Which Book Are You Reading Now? Volume XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says the forum's biggest Kafka fanboy. :p

please include a trigger warning if you are going to make offensive posts like these :lol:

I really don't need more german stuff in my life ;)

Freud was not German tho..

Says the forum's biggest Kafka fanboy. :p

Kafka, if born today, would be Czech. Back then he was Bohemian, which was part of the kingdom of Austria-Hungary.

although later on a lot of people from Bohemia or Moravia self-identified as culturally/ethnically German (including my grandfather)

Is this arrogance or merely pretentiousness?

Is this arrogance or merely pretentiousness?

Some people happen to be good at the main subject they focus on in this life. Sorry if you find this to be "arrogant", lol. Let alone that if we are being real there is no way you know even 1/10th of what i do know about Kafka's work. I have even presented multi-hour (paid) courses on this, a number of times.

@Arakhor : see where your shortsighted joke led us? :p

Yeah, I know nothing about Kafka, and frankly I dont terribly care much. But it is a name recognised worldwide and inscribed in the history of literature, so come back when yours is.

Yeah, I know nothing about Kafka, and frankly I dont terribly care much. But it is a name recognised worldwide and inscribed in the history of literature, so come back when yours is.

Ehm, indeed you know nothing about Kafka, else you would have known he died virtually without anyone knowing his name . . .

Its ok, though, Johanna. On the brightside you can start constructing your house, using free wood from the fierce facepalm-tree you made materialize.

HP Lovecraft also became much more popular after his death, but given that you haven't been dead for 80+ years yet, it's hardly a fair comparison.

this is highly ironic, because Kafka might've actually died a completely obscure nobody if it wasn't for Max Brod :lol:

popularity or influence are entirely separate from quality. the greatest American writer of the 20th century lives in complete obscurity, has never given a proper interview and is a de-facto ghost.

or maybe the greatest American writer of the 20th century has been entirely glossed over, we may never know

Excuse me, but i am Franz's equal, and in no way his fanboy :smug:

if you two were around at the same time you would've made a nice couple I'm sure ;)

I know perfectly well about Kafka's death and how he willed all his writing to be burned. I should think Kafka didnt prickishly brag about being Poe's equal or some such nonsense. It is all fine to think that one is good, but whether you are as good as anyone else is not for you to decide.

I know perfectly well about Kafka's death and how he willed all his writing to be burned. I should think Kafka didnt prickishly brag about being Poe's equal or some such nonsense. It is all fine to think that one is good, but whether you are as good as anyone else is not for you to decide.

Ok, maybe stop having a fit of righteousness now; it's not like you will dictate what i will post, let alone what i will think of works you know nothing about :thumbsup: (and those include Kafka's as well as my own ;) )
Re what Kafka thought of other famous works, again you move from mistake to mistake, given you haven't even bothered to read anything on the topic. Basically you are posting stuff you make up, which is quite painful to read for me, given i am familiar with the topic. Fyi Kafka did at times make very cold-hearted smug claims about some of his works. Had he ever the ability to post on CFC, btw, i am sure he would say much more triggering stuff.. Maybe reflect on whether you are actually in a position to judge otherwise, given you know virtually nothing of his work.

Last edited:
I really don't need more german stuff in my life ;)
es braust ein Ruf wie Donnerhall
WIE SCHWERTGEKLIRR UND WOGENPRALL

BAH GAWD! That's the Kaiser's music!

^Thankfully i don't know what that is... ^_^
Doesn't seem to be very literary, though.

Anyway, here is some high german culture (poem by Goethe, music by Schubert)
Mods, i think this is (though just barely) on-topic, given the poem is by Goethe (?).

Ah, well then, if he was a prick indeed you are absolutely right.

Apologies to Kafka for assuming modesty of him.

Can we stop feeding arrogance with attention and get back to the books?

Halfway through Samuel Taylor Coleridge (of the Oxford Poetry Library, edited by HJ Jackson), subtitled A Selection of His Finest Poems. Also contains a short summary of Coleridge's life and includes his annotations and some early versions of a few poems. Like his rhythmic style, but some poems are quite dated due to heavy references to the French Revolutionary Wars (though I did enjoy the stark picture of war he paints).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom