Won my second Deity game, here's tips.

You could also try egypt if you want stonehenge. Their UB is pretty awesome, so they're useful for reasons other than wonders.

There's no real strategy with something that happens at turn 25-30. It's a tech sprint to Pottery and Calendar and hoping you've got enough hammers to finish before AI.

And that's the point. If it's something AI can do, then it's a valid strategy. If the AI cannot reload the game to redo something, then you shouldn't either.

And that's the point. If it's something AI can do, then it's a valid strategy. If the AI cannot reload the game to redo something, then you shouldn't either.

You got any more rules that we have to follow for wins to count in your eyes?

You got any more rules that we have to follow for wins to count in your eyes?

You can be that way if you want. He is correct. This is the strategy forum. I played alot of "series" games for civ 4(in the forums). Deity Doctorate, Kossin's deity matches, immortal U, Emperor cookbook or whatever, the list goes on.

You know whats not in those games? Reload until the AI submits to your will or Reload if the AI doesn't behave in a manner that suits you.

It's about winning an unpredictable game. Your ability to adapt your strategy is just as important as having one in the first place. Resetting/Reloading just does not belong here.

It's about winning an unpredictable game. Your ability to adapt your strategy is just as important as having one in the first place. Resetting/Reloading just does not belong here.

It does while the game is new (as it is) and we're still testing and learning.

If I want to follow through on an idea, damn right I'll reload until I get the conditions I want.

Again, this thread contributed NOTHING to the strategy of the game style presented (deity-quick-small map). Instead, it's mostly flaming from the righteous.

Now, will someone please try a game like this and report back with some real findings so we can finally get somewhere? :)

I can vouch that these conditions make for a very exciting game, so you won't be bored like I was on Marathon. :)

It does while the game is new (as it is) and we're still testing and learning.

If I want to follow through on an idea, damn right I'll reload until I get the conditions I want.

Again, this thread contributed NOTHING to the strategy of the game style presented (deity-quick-small map). Instead, it's mostly flaming from the righteous.

Now, will someone please try a game like this and report back with some real findings so we can finally get somewhere? :)

I can vouch that these conditions make for a very exciting game, so you won't be bored like I was on Marathon. :)

Ok ill get right on it. I'll just reload until I get the "real findings" you are looking for. What findings am I looking for again? I know I cant find average AI completion dates/game evolution for Stonehenge- since I will just restart if I don't get it.

If you don't get it- That's ok. I'm done posting on this anyways before it gets flamy:goodjob:

Oh, I get it.

Instead of challenging my intellect, you could give this game a chance (deity, quick, small). Win it, come back and offer us tips. Don't reload if it violates your standards.

So to sum up flames in this thread:

It's perfectly ok to abuse ******ed AI in combat but it's cheating if you abuse ******ed AI in trade/diplomacy.

It's lame to play small maps but it's ok to play with marathon speed since that doesnt give any advantage to human player at all.

At no circumstances are you allowed to restart the game, instead you have to continue to the bitter end since it's not fair for the AI and you might hurt their feelings.

It is not valid strategy if AI cant do it, human player is allowed to pick their leader since AI can pick their leader too.

It's not ok to post tips for deity until you have essentially a guide that will work every. single. time. and even a ape can copy it. If you have tips the politically correct way is to replace deity with difficulty level that specific tactic will work every. single. time.

erm did I miss something else? Would call dips on double standards but I'm too confused at the moment to do that. Some people seems to be rather narrow
minded on these forums, and that's really sad.

You forgot something Gatheras:

Restarting on a new map is only a step away from playing in worldbuilder and giving yourself a GDR when your neighbor storms you with more units than you can handle.

(c) Godclone, page 2

Oh, I get it.

Instead of challenging my intellect, you could give this game a chance (deity, quick, small). Win it, come back and offer us tips. Don't reload if it violates your standards.

While I disagree with the tone of some of the posts sent your way, I do tend to agree with the other posters.

