Which unit do you think is the most unless?

I hardly build much military early on (on deity level). UNLESS a civ is really close to me, then its chariots away!!.
The unit i probably found useless was fighters.
Fave units are bombers, aegis cruisers, armour. And the BEST unit of all the settler/engineer.

I can count the chariots I have built on the fingers of one hand. I will use em if they pop out of huts or I can bribe them, but I usually wait until crusaders arrive with monotheism. Before that, my offensive punch consists of diplomats and whatever units I can get from huts.

Nukes, normally in my games by the time I actually have one ready to destroy the (world) enemy city, SDI defenses are already up and theres no way to get past that. I can't even destroy them with spys! lol.

I had nukes (finished) in 1909 ready to go on a carrier for transport to Russia (hehe) by 1914 Moscow was in my sights, and an SDI defense thwarted my attack. :mad:

Warriors are good... sure they can't do much in the way of defending anything, but pump a few hundred of those babys out and they can be used to waste your opponents moves trying to get through/around them if you set em up right :goodjob:

Settlers.

They can't attack, they can barely defend, they've only got one movement... what an utter waste of a unit slot.

Originally posted by LavosBacons
Settlers.

They can't attack, they can barely defend, they've only got one movement... what an utter waste of a unit slot.

I couldn't agree more. I mean what good is a unit that lacks offensive/defensife purposes?

And on a totaly unrelated question; How in gods name do you build cities?!? I see the AI do it all the time, it annoys the crap outta me!

Am I totally lacking a sense of humour, or is this a serious question? I`m not sure, but in a way I`m kind of hoping for the former...same thing about the post before. Don`t really know whether to laugh or cry. So please enlighten me, folks ;-)

What do you mean? Did you post here just to mock me? Well im sorry if i don't play Civilization II all day, but maybe i don't have the time to do that...

I mean, all i asked for was some help, and what do i get in return? I'll tell you, laughter. Yea, i know what you think... "That idiot .:KNAS:. that can't even build a simple city..."

Sorry man, I just thought that as you were familiar with the CivFanatics site, you should perhaps be familiar with the "Build City"-Order on the orders menu. Stupid Swede ;-) LOL!

Originally posted by LavosBacons
Settlers.

Are you joking or serious, I can't tell. How do you fight wars or win the space race? Useless, no, impractical waste of non-military dunderheaded food eating shield production, yes!

Originally posted by- oh i forget
-Partisans. I see these as Explorers with firearms

Wouldn't explorers with firearms be good, seen as they can defend themselves. However, i agree, they are useless:p :king:

Originally posted by Jamesds

3. Nukes - Keep a small stash of these around and keep those computers at bay! 'A nuke in your city keeps the computer civs at bay'. I know it doesn't rhyme but it's good, huh? Anyway, they make too much pollution. Too much.:nuke:

How does this work. Will the computer not nuke you if you have nukes or do you have to have a nuke in a particular city

Nukes at all is deterrent enough I think. So, if you don't plan to use them, it's proably safer to store it in a central city.
If you have nukes and you talk to the AI, they'll either say that they see you have joined the nuke-club or that they are afraid of your weapons and urge you to destroy them. Anyway, I take it as a sign that they will think twice before attacking me.:)

I'd have to agree with you on chariots, at least you can use warriors to make people happy, and cruse missiles can be used to blow up really tough units.

Originally posted by jc011
warriors and chariots are both bad, i never use any of them if i have to. (1,1,1) what can that do???
Warriors might suck but what else can you get for 10 shields? They can hold a city down for a turn, I guess...okay, warriors usually suck. But if barbarians suddenly appear at the corner of your explored area and you only have enough gold to "rush buy" ten shields, those Warriors start looking real good. Oh, and BTW: _nice_ quote..."in the land of Moria where the Shadows lie."

Has anybody noticed that Howitzers seem to powerful and thus "unrealistic"?

It's possible to fight an offensive ground war using mostly howitzers because they pound the snot out of enemy cities very very easily. This has always seemed unreal to me so i have made myself stop using them - preferring armor s my main land attack unit as it is in real life.

Does the Howitzer have any major advantage? I guess the movement factor but by modern times the enemy has rails so it's easy for you to move right up to the city in on move anyway. Also the defense factor but when on the attack you don't really care - the objective is capturing the city anyway - as long as you have a mech inf unit to defend with you're good.

It would be possible to barely ever use armor units in favour of howitzers which seems a little ridiculous in my mind....

The warrior is just a warrior

It isn't great, but it serves its perpose really well

I don't like:

Chariots (I know someone who uses these well, but I have polytheism before I have the wheel)
Catapult (slow. Has power, but slow. I build them as much as legions. 1 or 2 a game!)
The rest of the Artillery (I never get around to building Howies)
Destroyer
Fighter (If they don't run out of feul, they die when attacking, although they are the only things that attack bombers)

EDIT: Out of curiousity:

Would any of these units be better if you could upgrade them like in Civ3?

Top Bottom