Which films have you seen lately Vol.22 Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Broken_Erika

Play with me.
Part One: What Movie(s) Have You Recently Seen?
Part Two: What movie(s) have you recently seen 2
Part Three: Which movie(s) have you viewed lately? - Episode III
Part Four: Which movie(s) have you seen lately? - Episode IV
Part Five: Which Movies Have You Seen Lately? V for Five
Part Six: Which Movies Have You Seen Lately? VI - The Sequel Five Sequels in the Making
Part Seven: Which movies have you seen lately? Kinetic Icon VII
Part Eight: Which movie(s) have you seen recently- VIII Remake of the 80s
Part Nine: Which movies have you watched? IX
Part Ten: Which movies have you watched? Ι' --not an iota of bad movies; but maybe bad taste
Part Eleven: Which movies have you watched? xi --- straight to dvd
Part Twelve: What films have you been watching? (XII/IB) - CFC's Dirty Dozen
Part Thirteen: Which movies have you watched? 13 - In a world where...
Part Fourteen: Which movies have you watched? ΙΔ' - The House of Asterion
Part Fifteen: Which movies have you watched? IE': NO CAPES!
Part Sixteen: Which Movies Have You Watched XV This Title Is Not Included In Your Subscription
Part Seventeen: What Movies Have You Watched? 17: Blowed Up Real Good
Part Eighteen: Which Films have you seen lately? Certificate 18
Part Nineteen: Which Films have you seen lately? 19 - Get your Film's Name Outta Your Mouth
Part Twenty: Which Films have you seen lately? Number K'. Someone was spreading lies about Joseph 20
Part Twenty-one: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...seen-lately-vol-21-now-in-cinemascope.685020/

I cannot think of a single reason why this should exist.
Honestly, I wholeheartedly agree. Apparently, there is a short British film made on the exact subject. For some reason, Jackson wants to take us to some events with the same timeline as the original trilogy and make two movies from them. Snooze. I think Aragorn is the focus, so would they bring back a much older Mortersen to play him?

Too bad Jackson cannot connect future movies to Rings of Powers, but the rights are all messed up. I'd rather have movies that delved more into the Silmarillion and early ages.

Last edited:
One theater-goer to another:

Amazing advances. First they added sound. Then color. Now this one stinks.

Nobody. 7.5ish/10. This is basically John Wick except the protagonist is a douche as well. It's fun to see once.

I haven't been using Letterboxd very long, but this is what my rating curve is looking like.

The biggest bar is 3/5. Feels about right. My opinion of most movies usually ends up being "eh, it's fine."

I haven't been using Letterboxd very long, but this is what my rating curve is looking like.

The biggest bar is 3/5. Feels about right. My opinion of most movies usually ends up being "eh, it's fine."
My own bar-graph skews heavily toward 3½ and 4 stars. Very few below 2½. Probably because I mostly watch movies I expect to like, and my rating 'system' - it's not really a system - leans mostly on whether I enjoyed watching it. My judgment of a movie is probably only ¼ how 'good' the movie is, in some kind of semi-objective way. I try to judge movies by what they appear to be aiming for, and I try to give them some credit for doing something right, even if the end result overall is a dud. If I were a better movie critic, I could use Letterboxd's "like" button for that. There's only a small handful of movies that I gave 3+ stars but not a "like", and only a small handful that I gave fewer than 3 stars but a "like." (The Meg 2 was one. I gave it 1½ stars and a "like." I thought it was the funniest movie of last year, but I'm not sure it was trying to be. If I find out the filmmakers were in fact tongue-in-cheek the entire time, I'll give it another 2 stars.)

I recall quite liking Nobody too. I didn't quite know what it was about going into it, so it was a bit surprising where it went. Odenkirk was perfect for the role.

Rotten Tomatoes just released their Top 300 movies today here. I assume this is based mostly on critic reviews (edit: rating does include RT user reviews). I generally go mostly by user reviews, but this may make for some interesting discussion.

I've seen most of the Top 10 here except for Top Gun: Maverick (I've never seen any Top Gun movie and don't care to). LA Confidential is definitely one of my personal top five favorite movies, and I've probably seen it at least 10 or so times. Parasite underwhelmed me, though I thought it was decent enough.

Stowaway. 6/10 ( or 3/5 :p ). This was actually good for most of it, but the story falls apart after the middle act and goes out with a whimper. The negligence and lack of intelligence in the characters is criminal.

Honestly, I wholeheartedly agree. Apparently, there is a short British film made on the exact subject. For some reason, Jackson wants to take us to some events with the same timeline as the original trilogy and make two movies from them. Snooze. I think Aragorn is the focus, so would they bring back a much older Mortersen to play him?

Too bad Jackson cannot connect future movies to Rings of Powers, but the rights are all messed up. I'd rather have movies that delved more into the Silmarillion and early ages.

Are we sure that it's Peter Jackson pushing this project? I would be compelled to think that it's the studio executives and Jackson is just along for the ride as a producer/consultant...

Nobody really wants this film though. But ever since Simon Tolkien took over the Tolkien estate affairs after his father, they've been more open to other creators doing their own thing with the select IP rights they have to work with. Christopher Tolkien was much more loyal to his father's written work and did not want other creators to deviate too much from it.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Viggo Mortensen will decline should he be offered to return as Aragorn/Strider. He declined a cameo in the third Hobbit film, as it according to him made no sense for his character to be in it.

Silmarillion... oh dear. I don't know how you would go about adopting it. It's not a singular narrative like The Hobbit and LOTR. You would have to focus on an Age and then focus even tighter within that age. So, write a whole script based on perhaps 20-30 pages in the book... I'd be effed...

Are we sure that it's Peter Jackson pushing this project? I would be compelled to think that it's the studio executives and Jackson is just along for the ride as a producer/consultant...

After the fourth Matrix film, I really wouldn't be surprised if Jackson is only there because the execs said that they were going to make it whether he was there or not.

I watched some strange Romanian movie about a lady taxi driver that was so weird I fell asleep, and when I woke up I found that the northern lights were visible in Alabama last night and I missed them. Ruined my morning. Do Not Expect Too Much from the End of the World or some such.

After the Dark. This is a movie about a bunch of tourist Westerners in a philosophy class in Indonesia talking about how to survive a nuclear war inside a bunker. The moral dilemmas! The philosophizing! My, oh my! 1/10.

What a beautiful scene there at the end with Tom Hardy out of fuel over the sand banks of Dunkirk. Amazing footage.

Rotten Tomatoes just released their Top 300 movies today here. I assume this is based mostly on critic reviews (edit: rating does include RT user reviews). I generally go mostly by user reviews, but this may make for some interesting discussion.

I've seen most of the Top 10 here except for Top Gun: Maverick (I've never seen any Top Gun movie and don't care to). LA Confidential is definitely one of my personal top five favorite movies, and I've probably seen it at least 10 or so times. Parasite underwhelmed me, though I thought it was decent enough.
Everything on that site feels so random..they have "top critics" who gave The Shawshank Redemption a splat tomato.
I see 5 on the first page alone..and so it's not in their top 300 (!) list.

I liked Parasite, but would be embarrassed to release an all time best list with it at #5.
While Fellowship of the Ring rests at #201.

250k users gave TSR ~98%.
5k users gave Parasite ~90%.
If anything RT shows why you should rather trust real watchers over critics.

If anything RT shows why you should rather trust real watchers over critics.
I used to read critic reviews almost religiously, but for a long time, I have exclusively relied on user reviews. One always has to read between the lines with individual reviewers, but generally, as an aggregate, they are fairly reliable. Of course, one has to watch out for movies that, for whatever reason, get those nuts who bomb it with 0-star reviews likely due to some "controversial" element - at least to them.

TSR was universally praised, but there is always some idiot who is gonna go "splat" :lol:. I remember this fairly renown reviewer - USA Today I think - who gave "O Brother Where Art Though" an "F". (Granted that may not be your kinda of movie Ms. NRW :lol:, but it is considered a classic.)

Top Bottom