1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are you here?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Feb 15, 2006.

1. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

I'm here because I needed a break from my endless war against the damn demon lovers Sheaim.

Hmm, I just realizing the irony with my current FfH war and my alias here. At least I aim high.

2. Justicar333

Justicar333 Warlord

I'm here because of this kick butt little scenario packaged with BtS. Could not get anywhere, left it for like 6 months. Then one day, it dawned on me my mistake. Played the hell out of it, and started looking for more. Eventually ending up here, with the full thing goin on. You guys made an awesome mod, virtually a new game itself. So now hanging around, keeping up on events. Chilling with folks got the same addiction.

If your ever in town, first round is on me. =)

3. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

I notice you don't list your town;)
    But I'm glad our plan to hook people with AoI worked on you.

4. Justicar333

Justicar333 Warlord

:D

Fixed ;) True, I had no ideal anything like FfH existed out there. AoI was an excellent plan, and now I can't go back to BtS without feeling something is missing. :cool:

5. Judicator

Judicator Chieftain

Klasse Spiel!

6. ScrubbyTheKid

ScrubbyTheKid Chieftain

Actually thats the frist introduction thread with an intelligent titel.. :)
    Brings up a lot of questions... but anyways

I'm here to... first of all show my appreciation for your amazing mod.
    I've always been a great fan of Age of Wonder (1 and 2) but since I stumbled over this mod I didnt start AoW even once, because this mod is all AoW is or better should be.

And something i noticed: Whenever I start the game with any race except elves I start in an area of the map thats completly covered with forrests and whenever I start with an elven race I start in a place with a whole lot of deserts and floodplains... is that some sort of weird feature or does the game mechanics simply hate me? :crazyeye:

7. Humakty

Humakty Happy Goblin

I think you're just unlucky with the elves, but it is true a startpos in forest cripples a game with any other faction. The solution is to beeline bronze working, meanwhile using any square not covered in forest to put one farm (take agriculture civic) and some cottages. It should allow to mitigate your problem at prince difficulty or lower.
    Remember that all those forests that cripple you before BW will become a great boon once you have BW.

8. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Though, the starting settler has 4 moves and an immense sight radius, you can move it! :p

9. ScrubbyTheKid

ScrubbyTheKid Chieftain

1. of course i focus on BW if im surrounded by woods.. (or fishin if i have a financial leader and i'm close to a coast) but thx for the tip anyways

and 2. most of the time i do move the settler... sometimes it helps.. :)...

its more psychological thing... startin the multiplayer game with my friends... hopin for a decent startin pos.. lookin at the screen and .. oh no not the woods again.. :D

10. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

It's interesting to me actually. I'm not a fantasy type person. I've never really been interested in fantasy stories, books, game, etc. When I was a teenager, I dabbled in D&D, read a few Piers Anthony books, but that's about it. I have enjoyed a good fantasy film now and again, however.

Why was I attracted to this game? Well, I have to say at first that I was turned off by the overt evil of the game (I'm not into demonic stuff, etc. even if it is fantasy story). However, I AM into stories of Good vs. Evil with the ultimate triumph of good.

I decided to download the mod, and Woah! What an amazing feat (as in: great mod!). My very first game as Cardith Lorda (did I spell that right?) was VERY fun. I conquered an evil empire on "my" island, discovered "The Order" and converted the one neutral civ on the island to "Good." All civs on the island were good and declared war on the "Evil" civs on the other continent.

Good triumphed, of course. :D . . . especially with my awesome Sphenor and other heroes.

I didn't quite understand the whole magic path with the "nodes" and other things. I've since started a couple of different games, and none of them have felt nearly as epic as my first game. I'm kind of surprised, actually.

That is the reason I decided to post here.

I thought, perhaps, I could relay to you that it would be nice if some element could be added to the game (through Python scripting or whatever) with which the sides of Good and Evil are more pronounced, insomuch as the "Good" guys are staunch allies, and the "Evil" guys finally decide to set aside a bit of their petty selfishness and gather their vast armies to defeat good.

I know you mentioned in your opening that this game is about good not always being perfectly good, etc. But I think you could make the differences somehow more pronounced. I find it very odd in a game that one of the Evil civs is attempting to befriend me, a good civ --which, in my role-playing, I never allow (I always choose "It ain't happening!").

Hmmm . . . just some observations, but I must say you truly have an amazing mod, even for someone "not into" fantasy! :goodjob:

11. Kael

Kael Deity

Good feedback. The Armageddon Count provides the feature you are looking for. The higher it gets the bigger attitude bonus good leaders get with other good leaders, and evil leaders get with other evil leaders. Likewise the attitude penalty good leaders get with evil leaders is increased and vise versa.

We didnt want every game to fall into the classic good vs evil conflict, but we wanted to incent that sort of behavior in the AI in aggresive games. Without mandating that human players had to follow a strict path.

12. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

that is quiet ironic in a way... a "good" leader can actually increase the armaggeddon counter by doing evil deads to get the other "good" leaders to form an alliance with him and unite against the evil guys... i like that :)

13. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

When Basium arrives the AC actually goes up by 5 ;)

EDIT: Try playing with Permanent alliance on some time too, it can get REAL sick.

14. Goodgimp

Goodgimp Warlord

Wow, really? Hah, that's one of the things I love about this mod. I've been playing it to death for ages, but I never knew that. :)

15. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

You'll be more likely to get that sort of game if you select your opponents and potential allies beforehand. If you turn off some of the early religions, especially neutral FoL, you'll find the world more polarized as well, and the speed of increase of the AC can be likewise adjusted with game settings.

16. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

Thanks, Kael, for the response. I was wondering what the AC was for. Thanks!

You know, it's interesting you mention this. I happened to just think along this path after I made my post. I thought, I wonder if I negated all but one evil and one good religion and chose specific civs and even started with permanent alliances. Interesting . . .

17. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

In case you didn't think to check, Kael has some design notes like that in the game concepts section of the civlopedia in game that might be illuminating about various features.

18. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it. :)

19. whosadork

whosadork Chieftain

i'm here for civ

20. Colonel Kraken

Colonel Kraken Deity

Kael and Nikis,

I just wanted to let you know that I tried some suggestions and definitely got the type of game I was looking for! :crazyeye:

I eliminated all but two religions: Ashen Veil and The Order. I had 4 Good and 4 Evil players. Put the AC on double.

Yikes! What a trip. Fun game, though! I'm Bannor, and have the strongest military. The 4 horseman have already been released (I defeated one of 'em). Hyboreum (sp?) just declared war on me, and I'm off to defeat him.

Great game. Great mod. Thanks a bunch! :goodjob: