Why is being intelligent not considered "cool?"

I'm only 23 and intelligence seems valued in my circles.

Maybe your generation has learned a few things. Or you hang out with nerds. :p

Seriously thats a good thing. If only became a mainstream norm.

I'm only 23 and intelligence seems valued in my circles.

I had in mine after I left school, that's what I mean you form your friendships in school, and then when you get a bit older you learn to discriminate less.

I'm very smart and consider myself cool. I really don't care if people who are less intelligent than me deem me "uncool", because I can find fulfillment in my life outside of drugs and underage drinking.

I was hated because I could pass any test thrown at me with out doing any studying (which made my teachers mad as well). I was loved because I taught them how to grow weed indoors. Genius wannabes are uncool because they think being a jerk to people makes them cool in some way.

Being smart is cool in my school. I don't know what you're talking about. I think that the 'smart is not cool' thing is just another common misconception, because I've never seen it in my life.

Being intelligent is in fact considered cool--to a degree. After all, when somebody acts like an idiot at a party, he or she generally gets laughed at and made fun of.

But the answer to the thread question lies in the primary driving force behind human behavior: the drive to form groups. Intelligence is considered cool--it's just that social networking is considered "more cool". When forced to choose between the two (and this happens all the time), we mostly choose the second one.

If you're intelligent AND cool, well, you've got it made. Lots of luck pulling this one off, however.

I'd consider myself both intelligent and cool. Fact is that a lot of people who whine and moan about how "un-intelligent" people are beneath them usually suck at interacting with people and are pissy about it deep inside.

Whereas people who brag about being cool usually aren't cool at all. Usually they're just drunkards/idiots who think being cool is about being a dumbass. True coolness comes from finding your own way of how to do things. It comes from inside.

I know a lot of stuff, am smart/well spoken, and am usually the one to raise my hand in class, which is intelligent, but which many kids also consider cool. But I am also witty, a good conversationalist, and a charmer if need be, which is a cool thing as well.

So yea, I've got both. That's the best way to do it.

It really does depend on who you hang out with. Different subcultures and social groups value intelligence differently. At a local school, some black kids were beat up by others for doing their homework and getting all A's, they were said to be "acting white." On the other hand, the people who I hang out with generally value my intelligence. It just depends on the people and their values.

Being intelligent isn't unpopular, being nerdy is. Don't flaunt your intelligence or make it a large part of who you are and you'll be fine. People don't like to feel inferior.

I was hated because I could pass any test thrown at me with out doing any studying (which made my teachers mad as well). I was loved because I taught them how to grow weed indoors. Genius wannabes are uncool because they think being a jerk to people makes them cool in some way.

Actually, come to think of it, that was true in high school for me as well. Intelligence itself wasn't uncool. Trying hard was uncool. In fact, not trying and doing well anyway was highly-valued, which generally indicates intelligence.

I find intelligence is "uncool" only with a certain group of people, as a rule if your hyper-intelligent you probably won't be thought of as uncool by people of equal capability, simply the lesser people wish they had your powers.

I know there is nothing that gets on my nerves more than someone who is better than me at something I want to be good at and we both know it. Generally I do my best to enlist them and use there knowledge and ability for my own purposes instead of being unjustly jealous, but the temptation is there. A lot of people are very bad at resisting that temptation.

Top Bottom