1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do some people completely ignore others they know?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by longtimelurker0, May 19, 2015.

1. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

To be fair, if you'd done that I'd probably just have assumed you were gay anyway. People don't normally tend to overthink things to this degree about people they're not romantically interested in. Yeah, if it was a male FRIEND who occasionally did this it would be worth asking, but as I said earlier, you are still a long way from being able to call this person a friend, or much beyond a vague acquaintance.

2. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

If the scope of the OP's intent is to focus on the "why would a vague acquaintance with only neutral-to-amicable communication so far ignore someone outright, but only occasionally", it might be better to get back on that track, especially because it's a less common line of thought than the romantic stuff despite being probably more common in practice (I have a lot more people that are acquaintances where neither person is interested in more than that than I have or know of romantic interests, and project that such is true for most people).

So, other than social anxiety, what does lead people towards this behavior? I gradually conditioned myself out of it starting over a decade ago so I only vaguely remember my emotions at the time, and it often wasn't a conscious decision to avoid social interactions (and when it was, it was a combo of not wanting to do something and guilt over not wanting to do it that led me to act in ways that I would consider dishonest today, to myself and others. I think it's fair to define that as social anxiety though).

4. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Going here there and everywhere is so boring. I couldn't even chat to friends on social media websites.

5. Væringjar

Væringjar Warlord

Spoiler :

6. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

Its one of those things that would be all in the delivery. Can't get with a bunch of buds and tell them your plan so they stand there and giggle while the comedic line is delivered. Can't be an idiot about it.

It would have to be in a public place but spoken quietly.

Better if one has an apple. :D

Apple in hand go to girl and say, "Do you like apples?" Then she will start thinking the apple is a gift, but quickly have a bite. That will throw her off, wonder.

Then, "Well, yes?"

Then, quietly, but with conviction, "Ever do it standing up?"

Then while shock sets in pull an apple out of your bag and offer it.

"Want one?" Friendly smile...:)

Of course I've already over thought this. Best taken on the fly or one would could appear nervous. That's doom, a smack in the face, a "He's weird" to other college girls for all eternity. You would be forever resigned to hitting on the girl working the local 7-11, and those girls all have bulky domineering bfs named Bud. Bud's main pleasure in life is delivering wedgies to guys who hit on his gf at the 7-11, so go in confident, don't think about the wedgies if you fail.

7. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Yes, you need humor *and* confidence if you want things to be effective. Really that goes beyond the scope of romantic type stuff, it's advantageous in interactions in general, though obviously context-sensitive (when is humor not though).

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I would advise the reader to not repeat the exercise using a banana instead of the apple.

9. Væringjar

Væringjar Warlord

You supposed to help :mischief:

10. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

11. bhavv

Why go out when I can be in bed instead???

Mmmmmm, bed!

12. Væringjar

Væringjar Warlord

Lol!

But, let's not turn this thread to meme battle :D

13. CavLancer

For the young there is adventure and personal advancement outside the door.

14. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Because bed is better when you share it with someone else.

15. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Depends on who you share with.

Lady Gaga: not so bad. (If a tad disconcerting).

Lady Crocodile: unmitigated disaster.

16. bhavv

I don't understand how going out and getting completely wasted in a cheapo tacky bar / club counts as either of those things.

17. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Well yeah, you've gotta pick the right person to share it with, but you have a fair bit of control over that.

18. CavLancer

Certainly such places make up some small part of the world but not the bits I was talking about.

There is work if you need money, school if you don't. Nature in parks, God in prayer, and the stars of our galaxy spread across the night sky. There's children needing guidance, elderly needing help... Life, you know.

19. bhavv

None of those things classify as 'going out', least not in the UK.

20. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Whyzat?