1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Will there be a second expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by nagano, Apr 9, 2012.

?

Will there be a second full expansion?

1. Yes

485 vote(s)
    77.2%
  2. No

143 vote(s)
    22.8%
  1. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

There wasn't a Zulu Empire,their kingdom was smaller than Belgium and they have very little achievements.
    If they would add another 9 civilizations, this would be my choices:

Tibet (religious, cultural civ with an advantage in mountainous and hilly terrain)

Indonesia (good civ for building large,maritime empires)

The Khmer (cultural civ that is specialized in quickly building large cities)

The Sioux (nomadic civ that has an advantage in plains)

Portugal (gold-focused civ that can quickly discover the world and build colonial empires)

The Afghans (military civ that is specialized in defending and conquering)

Kongo (civ that has a huge advantage in jungles)

Georgia (religious civ that is specialized in faith)

Poland (civ that has always happy cities)

2. danieladler

danieladler Warlord

Things i wanna see in a possible second expansion: regenerate map function, random events, SDI defense, more tweaking possibilities with difficulty settings so that you for example can get the difficulty to be in between existing levels, more than one leader for every civ (i want Stalin for Russia, for example), much greater diplo penalty for using and even having nukes, more social policies, pollution (factories etc actually affects the environment in case you didnt know), some sort of immigration/emigration since our world and our civilizations has always depended much on that, war weariness, etc. And in multiplayer i want TURNBASED option, for Jebus sake! :thumbsup: So, get to work civ-game-making dudes, and i will give you more of my delicious monies!

3. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I think thinking of Civs won't be hard, I just think they'll be saved for DLC

Europe (I don't want them to emphasize Europe, but I'll list them): Portugal, Poland
    Africa: Kongo, Zulu, Moors
    Asia: Indonesia, Sumer, Hatti, Assyria, Israel
    Americas: Pueblos, Mississippians, Brazil, Cherokee, Sioux, Haida

Of these, I can certainly think of unique gameplay for Zulu, Kongo, Moors, and Israel. Probably quite a few others as well, I just don't know enough about them.

I do think the Hittites and Portuguese will suffer from too much sameness. Possibly the same with Sumeria.

4. animalguy

animalguy Ermahgerd

Dont forget Australia!

5. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

Such things should only be available after genetics, and there should be a UN resolution to outlaw such bioterrorism. Rudimentary versions of it, however, should be available early, but you shouldn't be able to decide what each disease does.

6. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

As long as we're thinking CiV in the sky, I would be intrigued by a system that reset some combination of your CiVs UA/UB/UU based on how you'd played.

So get to the space age, reach space with settlers, but some elements of your Civ now reflect your playstlye.

***On second read your still earth based. I was thinking your were looking at it as a continuation of the space victory.

7. CanaDutch

CanaDutch Chieftain

I'd love for a second 'Expand & Grow' expansion to focus on capturing the significance and feel of the colonization period right after the focus on religion (think mostly initial benefits but then it becoming increasingly hard to prevent colonies from successfully declaring Independence). Might also be cool if the new world is inhabited by technologically backward civs for you to conquer and convert:D. And how cool would it be if it's normal for new civs like the United States and Canada to come into existence in the middle of the game due to colonies declaring Independence.

Then in the modern age solid corporation mechanics can give new life to the endgame by it being an important factor to having the economy to win whatever victory you're aiming for:D.

The start of the game and the colonization period would be times of expansion, where as religion and corporations boost growth.

Further improved AI and diplomacy would be awesome too of course! What do you guys think?

8. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

Sounds good to me.

9. The Little One

The Little One Warlord

10. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Yes to colonies and revolutions.

Corporations I'm happy enough with how they're represented in the game today. Stock markets, markets, banks, all of these mean more money for my empire.

11. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'm pretty confident that there will come a second expansion. The game seriously lacks late-game content, so there's a huge gap there to be filled. I hope for corporations to reappear but fleshed out similar to how religion has been compared to the CIV version. I would also love to have a complete rework of the espionage system, but I have less hopes for that, so unless someone creates an extensive mod on that area, I think that'll just be a miss for me in this game chapter.

12. EndoConvert

EndoConvert Warlord

Earlier Civ games had multiple expansions. Is there any reason why Civ5 would be different?

13. _hero_

_hero_ King

There will be another expansion because, as this thread has illustrated, many people would be interested in such a thing. The is a gaming company. They want to make money and sell us stuff.

This reminds me an awful lot of the threads in vanilla where so many people insisted adamantly that there would be no expansions because everything was DLC from now on.

If there's not another expansion than it means either they don't believe many people will buy it (doubtful) or they think they'd be better served making Civilization 6 sooner rather than later (slightly less doubtful).

14. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

You say no to the Zulu and yes to the Sioux?

Their significance was largely the same in history. Both were small (dare i say tribal?) societies that proved to be a thorn in the side of major western powers.

There are far more state or empire like native american civs out there that are far more deserving of a place than the Sioux (if we operate on the supposition the zulu are also undeserving of a place).

On another note, i've heard a lot of people saying there won't be another expansion because they'll be saving stuff for civ 6.

I think civ 6 is exactly the reason there should be another expansion. They've already achieved a brilliantly popular game in Civ 5, so they could use a second expansion to trial new kinda off the wall stuff they're toying with introducing in civ 6 with a lesser extent of damage to their sales. A sort of extended market research project.

15. tuckerkao

tuckerkao King

If firaxis/2k can bring back all the features in "Civ 4 Beyond the Sword" to the 2nd Civ 5 expansion pack, that will be nice, at least all the civilizations, cooperations, wonders, buildings and resources, perhaps expand the future era (there are already lots of excellent Civ 4 custom modpacks with creative ideas for enhancements).

I hope they choose this title - "Beyond the Future".

I do miss the rice and corn farms as well as the pig pastures.

16. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Here is a poll of the new civs: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=460009&page=4

The most popular choices (ordered by category):
    Europe: Portugal, Poland, Hungary
    Africa: Zulu, Kongo, Morocco (Moors, Almohads, Almoravids), Zimbabwe, Mali, Nubia, Swahili
    Middle-East: Sumer, Hittite, Assyria, Phoenicia, Hebrews/Israel, Armenia
    Asia: Indonesia (Majapahit, Srivijaya), Tibet, Khmer, Vietnam, Khazars
    America: Brazil, Sioux, Apache, Cherokee, Mississippians

17. DavisonACT

DavisonACT Chieftain

I like the sound of a lot of these.

For me - new Civs are not such a great attraction - though some more of those would no doubt help the xpac sell even more.

18. ork75

ork75 Prince

Biowarfare.....

Fun and anonymous (mostly). Could definitely be cool - a doulbe edged sword, perhaps combined with spies?

19. fatboris

fatboris Chieftain

If we're going for wish list of stuff that'll never happen, how about some kind of mid-game Republic/Civ spawn. Barb camp spawns early game are cool in that you can be defending against 2 civs or going to conquer another and now you have barbs on another front that you have to divert forces for. You have to change up strategy.

What if, say beginning at Ren era, after the barb camps have become a non-factor some of the CS cultures begin working together without your knowledge. If you have 2-3 CS's together, behind the scenes another Civ leader spawns and the cities begin coordinating behind the scenes, plotting, building units, leveraging resource strengths, then an announcement is made, animation screen pops up announcing the City states of Singapore, Rio De Janiero, and Edinburgh have formed a republic. Next turn the leader animation pops up and you learn who'll be the head of the new Civ. The early game CS biases would carry over. If all CS's were cool with you, Friendly. If you stole workers from all of them early game, Hostile. I don't know how it would play out Dom VC, I would think that their capital wouldn't count towards VC?

20. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Therein lies the problem as said features should have already been in this game in the first place.