1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which book are you reading now? Volume XI

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by NedimNapoleon, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

2. JollyRoger

Gen.Mannerheim likes this.
  3. Gen.Mannerheim

Gen.Mannerheim Grand Moff

The Once and Future King is one of my top 10 all time books. T.H. White, along with Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain series, are what got me to go deeper into the Fantasy genre and past the monolith that is Tolkien.

4. JollyRoger

It is the start of a brief Fantasy/Sci Fi binge for me. Penguin issued a 6-book series called it's Galaxy Series. This is the first of the 6.

5. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Sometimes I'll keep a narrative book and a drier scholar-type book on the go at once, although I think I may have ended up over my head with Serge. It's a bit denser than, like, spaceship-fights.

6. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

The Republic, written by Plato, translated by Tom Griffith, and edited by G. Ferrari. Strives for clarity, to the point of Woolseyism. The translator does insert some notes about what the original text said, though I still prefer the more detailed approach of the Nichomachean Ethics I read.

Probably the definitive work of Plato, even more so than the Symposium. Contains an introduction to the forms, a theory of justice, a vision of utopia, classifications of governments, ethical frameworks, and a study of the soul. While some ideas are a bit on the iffy side (e.g. prescribing proper forms of music to cultivate ideal guardians), many other ideas will continue to resonate through the ages, as demonstrated by the Western philosophical canon. One particular example was the description of an oligarchy, providing a striking resemblance to the contemporary United States of America.

The only other weakness of the work I can clearly see is the Socratic "dialogue" of the work. Around book 4 of 10, the conversation becomes rather one-sided. It's just Socrates pontificating while his counterpart either agrees (most of the time) or disagrees with the current speech. I suppose that's another pioneering achievement of The Republic: one of the first Mary Sues in literature.

7. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Maybe the ideas resonate through the ages precisely because they are part of the canon.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

We are BOB

Interesting take on future EM, and dystonia earth
    Second book isnt that great though, becomes a little wacky with aliens should have explored the Chinese and Brazillan a lot more then pen in predictable cliche alien enemies.

9. candys

candys Chieftain

Eat, Love, Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert
    i just started to read it but I think it's awesome book!

10. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

The Left Hand of Darkness. by Ursala K leGuin.

11. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

I Contain Multitudes, Ed Yong. It's about our symbiotic relationship with microbes. I read 10% Human last year, so we'll see if they differ much..

12. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

The Pale King by the late Wallace. I'm learning a lot about taxes and feeling a lot of pity for taxmen.

13. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I just finished organizing my entire sci-fi paperback collection. Here it is

If you switch to List view you can see the books I haven't read yet. One of those books is Chariots of Fire by Michel Parry. It didn't get good reviews at all but I like reading about alternate Inca history. I'm pretty sure it's about the Inca anyway, even though the cover might be showing the Aztecs.

All I've done so far is take it off the shelf as the next book I'm reading through, so I haven't actually started reading it. But thanks to Librarything.com (thanks Valka!) it was easy to look through all my books and pick one to read. Plus it lets me see which books I have belong to different series, which makes it easy to figure out which books I should be adding to my wish list.

14. Cutlass

That's a lot of work for someone who hasn't even posted his last vacation pics yet... ;)

15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Zorba the Greek, I found it more depressing than the "celebration of life" claptrap people seem to be saying about it.

Spoiler :
    I lost all respect for the narrator and Zorba too after they forgave the man who killed the young widow, the narrator's only lover in the book. He barely considers her once she's murdered, her character is as shallow as can be. Overall the book is pretty mysgnostic, tho it's kind of dark about humanity in general. The narrator is self-absorbed and not particularly likable, he idealizes Zorba who doesn't seem as heroic and amazing as all that (fathering a child he'll never have a chance to look after, not giving a damn that his work on the pulley-system was a failure).

It was well written enough to get thru in 3-4 days (mostly at work) but overall I didn't like it and would not consider it a classic.

16. Cutlass

I've read a fair amount that I never got around to posting. I don't even remember all the titles.

A trilogy of scifi novels by Greg Bear: War Dogs, Killing Titan, and Take Back the Sky. Not long novels, but dark. Worth a read.

Maine to Greenland: Exploring the Maritime Far Northeast. Fitzhugh and Richard. This is a non fiction that I've been working on a bit at a time for a while. It's about the Atlantic coastal region of North America, the people and history of the region. Much of that is in Canada, and it talks a lot about that region, and Canadian parks that are so remote almost no one goes there.

If my memory was functional these days I'd think to remember and mention more of what I've read recently. :sad:

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

It had to be done! My office is still a bit of a mess, I needed to start the clean-up/re-organization operation somewhere. The books were a good place to start, and hopefully the exercise will lead to me reading more again.

As for my last two trips.. You are right, I should get on that

18. Cutlass

I'm one to talk, really. I have trips from Nova Scotia last year that I haven't sorted or posted myself.

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I will be watching for that one with some interest.. I still haven't seen a lot of Canada and I haven't been out east at all. I enjoyed your last trip report, maybe your next one will convince me to get out east sooner rather than later

20. Cutlass

I think I'm actually closer to the Maritime provinces than you are. And I have a car, which I seen to recall you don't. Rural Canada is as I'm sure you know exceptionally not populated. Making motor vehicle touring about the only choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.