is fairly simple no matter how much bling Firaxis brings to the mapview. If you look past all the bling and "new" stuff, then you are left with a lot of poorly implemented features. It's pretty though....

1. Spies - boring, useless and a micromanagement hell.
2. Trade routes - somewhat interesting with the roads, but also a micromanagement hell. Just get me a "repeat this action" button...
3. Religion - what's the point really? Is it in the game because it is fun or because Firaxis had to check that feature off? I don't see the fun...
4. AI - I dont mind a stupid AI because we have never had a good AI in a strategy game... still this AI went full ******...
5. UI - fighting the userinterface is the real battle...
6. Exploits - buy armies and sell them for more... infinite gold... really good in multiplayer :)

I get that some people play on small maps and that spies and traderoutes arent a problem there, but they are a BIG problem on giant maps with lots of cities.

My review on Steam is negative and it stays that way - same thing people did with Skyrim. I cannot undo my purchase because I'm not satisfied with the game, but I can "vote" my opinion about Firaxis and 2K... even if the game ends up being good in a year or two... It's a big fat negative from me.

Last edited:
Trade routes should:

1. Keep going indefinitely, until manually stopped or until broken by an opponent in some way (ie. city taken over).
2. Automatically update changes to the route (additional districts constructed, civics, etc.). I don't know if it does this already, but it seemed that it does not.
3. On the topic of manually stopping a route, a player should be able to disconnect a route and reassign whenever desired. Or at the very least, any time after a turn or two of use.

GTA4 was good and I got no idea why it has that score - maybe parents don't like drunk driving, sex etc in a game... there was a lot of criticism from politicians and censorship in some countries. GTA1 and 2 were 2D top-down and every GTA got bigger, better and immersive - until they dropped the ball with gta5 online. Anyway... I think censorship can get you a negative review from some people.
Many people, like myself, was disappointed with its sandbox experience. Which is to say, it was not a sandbox, but rather a goldfish bowl. You could drive or walk around and be impressed with what you were spectating, but there was little to actually do outside of the story. Plus, the mission designs were very basic and the actual gameplay--driving and shooting--lacked smoothness.

All of which is to say that when it comes to user reviews, mileage varies greatly. There are some good reasons why reviewing is done professionally.

I really tried. The first one started crashing when i set trade routes, but I somehow managed to circumvent it by making different choices during turn, sadly few turns later it just flat crashed to desktop, and loading that autosave would lead to immediate crash. I tried reloading older autosaves, but no luck with that.

And I really don't have any reasonable explanation for the second one, it's just straight CTD, and no matter what I tried it still led to crash. At that point I was just really tired of reloading and just scrapped it and started new game.

Though in a game that I have finished, I had bazzilion trade routes and setting them while changing policies didn't crash the game a single time. Strange.

The game CTDs whenever you make policy changes before assigning your (unassigned) trade routes. To circumvent this, changing policies should always be the last thing you do on a turn.

Civilization V just has so much more depth. Even if you fall into a routine, and make the same decisions it felt much more worthwhile. Civilization VI is a great game, but it feels far to linear. I dropped $12 on CIV V + all dlcs , and it was arguably the best $12 I have ever spent. I am still questioning the $80 I dropped on CIV VI.

"The game CTDs whenever you make policy changes before assigning your (unassigned) trade routes. To circumvent this, changing policies should always be the last thing you do on a turn."

Thanks RealHuhn. I've run into this issue but never figured out the cause of why sometimes it crashed and sometimes it didn't.

Nor are they justified because they align with yours. It slices both ways.

What can be said is that user ratings are often driven by passion rather than reason, so much so that many games get pounded or extolled in ratings before they even go gold.
Nowhere have I said they align with my opinion.

It is just the average people's opinion and a rating based on 600+ review is relevant, even if you don't like it.

beated the game in 50 turns on deity. Enough said.
Playing bf1 till a new big civ 6 patch hits.

beated the game in 50 turns on deity. Enough said.
Playing bf1 till a new big civ 6 patch hits.
Bigger map, more opponents, longer time for AI to setup? Enough said... ;)
But BF1 seems to be good though. So maybe it's winwin...

Civilization V just has so much more depth. Even if you fall into a routine, and make the same decisions it felt much more worthwhile. Civilization VI is a great game, but it feels far to linear. I dropped $12 on CIV V + all dlcs , and it was arguably the best $12 I have ever spent. I am still questioning the $80 I dropped on CIV VI.
Didn't you answer your doubts yourself? Basically you (and many of the folks here) compare CiV complete to CiVI vanilla... I don't and maybe that's why I'm fine with the game in its current state. I'm waiting for a patch and the SDK stuff to come out just like most here Do. And it's needed! But the vanilla CiVI is miles ahead to vanilla CiV and even vanilla CiIV IMO.
If you are sorry for the 80,- I'm sorry for you, but you had the wrong expectations then and should have waited for a sale...
P. S. : Just to let you know: I was surprised by poor UI, some balance issues and bad AI behaviour myself (good Job, Marketing!), but it still is miles ahead to CiV and already a very good game now. I'm looking forward to a great game soon and an outstanding one within the next 1-2 years... ;)

I don't think this is really fair to say. Actually, I feel it's a "tactic" to pander to people too routinely in social media so as to placate them. I know that people will argue with this statement, because they don't understand it.

I'm sure Firaxis people are reading. I'm sure there are things they'd like to correct soon and it will be done in the timeline they can supply the fixes.

I have no clue if they read or not but reading and acting on what you read are different, anyway firaxis is one of the worst EVER companies as to how they manage their product, they still make stupid betas in 2016, all is secret, no plans, no communication, all this is so obsolete it laughable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom