1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like to see the Civ II style advisors make their return?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by MrRadar, May 23, 2016.

1. Acken

Acken Deity

Who wants to take advices from an AI.

2. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

I always settle where the AI tells me to. Settle Icon in the middle of a desert with 1 Oasis and 2 Hills? Count me in!

3. Acken

Acken Deity

At least settling randomly in CivBE works ! Now it all makes sense :D

4. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

And now Firaxis will hire Bioware to make the advisors...

5. m15a

m15a Emperor

I think even after playing Civ I-IV, I'd still take advice from advisors at some point in Civ V, and I'd do so again in Civ VI. It might not be the best advice, and from past games I *know* it's unlikely to be good advice, but it's a useful learning tool. And of course it's a bigger learning tool if you've never played Civ before.

But all that said, the advice is still only useful for the first few times you encounter a decision. Unless the advisors have access to information the player doesn't have (military strength of other civs) or is keeping an eye on something the player isn't (like resources other civs have available for trade).

6. Acken

Acken Deity

Always felt their advice to be so random itmight have been as good to throw a dice :p

7. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

It's dangerous advise though. Especially in Civ 2 - if I remember correctly the military advisor basically always tells you to build more units until you're way stronger than your opponents... at which point he instantly swaps to telling you that you're wasting money by having such a big army and not conquering. :D

That's what I liked them for though. They're hardly ever really telling you anything useful and instead actively try to lead you down the wrong paths by over-advocating for the things they care about.

Just like lobbyists do in real life.

8. m15a

m15a Emperor

I have to buy dice to play Civ, too! Man, they really nickel-and-dime the customer, don't they?

Seriously, though, I think there are really three types of advice. (1) The tutorial type advice "you only have 1 city - more are better" or "your city isn't growing - a granary will help you grow!", which is useful if you don't know what you're doing and obvious otherwise. (2) The might-as-well-throw-dice advice - "build more knights. just cuz", which is maybe fun from a roleplay perspective, but useless or destructive from a tutorial perspective. And (3) The keep-an-eye-on-things advice - "don't forget to take your city out of starvation mode" or "look at all those enemy units at your border".

9. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

Hmm, seems like we're talking at how it will be if Civ2 advisor was ported into Civ6 as is...

Ideal advisor in Civ6, as I imagine it, would serve the purpose of giving a player something more of a few funny perspective of your empire. AI advice's won't be useful at all after several playthough of the game and more like a stress relief

I don't think the advisor is actually useful unless they present crucial data that is hidden from player's view, and I for one, don't want to see those advisor to be "too useful" at harder level of the game.

and (4) Computer is cheating : "Our intelligent report that a civ with equal number of civ, technology and not at war with anyone having really weak military. Do you want to do something with them?"

EDIT : and that sound like a feature that should belong to espionage.

10. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Right, which is why I think advisors should be more focused on charts and providing statistics. Military/trade advisors might advise on things like the 'strongest' unit an AI civ has to give players an idea of relative technological gap in military, and trade advisors advising what trades are available is often welcome.

Civ3 had the right idea. The advisor screens provide tons of info-graphics, lists etc. and they're integrated with comments. Civ5 went back to the Civ2 detaching advisors from the charts, and it was a step back.

11. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

This feature going into espionage would be its greatest chance of actually occu-

Ladies and gentlemen we are witnessing... the strategy genre's first ship (out of water).

Inb4 Civ is not a visual novel

Civ should be a visual novel. Market to all the Intelligent Systems fans.

(This post could have been funnier. It'll get done in expansions.)

edit: Civ 6 out for Playstation 4, confirmed secret BlazBlue expansion

12. dexters

Cleo is my waifu

13. ezysquire

ezysquire Warlord

thanks for the post, great memories!

14. ezysquire

ezysquire Warlord

hah classic, thanks for the post!
    (sorry for double-up :crazyeye:)

15. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

In the end of the day i don't really care about advisors as I am not likely to use them, but then I have been playing since Civ1 so for a new player they might be very important

16. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Civ II has the best advisors ever made in the series. I want them back and even improved in Civ VI.

I also like how the advisors were shown in the dilpo screen in Civ I.

17. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

To be honest I consider advisors to be a waste of resources and UI space that could be invested in something more interesting/impactful/helpful/climatic.

Civ5 advisors sucked and while Civ2 advisors are funny I'd rather prefer effort needed to put something similar be instead invested in adding some more interactive character to the game.

18. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

At least in the version of the game we've seen, the advisor is just a faceless text dialog.

19. dexters

Civ3 did it well. The advisors are integrated into the info screens. We still get repetitive advice but the military advisor in Civ3 gave useful info. Including immersion elements like saying X civ fears your Y unit if you've used a particular unit to do a lot of damage.

The presentation of the Civ3 info screens also looked great.

P.s. There is also a trade advisor that brings up your history with each leader when negotiating.

20. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Now that you mention it, yes. III's were actually useful.

II's were entertaining, especially Elvis. I might actually pay extra for them.