1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Which civ will you play first in GS?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Disgustipated, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Which Civ will you play first when GS comes out?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2019.
  1. Hungary

21 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Maori

65 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Canada

38 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Inca

64 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. Mali

37 vote(s)
    9.7%
  6. Sweden

16 vote(s)
    4.2%
  7. Eleanor (possible 2 civ choice?)

24 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Phoenicia

32 vote(s)
    8.4%
  9. Ottomans

18 vote(s)
    4.7%
  10. Other civ (vanilla, dlc, or rise and fall civ- please specify)

30 vote(s)
    7.9%
  11. I will not be purchasing GS on release

8 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. Random option

27 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Canadian Bluebeer

Canadian Bluebeer Chieftain

Well, once I start sending the Bieber clones into your civs, I'll be drinkin the Blue Beer, and the rest will be seeing Red. :p
    (and oh yes, I expect denoucements over that!) heh-heh-heh.

Zaarin likes this.
  2. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Chieftain

I will not tolerate this bald-faced aggression sir!
    (You have been Denounced)

CPWimmer, Kjimmet, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  3. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

After most of the reveals have now been made - I'm pretty sure that I'm going with Sweden first.

Sweden gives a lot of bonuses to one of my two favorite victory types (Culture, with Science being the other one) as well as bonuses to one of the main new GS game concepts (Diplomacy). It also strongly encourages wide play, which I much prefer. I think that Sweden will fit well into my normal play style, rewarding me for things that I already do - and encouraging me to focus even more heavily on some of them.

While I think that I might like Mali and Maori more. They are both certainly very interesting; however, they change a bit too much about the base game for me to start with them as my first Civ for GS.

the_m likes this.
  4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Changed from Maori to Sweden.

Currently it's looking like:

Sweden
    Maori
    Canada
    Mali
    Inca
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Hungary (because bleh warmongery)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    CPWimmer likes this.
  5. Pistol90

Pistol90 Chieftain

Sweden is OK , but still probably Ottomans --- if they appear not to be very good designed --- then probably Hungary.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

I'll update my list a little, but Sweden certainly won't be first. But they look more interesting than Canada to me.

1: Mali
    2: Maori
    3: Inca
    4: Phoenicia (tentative)
    5: Hungary
    6: Ottomans (tentative)
    7. Sweden
    8. Eleanor
    9. Canada
    10: USA maybe
    11: China
    12: Egypt
    13: Japan maybe
    and anyone else with significant changes

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  7. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

At this point my list is looking like such:

1. Inca
    2. Maori
    3. Sweden
    4. Mali
    5. Phoenicia?
    6. Eleanor?
    7. Ottomans? (may be higher than Eleanor if not overly warmongery--if too warmongery, will probably rank below Hungary)
    8. Hungary?
    ?. Canada

Subject to change based on future reveals, of course.

TahamiTsunami and Ondolindë like this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

It's funny that Sweden definitely fits my playstyle but I don't necessarily won't to play them first. I do want to put them in as an AI though just for the Nobel Prizes.

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  9. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Okay Sweden just jumped into my must play list, but my first play is still a toss up between Mali and The Inca

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  10. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I was thinking of choosing Canada as my first Civ to play as, but now i'm thinking Sweden. Culture buildings with at least 3 great works getting automatically themed is sweet, plus the extra great scientist point from Universities is nice.

I don't know though, definitely going to be either Sweden or Canada though from what has been revealed so far. I'm least impressed with the Inca, i'll probably only play them for the achievement.

11. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Im surprised everyone thinks Hungary is a 100% warmongering civ. Their abilities are excellent for a wide builder game, one that can win Dip quite easily as well.

12. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Chieftain

I love gold so unless Phoenicia and/or the Ottomans completely blow me away, it's Mali for me. Hard choice though, they've done a great job with the Civ design in GS, far better than R&F!

13. BrotherInJah

BrotherInJah 60% of the time works every time

I just looked at old saves, and apparently i have played Netherlands first, but only for couple of turns, as i was frustrated by the lack of good polders spots.. next was Cree and as it was played till end.. so it could be counted as 1st one.

