• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

World Peace and Other 4th Grade Achievements

Mayor of H-Marker Lake
Just saw a short presentation by John Hunter on Book TV the other day. He talked about his book "World Peace and other Fourth Grade Achievements." Supposedly he created a huge world politics simulator in which his 4th grade students solve every problem facing the world today. Sounds pretty awesome obviously, but mostly I want to play the game.

I run a strategy game club after school for 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th graders. I have tried a number of different games but mostly we play Chess. Nothing wrong with that and they really do seem to like it a great deal which has really surprised me. I have introduced them to Civ through the faster paced Defense Scenario but don't know where to go from there.

I would love to play this guy's World Peace Game but details are hard to find. I have ordered the book but don't got it yet. Does anyone know anything about this guy's creation or how it is implemented in the classroom?

perhaps the rules are in the book?

From that trailer it seems like it is really turning those kids into cynics/realists of sorts or at least sort of alerting them to the world's problems and giving them realistic solutions to those problems.

Is of interesting.

EDIT: Got to the end. Hippies just a little bit too. What can you do. They are 4th graders after all b:

Thanks for the video Borachio. He does mention that he is teaching a gifted 4th grade class. That makes his remarkable results a little more understandable, but still the game looks so fun! Hopefully the book has some technical details an not just a bunch of stories about how brilliant his genius students are.

Did find a little info on his website. The game involves "well over 50 interlocking problems" is played with 25-35 students and takes 6-12 weeks to play. He says set up takes almost 6 hours and that he spends at least 3 hours explaining the rules to the students, who are gifted BTW.

Part of the reason he is mum may be that he is considering ideas about how to make the game commercially viable. I say get Sid Meier in on it.

Perhaps I'm out of the loop, but I had not seen Chris Farina's documentary about John Hunter's "World Peace Game" nor had I heard any other media accounts of it. I've become passionate about education lately, especially progressive, so this book just seemed like an appealing antidote to the waves of standardized testing and test prep that have flooded our nation's K-12 schools.

I spent the majority of the book alternating between "Wow" and "No way". The scope and scale of this classroom project - both in terms of the time and effort it must have taken to create it and to continue to utilize and update it and in terms of the expectations for the children playing it - are just mind-boggling. Yet not only do fourth graders apparently take on the challenge, according to Mr. Hunter, they unfailingly rise to the challenge and achieve world peace. Each and every time.

Hunter himself is a force to be reckoned with. Beginning his days in rural, segregated Virginia, Hunter went on to become something of a "citizen of the world" in his words, traveling and studying in India and East Asia before coming "home" to the American black community where he's taught for nearly 35 years, mostly fourth grade in a gifted program.

The Game started as a fairly simple interactive game focusing on Africa, but then developed into its full-blown form in a sort of vision that kept Hunter up furiously writing all night. In its more-or-less final form, the Game consists of four nations controlling various wealth, power and resources, each led by a prime minister who selects a cabinet with a minister of defense, a secretary of state and a minister of finance. There are also tribal minorities, arms dealers, a United Nations, a World Bank, a weather god(dess) and a saboteur just to make things more challenging. All lead positions are appointed by Hunter, but each leader gets to pick his or her staff.

The Game begins with fifty (50!) interlocking complex crises including such things as weapons proliferations, invasions, war, religious and minority strife, nuclear problems, border disputes, water and mining rights disputes, broken treaties, endangered species, fuel shortages, pollution and global warming, just to name a few. All crises interlock such that if one element change, it effects everything else. The students are charged with not only overcoming all of these crises and achieving world peace, but also with increasing the resources of all the countries and minority groups in the Game. The Game can only be won collectively by meeting those conditions.

Beyond the important lessons of diplomacy and global consciousness, Hunter also uses the Game to teach greater life lessons based largely on his studies of Eastern religion and philosophy, especially the writings of Chinese general Sun Tzu. In the usual frantic pace of daily life, most of us find our lives "full" - every minute accounted for with "productive" activity. Hunter believes that this constant activity shuts us out from the "empty space" which is a necessary part of the creative process. The Game is designed to intentionally overload and confuse students to the point that they simply cannot deal with it all using the normal strategies they have developed. Students are forced to take a step back and re-evaluate problems from an entirely new angle. Hunter's role as teacher and facilitator is to support the empty space that allows for that shift in understanding.

In fact, Hunter has developed seven stages which he believes every Game flows through: overload and confusion, failure, personal understanding, collaboration, "Click", flow, and application of understanding. Each stage, even - especially - the most frustrating and despairing - is necessary to confront the seemingly insurmountable obstacles and achieve the final resolution. Students cannot solve all the problems thinking in old familiar patterns, nor can individuals solve all the problems alone. Hunter illustrates each stage with many examples from three decades of playing the Game, as students seem to take all the wrong, misguided and selfish paths, only to find that the "collective wisdom" of the group wins out in the end.

As note, I read this book with a mixture of amazement and skepticism. Hunter clearly cannot describe the Game in infinite detail nor cover every single playing of the Game; his presentation is necessarily cherry-picked to showcase what Hunter wanted to highlight. We really don't get a sense of the specifics of how the Game is played - how the crises come up, how they are negotiated and "solved", what counts as being "solved" etc. I don't know how much the documentary covers, but if any other teacher is planning to play this Game with his/her students, s/he will need more than just this book to manage that.

When I was in seventh grade, our social studies teachers arranged a similar, although simpler game, in which we represented different imaginary countries which were supposed to negotiate with each other and/or attack to increase their power. It was an utter failure. None of us knew what we were supposed to be doing and the one country foolish enough to invade another country provided a lesson for the rest of us not to make that mistake, so we sat around waiting for someone to do something. Mercifully, they ended our game after only two agonizing days. Now, perhaps my teachers were simply not good facilitators or perhaps we were not adequately prepared or our game was not well designed (or some combination of all of those), but I have a hard time imagining fourth graders - even gifted ones - doing what we couldn't do as seventh graders. I guess I will have to watch the documentary.

One of the most astounding things is that the entire Game takes only about seven to ten hours to play. Most sessions Hunter has facilitated have been played for roughly one hour a day, one or two days per week for ten or fewer weeks. Fourth graders can achieve world peace in a matter of hours, but adults have been messing it up for thousands of years?

Despite - or perhaps because of - my doubts, I would really like the chance to play the World Peace Game myself, or for my daughters to get the chance when they are older. I hope awareness of this Game allows for its expansion into the standardized test-stultified world of K-12 education. At the same time, however, what makes the Game work for Hunter is John Hunter himself. The Game is dependent on an understanding of relationships, personalities and group dynamics, both in general and specific to the particular group, that only a skilled facilitator can provide. I'd hate to see a Milton Bradley packaged and standardized version of this game mass produced and played mindlessly by uncomprehending teachers and students.

On a personal level, this book challenged and expanded my thinking and understanding. Like Hunter, I am a committed peace proponent, yet Hunter's descriptions of the scenarios in the Game, along with their class visit to the Pentagon, shifted some long-held biases for me. Like Hunter, I find myself grappling with the role of war in building peace and, although my very being recoils at the thought, perhaps there is a place. I guess that's one of those uncertainties I'll need to confront in the empty space. After I read some Sun Tzu.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Peace-Other-4th-Grade-Achievements/dp/0547905599/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378918280&sr=1-1&keywords=world+peace+and+other+4th+grade+achievements

The game sounds fascinating.

I'd be skeptical of this larger claim that fourth graders "achieve" world peace, if all they do is solve a puzzle he has set them that has achieving world peace as its sole focus and final right answer, not least because games give one the luxury of a kind of detachment that interested parties in real life do not enjoy.

Are the kids pitted against each other in ways that matter to them with what feel to them like finite resources?

If all of the kids involved go on never to pick on another kid, never to hoard something that matters to them, never to take advantage of some advantage they have over someone else, then I'll believe that they've "achieved world peace."

But from just the description here, it seems they've had to solve a really engaging and mind-expanding puzzle that models a real life desideratum. And, as Borachio says, in today's educational milieu that is a good in itself.

it seems they've had to solve a really engaging and mind-expanding puzzle that models a real life desideratum. And, as Borachio says, in today's educational milieu that is a good in itself.

