While We Wait: Writer's Block & Other Lame Excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darksaber: Some people have already posted obvious complaints about moderator actions in this discussion. Why would a moderator not punish people for breaking forum rules? I don't think talking about another forum is breaking the rules, but talking about how "terrible" the moderators here are is. Which has already been done here. I hope that post will be the first and last, and that it will be removed quickly. (thanks!)

Well, in my personally opinion, that sort of stance easily leads to admins simply nuking any criticism or complain against them, ignoring all disagreement with them.

But yes, there have definitely been statements made the go beyond disagreement or criticism, and are just attempt to insult. We definitely don't need those, since that sort of thing usually just leads to admins and mods getting prickly, and reacting increasingly harshly, potentially to the point where my first paragraph comes true.

I don't think we can call this the passing of the old guard, since you can't find much older guard than me and erez. Really, though, there have been attempts in the past to migrate, and all have failed (eventually) usually to the detriment of the community as a whole. If the new endeavor is to work it requires the following:

1. Forum settings suitable for an NES. Included would be a good attachment size maximum, high PM limit, and easily navigable forums themselves. The short-lived NES.com and NESworld both failed because they couldn't pull that off.

2. Other content that pulls in a regular influx of new people. The reason that Strategic Command Center failed and the CFC community survived is because CFC, due to being the primary Civilization fansite, constantly attracts new people to the forums, who then eventually stumble into NESing. If a new endeavor fails to have a source of regularly incoming new players, it will fail.

I'm not staying here because I care about whatever moderator dispute took place (cause I really don't care). I'm staying on CFC because it's the rational, practical choice to maintaining an active NES, even if this affair does diminish the total player base.

My sincere hope is that the CFC moderation staff recognizes the need for the NESing community to have one of their own enforcing the forum rules. People shouldn't feel intimidated or afraid, but they need to feel like they're being moderated by someone they know and respect.

Yes, spam should be deleted and troll accounts should be stopped. But that doesn't justify heavy-handed attempts to quell rational discussion of the issues, as has happened.

My belief is that the moderating staff will choose us a new moderator from the many highly-educated, highly qualified candidates here on CFC to stem this exodus.

Well, in my personally opinion, that sort of stance easily leads to admins simply nuking any criticism or complain against them, ignoring all disagreement with them.

Meh. The moderators here never showed any lack of taking criticism or complain, as long as it comes in accordance to the rules. In fact they have even given us what people are asking now again, a NESer moderator, who apparently left NESing eventually.

I don't think we can call this the passing of the old guard, since you can't find much older guard than me and erez..

Hehe. I think das is still around.

to stem this exodus.

There is no "exodus". Just a bunch of people who are leaving. You are making it way more than it really is. People have always come and go.

And the discussions that went here were unacceptable.

I'll make plans for the post-apocalypse. I already have ideas running for when this "exodus" is complete.

I've actually been pondering reusing my initial plan for Hegemons in a world where all of the polar ice has melted suddenly (cause reasons) in the near future. Could be a fun return to a global NES from Fallout. Here's what I'd be using as my base:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

Don't suppose you can recommend where to look for a decent map of the inverse, would you? I have plans for a long-post apocalyptic NES, and am looking for a good, clear outline of sea-level changes in an early Ice Age. Mostly for the Americas, but Europe would be useful too.

I suppose you mean with a new Ice Age with modern continental setup? I've seen a few here and there, but they're always just artistic stuff, not just a plain and simple selection of maps like that one. Sorry.

I suppose you mean with a new Ice Age with modern continental setup? I've seen a few here and there, but they're always just artistic stuff, not just a plain and simple selection of maps like that one. Sorry.

About what I suspected. Guess I'll just have to dig through USGS data to find what I want. Ah well, least I'll get to put my education to use for something. And yeah, modern geography in the early stages of global cooling.

I am not impressed whatsoever by you Vichy types who appear to think half or more of the forum leaving is an opportunity to wipe clean the slate of your political opponents and establish some kind of new regime.

I am not impressed whatsoever by you Vichy types who appear to think half or more of the forum leaving is an opportunity to wipe clean the slate of your political opponents and establish some kind of new regime.

You are, or course, correct. We* need to actively eliminate a few more dissidents first :p.

*Not be mistaken for actual feeling on matter or perceived ideological loyalties.

I'd like to be serious just for a moment, maybe it is time to begin again, and draw up a fresh start for NESing as a whole here on CFC. We've always been given incredible amounts of leeway here with what we've been allowed to do, say, and write in our NESes, and I've never once been disturbed in any of the NESes I've done. I look at the threads and see a bunch of "going to move my NES" posts, and become a bit saddened by them. What makes me sadder is the thought that all of our history could be lost should the community die, and worse, if it failed to die here, instead dying piece by piece on god knows what forums. Personally I think we should do what we should have been doing from the beginning: Moderating and Playing in NESes. That's all that should take place in these forums, nothing else. I've very little interest in playing political games that are outside an NES, and so if it comes down to it, I'll be keeping an NES open here by myself if I must, and I have no intention of abandoning the home of NESing in search of a Promised Land. Call that "Vichy" if you'd like, but I will do whatever it takes to keep the fire burning. /endserious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom