Worst food experiences?

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
For me, it was cereal with water in place of milk. I was staying at my mother's friend's house down in Florida. She's about 102 and doesn't have real milk, but instead some concentrated type used in coffee or for baking. So my mother had the idea of watering it down to make it more like normal milk, because eating cereal dry is travesty in my opinion (why she had cereal but not milk is a question I'm not interested in knowing the answer to).

So I tried it, and rather overshot the mark, the result being the single most horrible monstrosity that has ever passed my tongue. I lost all appetite for breakfast afterwards. And that was hardly cereal with pure water. Ye be warned.

I hate potato pancakes which are very popular in my country so its hard to avoid them. As child parents forced me to eat this and I nearly allways vomited. They still think it was just my choice to do not like them and continue giving it to me while they know I hate them. I will never forgive them.

A giant ant covered in chocolate was quite difficult to keep down. Once you get past the chocolate it is very bitter. And the legs get stuck in your teeth.

I was making mac'n cheese and hamburger helper. Got the mixes mixed up so I had brown macaroni and orange hamburger helper. The cheesy hamburger helper was actually decent, the macaroni was horrible.

Tried out a recipe our daughter brought home from school. I think it was sweet potato pancakes. We had the sweet potatoes, but almost none of the other ingredients, so skipped them or substituted what we thought would work. It was at least edible, but most of it ended in the garbage.

I was out of town on a business trip and decided to get dinner at this fast food Chinese place. I don't remember what I ordered but I remember what it tasted like. It was basically like eating pure salt, only it was rotted somehow which is somewhat ironic because salt is supposed to be a preservative. I took two bites and threw it away and ended upchucking about an hour later. Not fun :(

Chitlins with tequila.

Never again.

Oh yeah. One time I lost at King's Cup and had to drink a mix of:

rum, pepsi, vodka, guinness, kahlua, and milk.

Also sufficient time had passed that the milk had sunk to the bottom of the cup and was beginning to curdle

bleh.

I had just arrived in Canada 2-3 years before this or so and was at my first pot luck at a friend's house. One of the participants was going to be bringing pierogies, which had me excited, because my mom used to make pierogies all the time, but hadn't made any since we moved to Canada.. and now that I think about it, I don't think she made all that many in Germany either..

Meat pierogies were a childhood delicacy.. That's how my mom made them and that's how all pierogies I've ever eaten or heard of arrived: They were either stuffed with pork and spices, mushrooms & cabbage, or strawberries. The mushroom ones were reserved mainly for Christmas and the strawberry ones were a dessert sort of thing, which I did not enjoy at all. Meat was where it was at! If it wasn't Christmas and we weren't eating dessert, there was nothing to expect inside that pierog but meat.

So I'm sitting there, all excited, and I bite into one of these pierogies, expecting sweet sweet pork.. but.. the texture was all wrong! And the taste wasn't there! I spit out what I had in my mouth out and started prodding the pierogies with my fork.. They seemed to.. have some sort of a MASHED POTATO LIKE MIXTURE INSIDE?? WHAT THE HEL!l?$!?$ WHO DARES PLAY SUCH GAMES!?

So I of course started questioning what the F is in the pierogies.. "Uhh.. potato and cheddar".. "WHO THE F PUTS POTATOES IN PIEROGIES!?!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!" Seriously, was this person crazy? Mashed potatoes INSIDE OF PIEROGIES? This was unheard of. This was madness. I asked if it was a joke of some sort and quietly hoped that real pierogies were being hidden from me and that this was all a big practical joke. But nope :(

I calmed down, but my dreams were crushed. I was expecting that sweet sweet childhood amazingness when I bit into that pierog.. But no, instead I was treated with a texture that was completely wrong and a taste that was way off as well. It was wrong. It was 100% WRONG. It was disguisting. It was like picking up what you thought was a glass of water, and downing a bunch of vodka.. I have nothing against vodka, but when you want water, you want water.

I've gotten used to these weird pierogies and now love them. I still prefer meat pierogies, because they are far superior, but cheese pierogies are enjoyable for me now too.

I used to be a picky eater but am not really anymore, I'll sort of dive right in and try new stuff. So I can't really think of any other story that might qualify as "worst food experience". The first potato pierogi experience was just truamatizing, I can't think of any other story to share.

I had just arrived in Canada 2-3 years before this or so and was at my first pot luck at a friend's house. One of the participants was going to be bringing pierogies, which had me excited, because my mom used to make pierogies all the time, but hadn't made any since we moved to Canada.. and now that I think about it, I don't think she made all that many in Germany either..

Meat pierogies were a childhood delicacy.. That's how my mom made them and that's how all pierogies I've ever eaten or heard of arrived: They were either stuffed with pork and spices, mushrooms & cabbage, or strawberries. The mushroom ones were reserved mainly for Christmas and the strawberry ones were a dessert sort of thing, which I did not enjoy at all. Meat was where it was at! If it wasn't Christmas and we weren't eating dessert, there was nothing to expect inside that pierog but meat.

So I'm sitting there, all excited, and I bite into one of these pierogies, expecting sweet sweet pork.. but.. the texture was all wrong! And the taste wasn't there! I spit out what I had in my mouth out and started prodding the pierogies with my fork.. They seemed to.. have some sort of a MASHED POTATO LIKE MIXTURE INSIDE?? WHAT THE HEL!l?$!?$ WHO DARES PLAY SUCH GAMES!?

So I of course started questioning what the F is in the pierogies.. "Uhh.. potato and cheddar".. "WHO THE F PUTS POTATOES IN PIEROGIES!?!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!" Seriously, was this person crazy? Mashed potatoes INSIDE OF PIEROGIES? This was unheard of. This was madness. I asked if it was a joke of some sort and quietly hoped that real pierogies were being hidden from me and that this was all a big practical joke. But nope :(

I calmed down, but my dreams were crushed. I was expecting that sweet sweet childhood amazingness when I bit into that pierog.. But no, instead I was treated with a texture that was completely wrong and a taste that was way off as well. It was wrong. It was 100% WRONG. It was disguisting. It was like picking up what you thought was a glass of water, and downing a bunch of vodka.. I have nothing against vodka, but when you want water, you want water.

I've gotten used to these weird pierogies and now love them. I still prefer meat pierogies, because they are far superior, but cheese pierogies are enjoyable for me now too.

I used to be a picky eater but am not really anymore, I'll sort of dive right in and try new stuff. So I can't really think of any other story that might qualify as "worst food experience". The first potato pierogi experience was just truamatizing, I can't think of any other story to share.

High expectations, low payoff. Not worth 7 paragraphs just to find out you were once surprised with potato instead of meat. I've had similar experiences with bourekas.

High expectations, low payoff. Not worth 7 paragraphs just to find out you were once surprised with potato instead of meat. I've had similar experiences with bourekas.

I guess you won't be able to print and frame my contribution to this thread like you're doing with all the others :dunno:

Not the worst thing I've tasted but it came as a shock when I discovered I had mistaken rye bread for chocolate cake.

Not sure whether it's the worst or not I've had in my life, but one time when I was young I as eating pizza. What I usually like to do with my pizza is eat the cheese first or just take it all off, because to me cheese is the worst part of the pizza and overrated (knot to mention in America extremely oily and greasy and the worst part in terms of health). So after I did that, I did what I usually did - sprinkle a bit of Parmesan on the cheese-less pizza. I sprinkled some Parmesan on, and eagerly began eating... and almost vomited.

Instead of Parmesan I mistakenly grabbed the salt, and sprinkled a crapload of that on.

Being the type of person who doesn't waste food, for various reasons, and figuring the pizza was still theoretically edible, just terrible tasting now, I tried to scrape as much of that salt off, but still had to eat through all that salty mess.

@warpus: you're talking about something sort of like dumplings, right? I know in parts of Europe/central Asia/Caucasus/Middle East/wherever where they make those sort of dumplings they would use potatoes sometimes, especially in parts of Eastern Europe or whenever a vegetarian version of the dumpling was needed (like some Christian feast day I forgot about)

I've only had potato pierogies though I could see how meat ones would be tasty. Strawberry is just mind boggling

NInstead of Parmesan I mistakenly grabbed the salt, and sprinkled a crapload of that on.

Oh man, I distinctly remember putting salt on my mom's delicious potato pancakes, at some point when I was still in highschool. I always always always put sugar on those things. Just sugar.

Unexpected taste sensations can be the worst.

@warpus: you're talking about something sort of like dumplings, right? I know in parts of Europe/central Asia/Caucasus/Middle East/wherever where they make those sort of dumplings they would use potatoes sometimes, especially in parts of Eastern Europe or whenever a vegetarian version of the dumpling was needed (like some Christian feast day I forgot about)

Yeah, apparently pierogies with potato in them are common enough in Poland too. It's just that they are not the most popular kind.. and I've never heard of them at all until moving to Canada.

1) Tea mistakenely "sweetened" with salt.

2) Dumplings filled with meat from a supermarket - "meat" which apparently was not as "meatish" as it should be...

Since that time I never buy dumplings with meat (only other kinds of dumplings). But of course home-made pierogies with meat are safe, or from a restaurant.

3) Apparently not fresh Seafood in Tunisia... Later I had to spend some time in the toilet due to that...

Top Bottom