Why is sexuality not allowed in the game, but violence is A-ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Penalty (another item on the no-go list) is also in the game with multiple buildings (crime punishment) but I think the key here is that they are not added glorifying it.
I live in Germany and we're pretty sensitive about the whole nazi thing. Denying the holocaust is a crime, same for showing pictures of Hitler or nazi symbols (especially swastikas). But it's allowed to talk about and even show those things in a historical, non-glorifying context (e.g. documentary) and I feel like the same applies here for this mod. That's also why hitler can't be a leaderhead because that could be considered as glorifying (because you could play as him and lead him to victory).

And the Hitler-as-leaderhead issue really shows to me that it's not about "Hitler was a really bad guy so he shouldn't be in the mod" because other historical bad guys (or bad things) are the game like Ghengis Khan or clear references to the Crusades and that's not considered offensive or insensitive at all - for various reasons but that's how it is.

What's Germany's take on games in which you play as the Allies and are fighting against Hitler? There are so many games with that theme. Is it not allowed because it has Nazi stuff or allowed because the Nazi's are the villains in the game?

No suicide booths, then. Not sure why this is worse than the death penalty or human cloning, though.

I find this only funny since Bender met Fry at a suicide booth in Futurama (because he thought it was a telephone booth).

Hydro's stated we aren't going into fantasy, and I'm guessing he counts the paranormal as such.

We have an Astrology School and Astrology tech. The building gives a little culture and science. Even the misguided Astrologers did learn something about the cycles of the planets which helped lead to early astronomy (goes obsolete at astronomy tech).

Could make an interesting scenario, I suppose; culture and civs provide the ingredients, and we have Santa Anna as a Mexican leaderhead.

I was actually thinking of making a California as well as a Texas culture due to their unique histories. Texas was its own Country for a time and California almost became its own (separate from New Spain). I think there are even custom units made in the download section for them.

Also Prussia IS already a culture. it just has no unique unit yet.

What's Germany's take on games in which you play as the Allies and are fighting against Hitler? There are so many games with that theme. Is it not allowed because it has Nazi stuff or allowed because the Nazi's are the villains in the game?

It totally depends on how the game portrays it. I'm not entirely up to date but I think the decision makers have become a tiny bit more lax with video games being accepted as a form of art under certain circumstances.
But at least in the past games that only showed Swastikas were either banned or would have to remove the offending symbols. There is no problem when you fight in WW2 against Germans (or even for!) as long as there are no Nazi symbols or images of Hitler (also the german soldiers obviously can't shout "Heil Hitler", that has to be cut).

Thinking about it, with the negative traits I wonder if a Hitler leaderhead maybe could be portrayed critically enough to be allowed in Germany now (just theoretically, obviously that is no argument to add that because other countries have other laws on this issue and it really wouldn't add much to the game, Germany could rather use a modern LH like Helmut Kohl [Cha/Hum/Prg] or Gerhard Schröder[Cha/Fin/Pol])

It totally depends on how the game portrays it. I'm not entirely up to date but I think the decision makers have become a tiny bit more lax with video games being accepted as a form of art under certain circumstances.
But at least in the past games that only showed Swastikas were either banned or would have to remove the offending symbols. There is no problem when you fight in WW2 against Germans (or even for!) as long as there are no Nazi symbols or images of Hitler (also the german soldiers obviously can't shout "Heil Hitler", that has to be cut).

Thinking about it, with the negative traits I wonder if a Hitler leaderhead maybe could be portrayed critically enough to be allowed in Germany now (just theoretically, obviously that is no argument to add that because other countries have other laws on this issue and it really wouldn't add much to the game, Germany could rather use a modern LH like Helmut Kohl, Gerhard Schröder or Angela Merkel)
No one in Germany will care about a mod that is not sold, is not even completely translated into German and portraits it as a history or alternate history without any pointless glorification.
Films like Iron Sky ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/ ) have been in normal cinemas in Germany.

I'm just laughing at the idea of C2C getting free publicity as some ultra-controversial Civ IV modification because of the Euros banning it... I know I'd be hella confused if I tried to think of what could make a TBS mod "Too Hot for TV". I'd probably take the opportunity to publically release my music pack then :smoke:.

For crying out loud, why are we continuing to discuss this, which has next to no gameplay benefit, and is wasting large amounts of time? None of this is really relavent to C2C, with a couple exceptions (romani culture). It seems that the goal here is to get as controversial as possible and to offend as many people as possible.

