Who is the most influential person ever?

Who is the most influential?

• Muhammad

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Isaac Newton

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Jesus Christ

Votes: 98 51.3%
  • Buddha

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Confucius

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St. Paul

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Ts'ai Lun

• Johannes Gutenburg

• Christopher Colombus

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Albert Einstein

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Louis Pasteur

• Galileo Galilei

• Aristotle

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Euclid

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Moses

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Charles Darwin

• Shih Huang Ti

• Augustus Caesar

• Nicholas Copernicus

• Antoine Lavoisier

• Constantine the Great

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • James Watt

• Micheal Faraday

• James Maxwell

• Other

Votes: 16 8.4%

• Total voters
Jesus. Runner up: St. Paul. The worldview they spread just changed way too many things at every level. Pretty foundational stuff, and 1/3 the population under the umbrella, to boot... I think islam and science are pretty high up there, too, but not "the most".

If Muhammed and Jesus got into a fist fight who will win?

Why is Nicholas Copernicus up there? Although his therios are right, it took another 500 years for someone to believe him.

1. Aristotle
2. St. Paul
3. Jesus Christ
4. Mohammed
5. Watt
6. Darwin
7. Gutenberg
8. Marx
9. Plato

I voted for Muhammad. The argument that he's a prophet in Islam could be used to put Abraham or Moses at #1 as well.

I have that book; it's an interesting read for any histroy buff. The order that the OP listed these names is the actual order that the author of the book gave. In other words, Muhammed is #1, Newton is #2, Christ is #3 and so forth. As mentioned by a previous poster, Christ is only half responsible for the dominance of Christianity. St. Paul (#6, incidentally) was responsible for its spread. By contrast, Muhammed was responsible for not just the founding of Islam, not just its spread, but also for the founding of a political entity based on his religion. For that reason, the author ranks Muhammed in the top spot.

Marx is also ranked in the book, albeit below 50, IIRC.

It is Darwin.

Without Darwinism, Fascism, Nazism, and Communism would have never existed.

Marx himself said communism existed long before, he was just presenting its reason in scientific form. Fascism (and therefore Nazism) may not have used the same reasoning, but being a nationalist doesnt require social darwinsim, holding your country over others isn't a hard realization to come by.
And I would say that Marx should be there, not for communism, but for bringing into light class struggles and workers rights, even if communism hasn't really taken hold, the ideas of giving the worker more power have had a huge influence on the modern world. (but its not that he should be up there, you said you used the top 24 off a list, and if he wasn't there then you can't help it)

But I honestly can't say I choose someone. And that thought brings to mind if any one person really does have that kind of impact.

I'm really surprised Karl Marx isn't on the list. He's probably the 5th most influential person in history at least.

Only to 16 year old suburban white kids.

Augustus signified the end of the Roman republic and the emergence of the Roman empire. This might have happened at any point later or earlier in time, but I like to think this was the most decisive moment for it to happen. If it weren't for the empire's will to rule, christianity would never have been made state religion. If it weren't for the unstable succession of the emperors causing one civil war upon another, the romans could have ruled on for much of the time called the dark ages, the medieval era might have been an era of enlightenment 400 years earlier than in reality.

Um, I know it's a habit of many to deny the relevence of the States in order to feel more secure about their own, but don't you think a Washington or Lincoln might be kinda relevent to the world we live in?

Ι wouldn't expect the inclusion of so many mythical persons.

Jesus, whether he existed or not.

In this sort of poll, the right option is bound to be someone who is far back in history. For example: If there was no William the Conqueror, England would be totally different, the UK would, and so would the entire world. Unfortunately, if there's a poll, people vote incorrectly for people who are far too recent. There was a 100 top Britons poll, quite a few years ago now. David Beckham reached 23rd IIRC, which is just simply ridiculous, but that's what happens when the public votes.

Christianity has had a huge impact on the world over the last 2000 years, and although it's on the decline in many countries, western countries have developed around the religion.

Ι wouldn't expect the inclusion of so many mythical persons.

Mythical? Other than Jesus, whose physical existence could be argued either way, who exactly on that list is considered mythical?

Edit: Whoops, missed Moses... better double check... nah, just Jesus and Moses then. Anyone else?

Um, I know it's a habit of many to deny the relevence of the States in order to feel more secure about their own, but don't you think a Washington or Lincoln might be kinda relevent to the world we live in?

Considering the full scope of six thousand years of human history, the US has only had an effect on the last two hundred. While the population of the planet is larger that it has ever been, and the US holds the dominant role in world politics for the forseeable future, its effect on world history as a whole is extremely limited.

As such, while the United States would have been vastly different had someone like Oliver Cromwell been our first president, would the US have turned out much differently had Adams been our first pres? Or if Greene ended up leading the Continental Army?

Washington's greatest accomplishment was stepping down from the presidency after two terms, and I suspect that Adams would have done similarly. As for the Revolutionary War? The war was won once Gates won Saratoga. What happened at Yorktown was a forgone conclusion that could've happened to anyone else anywhere else, thanks to Saratoga.

As for Lincoln? What about him? The North and South were so economically dependent on each other (the South much more so than the North), and world attitudes on slavery so rapidly shifting, that even if the South had successfully seceded, they couldn't do business with the rest of the world. The Confederacy would've won European recognition, but Europe would've continued to boycott Southern cotton so long as the South used slave labor (and so long as India could fulfill Europe's cotton demand). As a result, the Confederacy would have remained economically wed to the Union, and reintegration would probably have happened eventually, albeit much more slowly and with much less pain and suffering to the South.

Edit: BTW, IIRC Washington was...#60something? Lincoln was unranked.

Well, duh, Charlemaigne! If it weren't for him, Europe wouldn't be as united as they were, and teh Moors would've taken over!

Top Bottom