Why do some people completely ignore others they know?

Make conversation.

"Hey, do you like apples?" "Well, yes." "Ever do it standing up?"

She's an engineer, she'll think about the design parameters.

I'm serious.

I've never "done" apples standing up. I'm not even sure what "doing" apples refers to. Standing up or otherwise.

Apples are best standing up.

"Spoons" I know about. And I can "do" spoons standing up or lying down. Doesn't make much difference to me.

But "Apples"?

Its technical.

Make conversation.

I'm serious.
I think it's more likely she will start thinking about maximum distance optimization.

Its possible, I admit. However, nothing ventured... I'd assume a deep intake a breath, a shocked look of incredulity as the reality of what was said comes home. The next day, a glance and a smile. In a perfect world.

She also might not like apples, a couple of wild cards there.

I just asked wondering why any person, regardless of gender, would behave like this in general, and I could've just as easily asked this if a guy acquaintance ignored me the same way she did. I figured it be useful to know for any type of interactions I have with others in the future, with guys or girls, casual, professional or romantic.

In summary, people are weird and irrational.

Lolz. Boy has first crush. To teh interwebs! Civfanatics furems, I choose u!

You could do worse.

I think it's more likely she will start thinking about maximum distance optimization.

And this is why you could do worse. At least here, it's entertaining.

I wouldn't try to figure out what her actions mean or what the intentions behind them are. You could very well go insane if you go down that road.. It doesn't matter if you think she likes you, or doesn't, or whatever. You won't really know until you try to act and she responds (or doesn't).

Remember, as a male North American society expects you to act first. That's probably applicable to most European countries too, but I think they're a bit more progressive in that regard. She is likely not going to go out of her way to seek you out, even if she likes you. It seems like a sexist thing to say, but from my experience women are for the most part going to stand around batting their eyelashes, not approaching the objects of their desires. Those objects need to come to them. You're expected to make all the moves and she is likely going to keep her cards far away from your view.

Now, there are exceptions to this rule, but you shouldn't count on it. Don't obsess over it, don't put her up on a pedestal, don't try to figure her out - just live your life and use your social skills to engage. Or don't.

Social interaction's a two-way street dude. And social pressures/DA PATRIARCHY reinforces meek/subservient behavior among women (as in many are reluctant to initiate conversation with men). If all you do is stare at her and smile and awkwardly wave there are all manner of things that could be running through her head. Maybe she thinks you're a weirdo. Maybe she's picking up that you're macking on her (because you're staring at her like a weirdo) but doesn't feel the same and feels awkward. Maybe she's into you but is waiting for you to make the first move. Maybe she's unsure of what you two are (friends? acquaintances? staring-buddies?) and so isn't sure how you two are supposed to work around other people.

If you want to get to know this girl (whether as friends/so's/[fornicate] buddies/whatever) you're going to need to talk to her. In a not-over-facebook context.

Make conversation.

I'm serious.

I wouldn't try to figure out what her actions mean or what the intentions behind them are. You could very well go insane if you go down that road.. It doesn't matter if you think she likes you, or doesn't, or whatever. You won't really know until you try to act and she responds (or doesn't).

Remember, as a male North American society expects you to act first. That's probably applicable to most European countries too, but I think they're a bit more progressive in that regard. She is likely not going to go out of her way to seek you out, even if she likes you. It seems like a sexist thing to say, but from my experience women are for the most part going to stand around batting their eyelashes, not approaching the objects of their desires. Those objects need to come to them. You're expected to make all the moves and she is likely going to keep her cards far away from your view.

Now, there are exceptions to this rule, but you shouldn't count on it. Don't obsess over it, don't put her up on a pedestal, don't try to figure her out - just live your life and use your social skills to engage. Or don't.

Yeah. These things.

If I ignore someone I know, it's usually because I have something important I am trying to get done and don't want to be held up or delayed by having to stop and have a conversation with the person. Perhaps she thinks the same way?

I agree with all your points. Again, like I mentioned earlier, a part of me wanted to know whether or not she liked me given the evidence, and whether or not I should ask her out. I explicitly asked about that on other websites, not here, with more details than what was given here. (I'm sorry, I don't trust gaming nerds with giving actual love life advice :lol: jk lol) . Another part of me, though, was curious of why she ignored me for so long for non-romantic reasons. Like I said earlier, this part of me would've asked that same question here if a guy ignored me, then suddenly started acting friendly to me weeks later, the same way she did. I probably should've changed this story so it was a guy ignoring me like this, minus the smiling and any other romantic type details so it doesn't sound gay or anything, so you guys wouldn't have gotten so caught up in the crush and romantic aspects of this.

Do you like her? If yes, I can understand you but if you are not interested in her, why do you care that much?

Do you like her? If yes, I can understand you but if you are not interested in her, why do you care that much?

