worker jobs

civverguy

Emperor
Have you used the worker to build any of the worker structures e.g. outposts and radar towers. I only use the workers to build fortresses and barricades on chokepoints and airfields to airlift units from another continent. Does anybody use the worker to build any other structures? If so, tell me a good strategy for them.

Very occasionally I'll build a fortress, airfield or outpost, if I can spare the workforce.

I really dont' understand why you would build an outpost - I suppose to cut down on unit costs?

I've never build a radar tower, but I might in an AW high level game.

I have used to them for colonies, of course, and airfields. Colonies are well despised by people, but I find them very useful in some circumstances, like when there is a resource I need in the mountains and I need it *now*

An airport costs 200 shields, 2 gpt upkeep, and it pollutes!
An airfield costs 10 food and 10 shields (worker) doesn't pollute. Nuff said!

I agree with AutomatedTeller on the colonies, though situations where I end up using them are still extremely rare.

If you build an outpost on top of a mountain next to your enemy border you have a 3 tile lookout into your enemy land. I agree it is not that useful, but if you are done roading everything and have some surplus workers, it doesn't hurt to use one or two for an outpost.

A fortress, when I'm in a builders mood, they are completely worthless in aggressive war fair, as your borders should be moving rapidly. They also only work for defensive units, and we already know about defensive units...
I read stories of them being used in always-war games. I can see them being useful there, as you'll face loads of enemies in such games.

Also, what do radar towers do? The civilopedia says that it gives combat bonuses but in what range and how much and do you get an increased bonus if you have more than one radar tower in range?

An airport costs 200 shields, 2 gpt upkeep, and it pollutes!
An airfield costs 10 food and 10 shields (worker) doesn't pollute. Nuff said!
It costs 160 shields.

Does an airfield work as a trade connection? And it will probably not procuce much veteran units.

But still, 10 food and 10 shields is unbeatable.

It does, which makes it worth the 2 Gpt to get the Luxuries to where they need to be. Also Radar towers give a 25% bonus to friendly units in a 2-square radius, I think. Like Fortresses and Barricades, they're mainly defensive and rarely used.

As for Outposts, I once plopped one down on a lone mountain island-tile near the enemy's main sea route and had foreknowledge of most of their naval movements until about the 1600s (Cultural explansion. Thanks Babylon).

It costs 160 shields.
Thanks for the correction.

Does an airfield work as a trade connection? And it will probably not procuce much veteran units.

It doesn't produce vet air units, but I rarely need air units anyway. You could build an airport in some cities, the ones that you set up as air-unit pumps. (just like what you did to produce vet units in the ancient age)

But for the purpose of airlifting units to other continents (for witch you need a lot of airports/-fields) An airfield is hard to beat.

All that for just a worker! Too cheap I think. Is the AI using airfields, or does it suck at this too?

(But, only airports offer tax-free!)

All that for just a worker! Too cheap I think. Is the AI using airfields, or does it suck at this too?

(But, only airports offer tax-free!)
Nope I've never seen them build one but they'll putting units on them if you're not using them. They love building radar towers on significant resources though.

AFAIR airfields allow to air-lift workers which is not allowed by airports (why?). that's pretty useful.
during war some airfields on my mother continent work wonders in transporting troops to the battlefield on the other side of the world.

Anyone can keep the airfield if it's empty. The problem is the AI doesn't use them for bombers.

Ah, colonies. Yes, I build colonies if the resource won't be within reach of a city in a reasonable stretch of time.

Ah, colonies. Yes, I build colonies if the resource won't be within reach of a city in a reasonable stretch of time.

I'm never building a colony again after what happened once to me. I know this isn't rare and the A.I does this alot but I was really angry when the A.I built a city next to my only source of coal (On a colony) and then they got it :mad:.

I want to read about terrain improvements, like radar etc. I didn't find any such articles in the war academy.

What terrain improvement is radar? I have never heard of such an improvement.
Well, actuall I don't know...
I believe that's the same as an outpost. Radar outpost?

That's not actually my point, I want an article about any terrain improvements. Forts, airfields, the whole lot. Bear with me if I mention something not in this game, I might confuse it with other similar Civ games. :scan:

Well, actuall I don't know...
I believe that's the same as an outpost. Radar outpost?

That's not actually my point, I want an article about any terrain improvements. Forts, airfields, the whole lot. Bear with me if I mention something not in this game, I might confuse it with other similar Civ games. :scan:

I saw something about improvements the other day, I'll see if i can find it.

Top Bottom