When was the first time you've had Alcohol?

When was the first time you've had alcohol?

• Never had even a sip!

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • 5 or under

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • 11-15

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • 16-18

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • 19-24

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • 25-30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30-40

• 40+ (Wow you suck!)

• insert funny option here.

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
I sipped at age 7 my first gulp of beer which my grandad passed to me. First time wasted at age 13. Also I have the impression that the tolerance towards alcohol is higher in Europe than in America, is that right?

You make up fun words, and the next morning sucks. :lol:

Most people end up lightening up a little and having a little fun. For some people alcohol is extremely bad.

It is best to let your parent or guardian introduce to the different stages. Doing it yourself is a bad idea.

Also, you feel like the room is spinning around and you're going to fall out (ie. fall down, feel like your legs are going to give out on you).

When I was 12 I tried for the first time a mouthful of sparkling wine at New Year.

I have never drank with Europeans, but I would be very surprised if Americans didnt have a lower tolerance.

I thought he was talking about social tolerance of alcohol (like not having to go in a shady place out of town to get your alcohol bottle that you must then hide in a paper bag), not body tolerance.

To all the people who say they've never had a sip of alcohol.

I can't really think of a reason why I would want to drink.

Because you can't legally?

I don't really think this has much of an effect. This law isn't that well enforced, so I could very easily get alcohol if I wished.

If its not that then are you not curious?

Mostly. It just never seemed that appealing to me.

I've pretty much always thought that if a girl I really liked wanted me to drink with her it would be hard to refuse, but that hasn't happened yet and there is no sign it will happen soon.

Or is it because you've had bad experiences with drunk people?

Bad experiences with drunks have strengthened my resolve. Every roommate I've had in college drank rather heavily, and most were not pleasant to be around while drunk.

My Freshman year roommate was an Irish Catholic from Boston who seemed devoted to fulfilling every negative stereotype about those who fit that description. He didn't drink as often as my later roommates (about every other weekend), but he probably drank the most at a time. If he spaced it out I often wouldn't notice he was drunk until after he had at least 16 beers, but on those nights he would usually go on to at least 22 and get pretty bad eventually. When he drank faster then a mere 14 beers might have a bigger effect. He was often a mean drunk, as where a few of the guys who often drank who would often drink with him until passing out a couple hours before sunrise. They would totally trash the place, but he was a neat freak so he would then force me to help him clean up. He often did this while he was wearing only his underwear (and a couple times less) even in the winter. A few times he poured a whole can of beer over my stuff. He and his friends really tried to pressure me into drinking, especially the first semester. I've never been the type to give in to peer pressure, so even if they hadn't been suck jerks about it it would have had the opposite effect on me anyway.

My last year's roommates weren't so bad. One was a 22 year old Grad Student from France, and the other a half Sicilian/half Armenian undergrad from Connecticut. Both drank more often than my Freshman year roommate (perhaps because one of them could buy it legally), but they never really went overboard so much and never tried to pressure me into joining them. I didn't really mind them being mildly drunk, and often played chess of cards when them while they were, and once went out to dinner with them while they were drinking. They usually went downstairs to another room for real parties, and the few times they did go too far in my room I could lock myself in my room (this was an apartment instead of the single room I had freshman year). When they were too drunk the one from Connecticut got really angry and short tempered though, and the French guy acted very immature. They were often like that anyway, but it was worse while drunk.

In the summer one of my roommates drank heavily, loudly, and late into the night several times a week, often with his friends who lived elsewhere. No one really socialized that semester, so the roommates didn't drink together. I'm pretty sure I saw one of the other roommates drink occasionally, but he was usually alone (or with one of his girlfriends) in his room when he was home, and often out. Now that I think of it, I never saw the other roommate drink, but he away doing research a majority of the time so I rarely saw him do anything.

This year my roommates are usually up very late drinking and playing heavy metal music at least one night a week, often more. A couple times this has been right before an early morning test, which I ended up failing. Sometimes they will turn the music down if I ask, but they never really turn it off and hey ignore my request entirely if they think there might be girls coming. Even when sober they are often rather loud and I've overheard things I don't like such as bragging about "beating up fags" etc. I tend to stay in my room this year. One of my roommates last semester only drank moderately, was never loud (although quite odd), and often told them to turn the music down. He moved out though, and was replaced by a friend of the other two (who I'm pretty sure passed out drunk in my freshman room once too). This guy still isn't as bad as they are though. The common area of our apartment is often trashed by drunks and is filled with old beer cans, including an 11 layer "beeramid" that was not too long ago decorated as a Christmas tree. I'm not a fan of the odor.

I'm not criticising you, just wondering why. If its the health aspect then do you cut out other unhealthy habits?

Health aspects aren't the main reason why I don't drink, but one of many contributing factors. I don't do any other unhealthy habits like smoking (anything; even if I didn't have asthma I would find nothing at all appealing about smoking tobacco or any other drug) and I tend to have a fairly healthy diet (more so when I do my own shopping than when I am back home), but I do use a lot of salt, never really exercise (apart from walking to class more than talking the bus), and my sleeping schedule is often off.

I am well aware that a little alcohol (less than the amount found in one drink of just about anything, probably not enough to get a small child drunk) can be quite good for one's health (and would probably be more good than bad for children even, in very small amounts), and am not opposed to trying small amounts of wine or champagne on special occasions in the future, but I have no intention of ever drinking enough to really be intoxicated.

Why is this poll not public? I want to know the 9 people who never even had a sip.

I've been looking back, and i do not recall the last time i've been drunk, I know i've been so before, but i think i don't get drunk easily. I think in the last 3 years i've been drunk around 3 or 4 times in total.

I have never drank with Europeans, but I would be very surprised if Americans didnt have a lower tolerance.

Of the American exchange students I've met, they tend to drink less. But overall I don't think theres much difference.

@Magister

Wow detailed response, thanks. Would you consider yourself as a person who is generally open to new experiences? If as you say its not the health thing or the legality, then why not try it? Or is it that your circle of friends tend not to drink?

I know three or four people who refused to drink in secondary school and since have started; yet aren't raving lunatics when drunk nor has it changed their lifestyle.

Shekwan, just out of curiosity...you think people should drink?

Shekwan, just out of curiosity...you think people should drink?

No I don't think people should drink!

I don't get why you wouldn't want to try a drink though if you're not worried about the health risk and you're an adult. As a young person, I like to try as much experiences as I can to at least see if I like it or not then make up my own mind. It's not just about drinking or other drugs. I'll give any food a go too. Same goes for sports/games etc. I like to give stuff a chance before say I'll never give them a try.

It's kinda depressing that only 16 (9 never and 7 19-24) people waited/will wait until it's legal for them to drink :(
Why is this pool not public? I want to know the 9 people who never even had a sip.
As I said, I'm one of them

Having a beer right now :p

Seriously though, first drink I remember would be when I was 5. A few sips of wine with fancy meals mostly. Oddly enough Ive never really cared for beer until I got older.

On a sidenote I've never been drunk before, yay for moderation i guess :goodjob:

Never have, never will.

It's kinda depressing that only 16 (9 never and 7 19-24) people waited/will wait until it's legal for them to drink :(

As I said, I'm one of them

Not everyone lives in the US with their crazy drinking age. I personally waited until I could legally purchase alcahol before I started drinking.

Top Bottom