Yes I like her. But if I don't like her, I would still ask this question if someone treated me like she did (the part when she ignored me like a complete stranger). Obviously I wouldn't go on other websites asking if that person likes me if I don't like her back, but the question posted here would still be posted. Most of the cues that she gave me that might signify she likes me, I actually omitted them here but talked about them on other forums, because I came here not to talk about how likely she likes me. Most of the other cues, like looking my way at certain times for instance, well I can easily imagine that happening even if she doesn't like me, so there's nothing odd or unexplainable about them either way.

But to answer your question of why I care (even if I don't like her): It's usually pretty easy to tell if someone is a likes you or dislikes you (as a person, not romantically). However, If he or she treats you like you're a total stranger for a good period of time (even though that person clearly knows you), then all of a sudden start being nice to you, well I guess I'm just curious as to why he or she doesn't seem as straightforward as most others I met. In fact, the way she treated me, I can easily imagining something like this happening in the workplace, where office politics means that I'll meet many who aren't as straightforward as they would be in college and it might seem good to understand such people right now if I have the chance. Though admittedly, I guess I did learn from the replies here that humans can be irrational, and I shouldn't care about it as much as I have.

I should also say that I'm pretty socially awkward, and pretty much "broke out of my shell" so to speak only when college started. So I always feel like I need to learn more about humans interact. even if at times I shouldn't care that much.

Make conversation.

I'm serious.

You Know Cavlancer you are unique :goodjob:

Thats so insane and unique that it may work....Or fail amusingly then you can put it on youtube and you will get girls because everyone loves a comedian!

Again, look at it from her perspective. Maybe she likes you, but every time you guys make eye contact you just wave and keep your distance. It's very likely that she's wondering the same thing about you:

"What the [fornication] is his deal? Does he like me? We hit it off great on facebook but in real life he won't even give me the time of day! AAAAHHH".

You're in college so it's forgiven if you don't know how to do this stuff. But you need to start learning how to be a grown-up. Use your words. "Hey I like you, want to go grab a coffee with me sometime?" "No sorry, I don't like you that way." "Ok" (move on) OR "Yeah sure! I was wondering when you'd ask me out; I've had enough of all this tension-filled awkward staring and waving!" Either way you're never going to know how she feels unless you use your words.

Ask her if she likes sausages.

If yes, ask if she wants to eat your sausage.

If no, then ask if she would like to still try / taste your sausage.

Yes I like her. But if I don't like her, I would still ask this question if someone treated me like she did (the part when she ignored me like a complete stranger). Obviously I wouldn't go on other websites asking if that person likes me if I don't like her back, but the question posted here would still be posted. Most of the cues that she gave me that might signify she likes me, I actually omitted them here but talked about them on other forums, because I came here not to talk about how likely she likes me. Most of the other cues, like looking my way at certain times for instance, well I can easily imagine that happening even if she doesn't like me, so there's nothing odd or unexplainable about them either way.

But to answer your question of why I care (even if I don't like her): It's usually pretty easy to tell if someone is a likes you or dislikes you (as a person, not romantically). However, If he or she treats you like you're a total stranger for a good period of time (even though that person clearly knows you), then all of a sudden start being nice to you, well I guess I'm just curious as to why he or she doesn't seem as straightforward as most others I met. In fact, the way she treated me, I can easily imagining something like this happening in the workplace, where office politics means that I'll meet many who aren't as straightforward as they would be in college and it might seem good to understand such people right now if I have the chance. Though admittedly, I guess I did learn from the replies here that humans can be irrational, and I shouldn't care about it as much as I have.

I should also say that I'm pretty socially awkward, and pretty much "broke out of my shell" so to speak only when college started. So I always feel like I need to learn more about humans interact. even if at times I shouldn't care that much.

as an introvert person, don't even know how many "friends" I'm avoiding in a day. If I don't want to hang out with them, I avoid them. It's just simple, no? My friends from work were calling me that "We are all going here, going there" etc. and I was saying "no" all the time and after couple times they got the answer "No" they don't call me anymore. The point is, if she avoids you, you should leave her alone or ask her straightly.

You're in college so it's forgiven if you don't know how to do this stuff. But you need to start learning how to be a grown-up. Use your words. "Hey I like you, want to go grab a coffee with me sometime?" "No sorry, I don't like you that way." "Ok" (move on) OR "Yeah sure! I was wondering when you'd ask me out; I've had enough of all this tension-filled awkward staring and waving!" Either way you're never going to know how she feels unless you use your words.

This is the only way to find it out, if she likes him or not. And if she says "No", just don't insist and move on. She is not the only girl on the entire planet. People who insist on a girl/boy looks childish.

P.S: Why do you want to have a GF anyway? Find a girl to marry, not hang out in clubs. -Yup I'm a traditional guy- I'm not saying, "don't marry a beautiful girl" but girls nowadays (there are of course exceptions) are just looking for fun. You must have money, you must be handsome/good looking etc. But, you're going to need a real woman when you get old not a party girl.

Top Bottom