Yup that's what it is. I should also mention that the rules of his game are that they achieve world peace buy solving all the problems and every nation has to have increased it asset value or they all loose. That is certainly an incentive that real world leaders do not have. In any case the book is full of details about the game and it is far from practical for most classrooms and certainly most 4th graders, not to mention most teachers. Still I'm certain it would be pretty awesome to play. Evidently he does summer workshops for adults. Its now on my bucket list.

Having read the book, I'm a bit sceptical that this is actually implementable at all. That a very great deal of the "success" is due to Hunter himself.

If all of the kids involved go on never to pick on another kid, never to hoard something that matters to them, never to take advantage of some advantage they have over someone else, then I'll believe that they've "achieved world peace."
I'm not sure how important this could be. Are you saying that international relationships depend on the quality of interpersonal ones?

It is the commune spirit.

Are the kids pitted against each other in ways that matter to them with what feel to them like finite resources?
from what I understand, yes. But yes in so far as it is yes in today's world. IIRC they do end up going to war with each other and stuff. It was a while ago I saw the video.

I'm not sure how important this could be. Are you saying that international relationships depend on the quality of interpersonal ones?

I want it to be clear I think the game sounds like a really great intellectual exercise.

I'm a little put off by the chosen way of advertising the value of the game: "What you vicious adults haven't been able to achieve since the beginning of time, these inherently-good fourth-graders have achieved in a mere six hours time." "Fourth graders can achieve world peace in a matter of hours, but adults have been messing it up for thousands of years?"

If in setting up the game, Hunter said, "whichever kid wipes the other off the map gets a skateboard", the kids would have done everything in their power to wipe the others off the map. These kids didn't "achieve world peace." They were prompted to play a game toward a certain result and they did so. I don't doubt that it involved all sorts of thinking-outside-the-box and cooperation-instead-of-competition, etc. all good things. But the things that in RL keep humans from achieving world peace aren't just seeing in the abstract that this food-rich country could give some of its food to this food-poor country and deciding to move those counters across the board.

I don't want the cranky part of my response to overwhelm my sense that this was undoubtedly a valuable educational experience. Just shelve the "they achieved world peace" bit. They played a game the way you indicated you wanted them to play it.

Yes. This was pretty much my reaction to it, too.

It's quite a complex set-up though. Perhaps you should read the book?

Hunter distinguishes 7 stages in his game that all the groups go through. (Even though each group emphasizes different aspects of the "World".)

These were:

1. Overload and confusion
2. Failure
3. Personal Understanding
4. Collaboration
5. "Click"
6. Flow
7. Application of understanding.

I want it to be clear I think the game sounds like a really great intellectual exercise.

I'm a little put off by the chosen way of advertising the value of the game: "What you vicious adults haven't been able to achieve since the beginning of time, these inherently-good fourth-graders have achieved in a mere six hours time." "Fourth graders can achieve world peace in a matter of hours, but adults have been messing it up for thousands of years?"

If in setting up the game, Hunter said, "whichever kid wipes the other off the map gets a skateboard", the kids would have done everything in their power to wipe the others off the map. These kids didn't "achieve world peace." They were prompted to play a game toward a certain result and they did so. I don't doubt that it involved all sorts of thinking-outside-the-box and cooperation-instead-of-competition, etc. all good things. But the things that in RL keep humans from achieving world peace aren't just seeing in the abstract that this food-rich country could give some of its food to this food-poor country and deciding to move those counters across the board.

I don't want the cranky part of my response to overwhelm my sense that this was undoubtedly a valuable educational experience. Just shelve the "they achieved world peace" bit. They played a game the way you indicated you wanted them to play it.
IMO, It's just a catchy title that's correct in a narrow interpretation of the phrase. The suggestion that "Fourth graders can achieve world peace in a matter of hours, but adults have been messing it up for thousands of years" is tongue in cheek. He's not suggesting that adults are incompetent.

But note, the reason why his kids achieved world peace, and the world hasn't seems to be because his kids care about each other in a way that world leaders don't care about the world outside their borders. If his simulations are as accurate as they seem, there's a lesson in that, that goes beyond how to teach 4th graders.

Top Bottom