The point is having a strategy that you can adapt, considering adaptation is the key to success at the higher levels. Seeing as how everytime you miss Stonehenge, you reload - you miss out on what could be an interesting part of a *strategy* which is what the strategy/tips forum is for.

Like, one question one may ask - if you miss Stonehenge, how should you try to make up for getting beat to this wonder in order to salvage your "plan."

While I won't get all snippy as some have done, I will just say simply - nothing is a "strategy" that you have to consistently game starts to use. Sure, you won a game with it, but in the eyes of 99% of us, you've won nothing. You restarted until you made absolutely sure you had a crucial early game wonder. This is not impressive, and honestly - I don't feel you should say you "won a game on Deity."

The only "restarting/reloading" that was allowed in the Civ4 Hall of Fame on this site was that you were allowed to use MapFinder to get a decent starting position, but you could not submit it if you had any knowledge of the map past the initial starting position. Reloading is absolutely never allowed. I'm not entirely sure that is what you are doing, and honestly it may be why you are drawing the ire of these other posters. If you are just playing individual starts, not getting Stonehenge and LOADING A NEW MAP, I see no problem with this. You have no knowledge of the map at that point, it's a whole new ballgame.

Myself, I rarely used MapFinder. I like to build out of all different starting positions and just PLAY the game. If I lose, I lose. If I miss that "crucial" wonder, what can I maybe use that gold on to pursue a new strategy? THAT is what people want to see in a strategy post, especially about the highest difficulty level.

There is nothing "strategic" about starting maps and playing until you FINALLY get Stonehenge. You are making absolutely sure that you get what really amounts to probably the MOST crucial early game Wonder, so if you are going to do that, you really aren't ready for Deity.

At the same time, it's your game and I could give a blue frick how you play it. You paid for it. All I am saying is that if you intend to post "Deity level strategy" posts, expect a backlash when you are really gaming the system to give yourself an advantage, which is not the point of playing Deity at all.

Have fun, though.

All I am saying is that if you intend to post "Deity level strategy" posts, expect a backlash when you are really gaming the system to give yourself an advantage, which is not the point of playing Deity at all.

Have fun, though.

Winning at Deity level in Civ has always been about gaming the system. The AI has enough advantages that they could win 100% of the time if they just declared war on you when they first encountered you. Period.

Unlike the arrogant purists here, the OP has actually come up with something interesting that I can test, and he's made it very clear that he's willing to listen to alternatives. None of those blowing smoke have given any evidence that they have an alternative strategy that works - heck, I can't even see evidence that the critics have even won a high difficulty game.

That's nonsense. A deity level strategy implies that one actually has a legitimate strategy for winning on deity. The poster has done nothing of the sort, and caps it with a bizarre penchant for defending really poor decisionmaking and overall gameplaying.

For instance, Martin Alito has given ample evidence of how to ACTUALLY win on Deity (on any speed from marathon to normal), on larger maps (standard and bigger), using a strategy that is NOT reload/map dependent. And he has screenshots in deity to prove it.

Further, many posters responding have given clear and concrete steps to give you better ways of beating Deity. The principle reason that people consider trade/diplomacy abuse to be REALLY abusive, is because in EVERY civ, humans are expected to dominate in military combat. No computer, no ai, will ever beat a human 1-1. However, the trade/diplomacy issues are just bugs, and will be patched shortly.

Finally, I want to note that most of the advice the poster gives is really bad advice. Wonder spamming on Deity is really not advisable, and slow moving archery units won't stand up to fast teching ub3r computers later on. The best way to beat a computer on deity is either to slingshot to a superunit fast, OR to break a couple computers early to get even (or close to it) via score parity, and then to wage war normally. Both are valid options (the latter is easier than the former, in my experience), and both will beat Deity with some regularity. The strategy the OP laid out here... will lose 95% of the time, so that's not particularly useful to a new user.