Anyways, here is my GS list:

Inca
    France/England
    Maori
    Mali
    Sweden
    Canada
    Hungary

14. Weraptor

Weraptor Chieftain

Seems like Sweden is the way to go, I doubt I'll prefer Eleanor/Suleiman over Christina.

15. humble serf

humble serf Chieftain

Subject to change based on how well-designed the last three first looks are, but
    1. [Phoenicia]
    2. Inca
    3. Mali
    4. [English Eleanor]
    5. Canada
    6. [Ottomans]
    7. Hungary
    8. Maori
    9. [French Eleanor]
    10. Sweden
    The top 8 I'm really looking forward to. Sweden and French Eleanor... not so much.

16. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I've also seen people say the same about Sweden, I think Sweden perfectly suits a pacifist playstyle.

17. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

I think it will be a fairly balanced civ in that regard, dominating the world congress will give the ability to impose some pretty heavy penalties on your foes I wager.

18. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

That makes no sense to me. If you want to win Domination (or have a relevant advantage at it), you need to get bonuses which can be used early on, not by late renaissance. Sweden is only slightly better at it than a Civ without any Dom bonuses (such as Netherlands on Land Maps)

19. Caprikel

Caprikel Chieftain

A lot of the new civs have bonuses/play-styles that really appeal to me, so it will hard to choose who to start with.

I really enjoy domination games, so Hungary appeals to me with the unique incentive to wanting your armies to be primarily levied units from city-states, which will make their gameplay significantly different from what I would typically do with a domination game. Basically the game plan with them is to hoard up gold for levying use, and use levied armies to liberate more city-states from other Civs, and use them to grow my city-state armies. They might be one of the best civs for hoarding city-state allies since you get 2 free envoys from levying, and you get lots of free envoys for liberating city-states, which will be easier with domination bonuses. I might just end up pivoting to a diplomatic victory with them.

Then with the Maori I happen to also really like Naval cities and naval games in general, since Islands make really comfy cities, and naval units travel much faster than land units. Starting out in the Ocean will make settling much more fun with them, and being able to have colonies on islands and continents all over the map in the early-mid game will be very fun as well. Also having incentives to not chop will be nice since I don't like chopping as a mechanic in the first place.

With the Inca, having secluded mountain cities is also appealing, and unique improvements like the terrace farm that add food and production are also very fun to play around with. I don't even know what victory I would pursue with them, but having really nice mountain cities will be fun either way.

Mali is probably the civ that changes gameplay the most, with gold/faith purchasing being the primary way to construct most things. Setting up a strong faith/gold economy will be really rewarding, since you'll eventually get to the point where you can just buy everything with them. Their unique unit will also make combat really interesting with them, since you're incentivized to just kill as many units as you can to farm gold. Having an active way to get gold while having other passive sources of income will make their gameplay both dynamic and very rewarding. It will also be interesting to see how you can use gold to help with Diplomatic victories.

As for Canada and Sweden, they don't particularly fit with my usual playstyles, so right now they're the lowest on my list for civs I'll play. They do still have things that interest me though. Canada has bonuses to Tundra terrain, which will be pretty nice. Also those mountie created national parks would be fun to spam. For Sweden their Noble Prize is really interesting, which will probably lead me to having them as opponents in every game. Also their incentives for getting great people could be pretty interesting, as I haven't bothered trying to focus on generating great people before.

For vanilla civs, England is highest on my list to play since their change of replacing the museum with an industrial themed bonus will be really fun to try out. In one of the live streams England was producing the most pollution/CO2 by far, which means they would be my go to civ for purposely flooding the world with global warming. They might be the most fun for me to play specifically for Role play reasons.

So to conclude, my list for civs to play first will be Hungary or Mali first, then the other one second, then the Maori, then the Inca or England, and the other one afterwards. Of course the Ottomans might get some interesting domination abilities, and Phoenica might get interesting Naval/economic abilities, so they will likely be somewhere up there in my list. Also I might use Eleanor with England depending on her Leader Ability.

20. Xur

Xur Chieftain

Lost interest a while back... it seems more like a civ-pack, than an actual expansion.