Willem V Oranje (EC) - A domination / conquest goal!!!

@Soirana

Spoiler :

Have you played the map yet? Those nice plans sometimes have a way of not working out...which seems to be the trend so far...

But maybe you mean this in regards to the cookbook format, in which case it's much more likely to get a save that nabs the GLH, then I definitely agree. Easy solution is not to vote for a save with the GLH then :)

I took look at WB. I see zero reason why i could not make that plan work. Well, again i am judging from mine limited experience.

Shadow -> 1500BC

Played for fun mostly.

Spoiler :

Settled 1S, 2x wb then a worker that I whipped . He went to improve the silver right away.
(Mining->BW->Masonry->Sailing->TW->Meditation->Polytheism[for wonders, rather than Mediation]->Priesthood->Pottery->start Writing).
Made a settler at size 4 for the fish/copper site. wb came from whip overflow in Amsterdam.

4 workers whipped went chopping to make the game easy:

I had to set cities on max commerce to finish Pottery on time.

GLH is close to halfway point and an Axe can be whipped into it from size 4. Only 2 forests left for chopping but since the AI delayed it, it has to be finished ASAP or lose it, as some have experienced. In my test games, I've seen it go at 1925BC... it really is the RNG that decides if it is gotten or not.

Scouting isn't fantastic but making the map needs I didn't really need to. Building a galley for exploration/transport.

From here, build The Colossus, TGL, Parthenon and then the rest is all war.

@kossin
Spoiler :

i can post some funny result but skip the aesthetics (but not the lighthouse) and go for the throat. i.e. settle on the good land of the north neighbor.
also i dont think the silver worth the crappy capital.

@kossin
Spoiler :

i can post some funny result but skip the aesthetics (but not the lighthouse) and go for the throat. i.e. settle on the good land of the north neighbor.
also i dont think the silver worth the crappy capital.

Spoiler :
The last modification was add a tile so network would be available upon second border pop, or first if you settle to avoid the copper. Maybe I should have left it the way it was before, making it harder to get over there.

Getting 2 tundra tiles and 1 tundra marble+silver isn't exactly bad imo. It gives a nice boost early game and the land around the initial cap isn't great in any case.

@kossin
Spoiler :
Tried a very similar approach to you for my first emperor attempt – but failed miserably :cry:, so won’t be posting. The only major difference was going for an extra settler for the wine / fish site rather than the extra workers (although I'm beginning to see why your extra workers made more sense since the wine isn't available until monarchy unless it is mined). Unfortunately, the GLH went in 1875BC, The Oracle in 1675BC and so I tried - but failed - to get either. Sadly, I’m left with the impression that your quote here:

it really is the RNG that decides if it is gotten or not

is in fact the most insightful comment on the thread. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to buy a fresh bunch of grapes to replace my ones which have obviously gone sour. :lol:

@Soirana
Spoiler :

In my run through the GLH was built at 2150BC, though that seems to be the earliest so far.

@kossin
Spoiler :

Seems youre having better luck with wonders, Oracle was taken at 1550BC in my game. Hypothetically, if you had lost the Oracle as many did/will, how would you have altered the game plan? After seeing the GLH built in 2150BC and Ram nearby I decided to skip all wonders until GLib/Parth...

@kossin
Spoiler :

Seems youre having better luck with wonders, Oracle was taken at 1550BC in my game. Hypothetically, if you had lost the Oracle as many did/will, how would you have altered the game plan? After seeing the GLH built in 2150BC and Ram nearby I decided to skip all wonders until GLib/Parth...

Spoiler :
Going after early wonders is always a gamble. The only way you can alter the plan is if the wonder's gone before you finish researching the required tech. Otherwise, use the failure gold as you see fit.
TGL+Parth look like an option, for either Lib or Astro. There is a good deal of room even though the cities might not be as good without Colossus/GLH.

In case you're wondering, I did test the game without wonders (built 0). It's a bit harder but it's still pretty doable.

@Soirana
Spoiler :

In my run through the GLH was built at 2150BC, though that seems to be the earliest so far.

@kossin
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

It is even better if Ramses builds GLH:lol:. Works just as fine if captured...

Spoiler :

It is even better if Ramses builds GLH:lol:. Works just as fine if captured...

Spoiler :
Completely agree and was my first thought as well...but alas Ram is being uncooperative and went SH/Judaism instead :gripe:

Just moving up to emperor in my own games (thanks to reading on this site) so thought I'd try out one of these cookbook games.

Spoiler :

Felt really uncertain how to proceed on this map. Not a fan of so much tundra. Settled in place while starting a work boat and teching mining->bw. Didn't use my slavery very well right away to get the workers and 2nd city out faster.

Settled utrecht just sw of the river mouth by the copper but in hindsight maybe should have gone 1w of the spot I picked to give more room to the city on the end of that peninsula.

My goal was to get the glh but I still need 10 turns in 1500 bc. Did at least get 2 axes ready and waiting for barbs to come out of the long stretch of land to the SE.

Attachments

• EC2 Round 1 thwump BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    121.2 KB · Views: 96
Spoiler :
Well, that wasn't exactly spectacular. No screenshots because I'm pretty positive my round isn't anywhere close to the best. I attached the save though and now I'm off to look at what everyone else did.

Attachments

• WFU03-WvO Cookbook BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    120.8 KB · Views: 119
Is this open to anyone? I play/lose alot @ emperor (with a handful of wins) and I would like to give it a go.

figured I'd give it a go, results below

Spoiler :

Settled in place as I passionately hate tundra and the thought of adding 4 tiles to my capital was too much, not sure whether the right mentality. Started teching Mining-BW, build queue went WB-worker-WB-worker-warrior-settler. By this time, realized I was in isolation on a water heavy map so decided I'd beeline for GLH and then maybe go for oracle as well after that.

Settled Utrecht for copper and will start building axemen and fogbusters and focus on expanding. Got GLH by 1625 BC, then some distant land got oracle in 1525 :mad::mad:

Planning to go writing/OB, maybe go for Great library is possible, then direct techs towards astronomy so I can start cracking some heads and making contact (Unless lots of civs on Egypts continent)

Should be pretty easy to expand on the continent but, like everybody else, teching in isolation and hoping nobody is in a tech sharing lovefest somewhere else.

Attachments

• WvO Cookbook JayboneBC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    123.8 KB · Views: 124
Is this open to anyone? I play/lose alot @ emperor (with a handful of wins) and I would like to give it a go.

I think you sound like exactly the audience the cookbook is aimed at. The idea is to make the step up to emperor in a fun and social way. Learning how you can improve your game from how others play the same situation.

Hoping to shadow this one before the weekend but I seem to be very busy lately.

There are an awful lot of entries this go round. If you guys give me some criteria (science rate, # of cities, wonders built, # of workers) I'll put together a little chart/spreadsheet of all the games to make comparisons easier (hopefully).

here is mine.....

Spoiler :
Move warrior saw the marble decided to mover 1s to get silver and marble in bfc. There was enough plains forest for health. One of the big factors to me was the +happiness from the silver. Figured with all the water I would make a run at the GLH. Second city put to get the fish and copper. Third to get fish and lots of grassland. I went here next b/c it was close to the Egyptians so it was the only city spot I felt might be in danger of being settled by another civ. Second settler was just whipped a few turns ago and started on GLH. Once I teched writing and masonry It did not seem like anything else was pressing so I started to tech towards MC to at least leave the option open to make a run at the colossus being Fin and having all this water I think it would be worth it, plus MC is needed and important anyway forges +1 and it will be nice to have trit. to protect our many fisheries. I was somewhat hamstrung by my original warrior becoming lion food like less than ten turns in....:cry:. Big problems I got are only two workers :rolleyes: and I’m gambling big with my current non-existant military; however this high priority right now second to only finishing the GLH. Other issues going forward where will my GPF be? Where will military city be? yadayadayada.

tech path: mining->bw->sailing->wheel->pottery->writing->masonry->MC

Build order: work boat-> warrior ->worker->warrior->settler->worker->lighthouse->settler->GLH in progress (note warrior as second build due to the first one getting wtfpwndbbq)

So there it is, sorry I’m long winded just trying to put down what I was thinking. So you can tell me where it is wrong.

Attachments

• WvO Cookbook BC-1500 LeSinge.CivBeyondSwordSave
    122.8 KB · Views: 156
There are an awful lot of entries this go round. If you guys give me some criteria (science rate, # of cities, wonders built, # of workers) I'll put together a little chart/spreadsheet of all the games to make comparisons easier (hopefully).
Spoiler :
I think there should be a notation for games in which the glh is still alive, and one for those in which Ramses built it, as opposed to those where it was built in an unknown land. From what I've seen of this map, it's going to be a part of the decision making calculus. Science rate should include both bpt and slider rate, along with any deficit. There should also be a grid for which techs have been researched and how much is done on the current one.

I started winning at Prince fairly consistently a while back, Emperor is out of my reach at the moment but I thought I could get some advice what I'm doing wrong. :)

Spoiler :

I moved my warrior south, saw the marble and decided to settle one south.

Build order in Amsterdam was WB -> Worker -> Warrior ->Settler -> WB -> Warrior -> Warrior -> Settler -> Axeman

Build order in Utrecht was WB -> Settler -> Warrior

Build order in Den Haag was WB

Science was: Mining -> Masonry -> BW -> Wheel -> Sailing -> Pottery -> Writing -> AH (researching at the moment)

I have three nice cities, one settler. No infrastructure and not enough workers. Have to do something to change that. :)

GLH, Stonehenge and the Great Wall have all been build, all in a far away land. But I don't know Ramses two cities so he might have them. Took him forever to build that second town.

I'll upload my stats in a bit. Any idea why my picture gives me an error message?

Top Bottom