While I won't get all snippy as some have done, I will just say simply - nothing is a "strategy" that you have to consistently game starts to use. Sure, you won a game with it, but in the eyes of 99% of us, you've won nothing. You restarted until you made absolutely sure you had a crucial early game wonder. This is not impressive, and honestly - I don't feel you should say you "won a game on Deity."

Arguments about strategy being the ability to be adaptive have nothing to do with employing a particular strategy at a particular time. xcaine won a game on Deity, fair and square, employing his strategy. That's better than 99% of CFC members can do. He also lost a bunch of games trying the same strategy, and quitting when he viewed the situation as hopeless. That means his strategy isn't odds-on. It could mean that there are better ones. It doesn't mean it's not a "strategy," or that he cheated in the game where he won. It only means he quit other games before you would have.

By the way, saying " in the eyes of 99% of us" is usually a cheap shot indicative of sloppy reasoning to follow.

Anyone have advice on how to win on Duel-sized (but with 8 civilizations) Panagea on Quick Deity?

:D

There's no real strategy with something that happens at turn 25-30. It's a tech sprint to Pottery and Calendar and hoping you've got enough hammers to finish before AI.

Yup. I have to conclude that relying on Stonehenge cannot make for a good strategy. You cannot guarantee stonehenge, you merely have to get lucky.

I say this because I recently started a culture game, got an amazing start location, beelined calendar then mining immediately after, built a worker and stole a worker and was running double chops, and was still beat to stonehenge by a large margin. It wasn't even close. I got essentially a perfect stonehenge start (short of popping calendar from a hut) and still lost the race.

I think that with proper strategizing, 30-50% of the forum members here can win on Deity in Civ V. Anyone who can win on Emperor or higher in Civ IV, can definitely win Deity in Civ V.

Regarding the question about the map:

1. Why are you crowding a duel map with 8 civilizations?
2. If you plan on doing a duel map, I'd recommend a slower speed if possible, so you don't get bum rushed.
3. If this isn't possible, I'd recommend sending your initial warrior to steal (multiple) workers from computers, timing your steals and positioning carefully, while massing scouts and warriors. Either way, Greeks are clearly the best here. Build nothing but scouts and warriors from your capital (mainly scouts for bows early).
4. I'd tech quickly first to archery to upgrade scouts to archers, and bronze to upgrade warriors to hoplites.
4(a). Alternatively, you can gamble that there's a horse near you, and tech to companions
5. You'll NEED to abuse the diplomacy here, scout ALL 7 other computers, and once you have the tech you want to war with (either bronze or riding), extort and declare, so you can rush buy the companions or hoplites you need.
6. Start cutting through the computers. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. Do not lose units as you cut through.
7. Since you're playing on a duel map, you won't run into the problem of later computers getting really high tier units to beat you, so you *should* be fine.

Let me know if this doesn't work; you have weird map settings so you probably need a custom strategy.

It was somewhat a tongue-in-cheek post; trying to come up with the absolute hardest map size/speed difficulty settings.

It's not as hard as you might think; putting the map size as huge on quick is MUCH harder.

The thing is on a duel map, once you start rolling, the computers further away won't have the time or ability to get more recent units to stop you, so they'll die just the same. Further, since you can contact all computers early, you can do a 'worldwide' war declaration at the beginning, to extort the necessary funds to rushbuy your initial army. Finally, the duel size allows you to do a VERY early worker steal, possibly 2 workers (or 1 worker 1 settler) which also saves you a lot of time.

So the Duel map size helps you out a lot here. Obviously the 8 AI is very annoying, and quick hurts considerably as well.

Ah, so Deity Pangaea Quick Huge with the maximum number of civilizations would be the "hardest" setup?

e: Looks like you can have 22 civs on Huge, and up to 28 city-states, though I think for the biggest challenge you'd turn off City-States entirely.

Continents seems like it'd easier than Pangaea because the sea provides a buffer against other AIs, because they won't navally invade you, effectively making you safe once you take your continent.

No, Huge, Deity, Quick and *probably* continents is the hardest, although I guess an island map could be harder, but the computer is really stupid on the seas.

Top Bottom