This whole discussion is irrelavent to actually making C2C a fun game to play. I think CiverDan put it best, I have no issue with controversial science (cloning, gene modification, uplifted species), but lets stay away from controversial social issues (ie, let's not add anything more that is sex-related).

@Praetyre: Thanks for going through that whole list, I agree with almost all of your analysis.

Now, lets move on and actually resume developing the mod. :whew:

Ok, I'm genuinely confused by some of these.

I don't feel offended by most of the issues i listed as redlight, I meant some people in the world might get offended. For example i think Anarchism, Medical Marijuana, eugenics, death penalty have their place in C2C.

I actually used this list to research what controversial issues are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_controversial_issues

The main person the approves stuff like this is not me, its Hydromancerx.

Amazon as in South American region or Amazon as in the "Amazons" of Europe?

Whats wrong with Immigration as an issue? I mean we do have an Immigration civic. I think a border fence would be a possible civic building in the future. Likewise illegal smuggling is already in the game under crime related stuff (mostly drug trafficking than human trafficking).

I plan in the future to add them as Romani culture in the future. I see nothing wrong with including them with all the other cultures. In fact I think thy would be offended if they were not included as their own culture.

They are all fine to me, I was just listing controversial issues from wikipedia..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_controversial_issues

@MrAzure,
You asked for my opinion. I'll try to give one but....After reading the list and then Praetyre's responses my head is spinning, and I now have a headache and eye strain. (I do agree with most of P's assessment)

Question: What does all this Do for the enjoyment of the Mod? If we don't figure out how to keep the AI alive past modern Era all this is moot.

This Is a Serious problem the Mod has. For 99% of the players the game is over before Industrial Era is finished. How are we to even get to the TH and Galactic Eras? And if we do, how do these concepts equate to the basis of the CIV game; the 4Xs and Strategy and Tactics.

So my opinion is: It's whimsy and fluff with only a few seeds that could germinate into solid gameplay. Implementation would be tedious and the cry would be "too much stuff!" (which we get even now). So if you can figure out how to get us (the players) to these Eras you will need to seriously "cull the herd" to make TH and Galactic enjoyable. I would prefer that the version of C2C that I might play into these Eras would lead me to levels that Master Of Orion or DuneII gave. What I don't need is little workers out "humping" on a mars hill in my game. :p

JosEPh

@MrAzure,
You asked for my opinion. I'll try to give one but....After reading the list and then Praetyre's responses my head is spinning, and I now have a headache and eye strain. (I do agree with most of P's assessment)

Question: What does all this Do for the enjoyment of the Mod? If we don't figure out how to keep the AI alive past modern Era all this is moot.

This Is a Serious problem the Mod has. For 99% of the players the game is over before Industrial Era is finished. How are we to even get to the TH and Galactic Eras? And if we do, how do these concepts equate to the basis of the CIV game; the 4Xs and Strategy and Tactics.

So my opinion is: It's whimsy and fluff with only a few seeds that could germinate into solid gameplay. Implementation would be tedious and the cry would be "too much stuff!" (which we get even now). So if you can figure out how to get us (the players) to these Eras you will need to seriously "cull the herd" to make TH and Galactic enjoyable. I would prefer that the version of C2C that I might play into these Eras would lead me to levels that Master Of Orion or DuneII gave. What I don't need is little workers out "humping" on a mars hill in my game. :p

JosEPh

I think he is under the assumption players can choose to game start on two main eras, and history oriented players will tend to choose Prehistoric and futurists Trans-human.

Prehistoric (start with Language and Nomadic something)
Transhuman/ digital Era. (all techs up to transhuman are researched).

In his document,( 37 pages), he has a paragraph calling Digital Era, which he calls it prehistoric 2.0.

summary..

Instead of scouts, you start with satellites.
The new "sedentary lifestyle" is Artificial intelligence.
The new "tribalism" is Online community.
Cooperation becomes Planetary Collaboration.
Barbarians become "Hackers, (Cyberwarfare)" and later "Space Pirates (Orbital Structures)".

I looked at his building xml list, and he doesn't have any "sexual" buildings in it yet that I saw.

so he is assuming Digital Era will be one of the two starting points in the game.

Thanks for the info Sarah.

