1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which book are you reading now? Volume XI

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by NedimNapoleon, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Please tell me you're wearing your cowboy boots when you make such posts.
    Done with ye, Clarkson!

2. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Finished A Deepness in the Sky a couple days ago and I'm of mixed feelings. It's way more of a slog and really doesn't have any of the lightheartedness that Fire had. I also found the aliens a lot less interesting; the Tines could have carried a novel by themselves, but here it's just about watching a newly-industrialized civilization advance and not much else. Still, the human storyline (especially the flashbacks) is better and there is a good payoff when the two finally intersect. I'd say it's definitely worth reading.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

4. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

I've been inspired lately.

Word Painting by Rebecca McClanahan is about "the art of writing descriptively".

Building Great Sentences by Brooks Landon tells about how to write longer (and better, as the author argues) sentences.

5. SkeleTony

SkeleTony Chieftain

I am currently reading The Making of Bigfoot by Greg Long. It is a 400+ page book all about Roger Patterson and his associates famous for the 1967 film allegedly showing a female sasquatch walking alongside a Bluff Creek, CA river/stream.
    It is a fascinating investigation into a man who had remained almost completely un-investigated for the last 40 years -save for this book. Amazingly many of the people involved with this story were still alive when this book was written (back in 1998-200). Even the man who wore the suit! Highly recommended -especially for those of us who ever had interest or belief in the cryptozoological claim.

6. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Bah!
    Read two classics: Uncle Tom's Cabin and The Old Man and the Sea. Despite the elegance of the former, I opt for the great simplicity of the latter.

7. JollyRoger

8. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Taiwan: A New History, the expanded edition edited by Murray Rubinstein. Focuses on Taiwan's complicated relationships with China, the rest of the world, and its local aboriginal tribes.

9. JollyRoger

10. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Fascinating!

11. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I bought a second-hand copy off Amazon for about £4, and didn't realise until it arrived that it had been shipped from the US. There's a certain degree of internal embarrassment in acquiring the biography of a stoic peasant revolutionary through an almost stereotypical display of first-world decadent entitlement.

Anyway, it's very interesting. I've previously read McLynn's Villa and Zapata, which is a pretty broad sweep of the whole Revolution, but this really narrows down on the social, economic and political circumstances of Zapata's home state of Morelos, Womack's thesis being that the Mexican Revolution really needs to be understood as a series of local uprisings that became a national revolution almost by accident.

12. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Isn't that how most national revolutions tend to happen?

13. Traitorfish

Probably!

14. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

How is that entitlement? I would think goods would still be exchanged between continents even in an anarchist utopia.

To keep this post somewhat on-topic, I'm currently reading the Paleo Manifesto but don't know enough to actually comment on it. I did learn some cool stuff on Jewish purity laws and handwashing.

15. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

You have to start out from the knowledge that the Mexican revolution only got any support from the elites when Spain entered the so-called ‘Constitutional Triennium’ in 1820 and the liberals tried to enforce the 1812 Constitution -before that, it was usually parish priests and local townsmen leading peasant masses. Thus, the Mexican revolution was actually supported to preserve the ancient regime, rather than to do away with slavery and liberalise trade as had happened in the other vice-royalties to the south.

That's why Mexico's evolution has been so different from those in the rest of the continent -well, that and the fact that they actually share a border with the U.S. of A.

16. JohannaK

I dont think that you are talking about the same Revolution...

17. Traitorfish

I guess, but having an old book shipped across and ocean for the price of a cheap lunch just seems so... I was going to say "millennial", but the fact I'm buying an actual paper book is pretty un-millenial, so maybe it all averages out and I'm good.

Different revolution, the one that went 1910-ish to 1920-ish.

18. JohannaK

Paper books are hipster, as long as they are read ironically. So you can still be fully millenial.

19. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Yes but no. You can't (completely) understand the revolution that involved Pancho Villa et al. if you don't know where it came from.

20. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Think about it in terms of the borders between nations breaking down....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.