JosEPh

Sexuality is a big big part of human history, and as a female i am kinda offended its barely mentioned in the game at all.
Most C2C modders are male and is therefore naturally afraid of being called out for sexual harassment by the female side of society. lol, seriously though, I don''t know why there is so little sexuality in the modding content made for C2C.

What a bizarre coincidence, I was just reading through this thread as part of a project of mine (ideas for controversial (not just sexual) buildings and wonders, as well as some not-so-controversial ones).

Most C2C modders are male and is therefore naturally afraid of being called out for sexual harassment by the female side of society. lol, seriously though, I don''t know why there is so little sexuality in the modding content made for C2C.
Really? Sexual harassment is a 2-way street. Same a bigotry and racism.

The Mod has done quite well without the added pressures this would bring into it. It's just not needed.

And as for the OP's claim about Christian values running the show, afaik I'm the Only Christian on the Team. The rest are a mix of non religious to areligious to atheist ppl. I think DH once said he is Buddhist. SO is atheist.

But why is this old thread necro'd back to life? This is 5 years old. You don't have enough to do Toffer?

Hah! You have been cyber-stalking me :p

As for controversial content, I think it would be best to keep it off these forums (except for things whose historical merit outweighs their NSFW-ness, like fertility dolls or the Kama Sutra as a wonder, both of which I've plotted out stats for), especially given the extremely controversial (and not just in sexual ways) themes I've been exploring in my plans. I might release the "PG-13" content on the forum, and reserve the rest for a modmod I'll host offsite.

Also, I'm Catholic, with some interest in theology and philosophy, primarily metaphysical, ethical, and political.

Sexual harassment is a 2-way street
Perhaps but you don't see men whining about women's behavior usually. Women can talk about things however they wish, however publicly or privately, and most guys are just intrigued by what they have to say. Same stuff said by a guy would get him fired. There are definitely double standards throughout this realm.

I think to answer to the general question, it's a more squeamish topic because so few people agree on what is and what is not acceptable. Violence just is what it is. Violence. Strategic wargames are not glorifying the violence but the intelligence behind the strategy of competition.

I found it odd that this thread would be started by a female. Usually I find it's the women that feel like these things shouldn't be so openly on display.

There are definitely double standards throughout this realm.
Closely related to this: The L-Shaped Bed Sheets (http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-products-that-only-exist-in-movies/) :confused:

Or a bit more serious: http://screenprism.com/insights/article/screenosophy-are-mpaa-ratings-objective

Strategic wargames are not glorifying the violence but the intelligence behind the strategy of competition.

Agreed. Although I can certainly understand the frustration: Pretty much the entire "beginning-of-life" topic is taboo, but the "end-of-life" topic (if it is related to war or crime) is proudly displayed. Can this be called a "culture of life"?

I thought we had plenty of sex-related and procreation-related stuff. Maybe most of it was added after the original post. Still, can't please everyone I guess.

Laura the OP was only here for 1 day, July 5th 2012. She never returned after that. She was European and a college student. She assumed, because the Modders back then were almost all American, save Dancing Hoskuld, that the mod was too prudish because all Americans are, of course, Christian. Therefore all Modders for C2C were Christian. She did not like Christians, and in particular at that time ls612.

Now can this old dead thread be buried again? :p:rolleyes:

Laura the OP was only here for 1 day, July 5th 2012. She never returned after that. She was European and a college student. She assumed, because the Modders back then were almost all American, save Dancing Hoskuld, that the mod was too prudish because all Americans are, of course, Christian. Therefore all Modders for C2C were Christian. She did not like Christians, and in particular at that time ls612.

Now can this old dead thread be buried again? :p:rolleyes:
This one does have the potential to step on some emotional toes doesn't it?
I thought we had plenty of sex-related and procreation-related stuff. Maybe most of it was added after the original post. Still, can't please everyone I guess.
I think a lot of it was due to this discussion, yes. Then again, some of the central forces in the chat were also connected to one of the most prolific modders we've ever had here.

Laura wasn't the only one to push on this subject once she brought it up.
Agreed. Although I can certainly understand the frustration: Pretty much the entire "beginning-of-life" topic is taboo, but the "end-of-life" topic (if it is related to war or crime) is proudly displayed. Can this be called a "culture of life"?
It's an interesting point that our society is a bit more squeamish about procreation and all the activities surrounding it (which have little to do with procreation aside from it all being rooted in a species-wide imperative to do so) than it is about death and that which causes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom