1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Thread: Civilopedia

Discussion in 'Fall Further' started by warriorofala, Jun 3, 2009.

1. warriorofala

warriorofala Chieftain

Moar:

Motherlode, Khazad Worldspell

Deep in the Underhome, there is a cavern held most sacred by the children of Kilmorph. Within lies a massive crystal of Earth mana, the largest ever found by the Khazad in their underground expeditions. To the dwarves, this crystal was a blessing from the Earth Mother.

When they first struck into the cavern, the latent mana seeped out into the rest of the Underhome. Veins of gold literally grew into the rock, simultaneously enriching and endangering the dwarves as their halls came under assault from the shifting earth. From then onwards, only the highest of the priesthood of the dwarves is permitted within the hallowed chamber, for such power is not to be manipulated on a whim.

Now that the Khazad have begun their quest to establish an empire upon the surface of Erebus, perhaps the dwarves may have a reason to release the power of the Motherlode once more. The land itself will rise, and mines will run with a temporary but bountiful river of gold on the command of the Khazad leader. Surely the Khazad will have a use for their newly-arrived wealth; whether for war or peace.

Howitzer

Though the Organ Gun's engineering is impressive, sometimes the best inventions come from the simplest design decisions. When time and technology permitted another foray into the science of artillery, Mechanos scientists went back to their timeless motto: "Bigger and Faster".

The tried-and-true design of the cannon was the starting point. While the Organ Gun's multiple barrels brought a lot of firepower to the battlefield, the gun's caliber had to be reduced in order to compensate for recoil. Working backwards from this fact, the new design instead used a larger caliber with a proportionally larger frame.While such a massive gun would be considered too heavy to move in the past, recent discoveries in gunpowder refining and metallurgy ensure that the gun would be mobile and accurate enough to use in any battle.

Named the Howitzer, this massive artillery piece is the masterpiece of Mechanos engineering. Walls will fall even faster than before; and with its large caliber shot, increased range, and light frame, the Howitzer can outmaneuver and outshoot any artillery piece the enemies of the Mechanos can field.

2. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

I like this.

Makes me think the Khazad worldspell should scrap the silly 25 gold per mine idea, and instead give all your mines a significant chance to find a new metal resource. Gold Veins appearing all over your empire :D

3. Randomness

Randomness ...

Prehaps with the chance of some improvements and building being destroyed?...

4. lemonjelly

lemonjelly Modding For Ethne

Yeahh I like that idea, it seems better, especially with that great pedia entry! :D

5. warriorofala

warriorofala Chieftain

Technologies:

Alchemy

"Lead into gold? Is that what all you merchants think about all the time? Of course we can do that, but think of larger possibilities! What we've managed to do here is take one step closer to those pretender Gods!" - Edward Boyle, Mechanos Alchemist, to his investors

Horseback Riding

"We Hippus are known for our mercenary trade; but we are riders before we are warriors. A Hippus who does not know how to work the reins is no true Hippus." - Captain Ostanes

Armoured Cavalry

"Every time those Bannor knights charge the lines, my faith in the musket is tested. So far it hasn't disappointed me, but experience taught me that a rider with enough steel can beat the most complex technology through sheer, feral force." - Lieutenant Morris, Mechanos Officer

Bronze Working

"Tin and copper make bronze. Mother Kilmorph taught me this, and in turn I taught it to every succeeding generation of dwarves. To you it may seem simple, but this is the greatest gift She had given us: the art of metalworking. With it, the very earth is ours to shape. " - Bambur

Engineering

"Building a wall, forging a sword, planning a city: all these are well and good. But when you decide to see what could be better about what you're making and make those changes, that's when you graduate from 'labourer' to 'innovator'." - Leonard Wright, Mechanos Inventor

Iron Working

"Never cut corners, lad. As a blacksmith in the employ of the military, never forget that your work can determine whether our soldiers live or die out there on the battlefield. You cut corners, you cut their lives short." - Keldorn, Bannor Blacksmith, to his apprentice

Dark Secrets

"You know, it's quite amazing what one can do with a pinch of ash." - Lord D'Tesh

6. warriorofala

warriorofala Chieftain

Moar:

Ironclad, Dwarven Ship

"One thing's for sure: if it ain't going to sink us, it's going to sink itself." - Shipwright Jones of the Lanun vessel 'Danalin's Hand'

Ever since they left the Underhome, the Khazad had to learn all the nuances of mercantilism and trade. One of these is the power of merchant shipping: masses of goods and luxuries can often be sold overseas for greater profit than peddling them to nearby nations.

However, where profit goes, so too will thieves. Foremost of these sea dogs are the Lanun, whose expertise with naval combat have earned them a reputation amongst sea traders as the pirates of Erebus. One could even say that the Lanun have built an empire on dwarven gold.

Not to be deterred by the seafaring Lanun in their quest for profit, the Khazad have commisioned a new type of ship to protect their sealanes. With a light but strong metal alloy covering the ship's hull and an extra cannon deck in lieu of a cargo hold, the Ironclad is an indomitable force on the seas. It may not look seaworthy, but this leviathan can outshoot and outsail the biggest ships the enemy of the Khazad can build.

Pillar of Creation, Mechanos Worldspell

"From the outskirts of Vaul, one can see a great spiraling tower rising from the cityscape. This is what the Mechanos call the Pillar of Creation: an attempt to reach the Heavens through a massive construction project. It already stands twice the height of the tallest smokestacks in the city, but when I saw it up close, there were still people and constructs hauling materials up the ramp.

When I asked the Mechana Excelsior Maer about this, she replied that the Pillar was to be continuously built. In times of war or other necessities, they would reduce the workforce to an eighth; but she assured me that someone would always be raising that tower ever higher.

Risking offending my mechanical hosts, I asked Maer if the tower could even reach the Heavens before collapsing. Some of her colleagues' faces frowned; they guessed the insinuations that hid beneath my question. But Maer turned to me and smiled.

'Up there lies the hope of every Mechanos. When I look at that tower, I do not think of what is impossible; I think of what we can accomplish on our own power.

Look around you, traveller. It may not be like the serene forest-cities of the Elves nor the magnificent enclaves of the Kuriotates, but I know that you were awed by the marvels we Mechanos have created. In every brick and every mechanism of that tower is our spirit; our soul as a nation.

Right now it may seem like a foolish endeavour, but that tower will forever rise as long we Mechanos live and think. One day, traveller, that tower will reach the Heavens.'"

- excerpt from Deidra's journal

7. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

The pillar of creation needs to be taller

8. warriorofala

warriorofala Chieftain

Eh, I just picked out a random tall-sounding description out of the air. Anyone's free to change that part.

I'm surprised no-one wants Rule 34 of Maer and Deidra.

9. deadliver

deadliver Loud Mouth Amateur

Lol I like the quote for the Ironclad.

10. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Spoiler War Tortoise :
    When the Hippus first heard that the Lanun were fielding tortoises in combat, they responded with laughter, wondering just how the Lanun expected to win a battle with something so profoundly ridiculous.

After witnessing the Lanun War Tortoises in action, and discovering they had a particular appetite for horseflesh, the laughter stopped.

A War Tortoise is essentially a small, armored bunker built atop one of the Giant Tortoises that roam the seas and prove the bane of many a captain. Giant Tortoises are, in of themselves, startlingly deadly creatures, capable of wrecking ships, crushing and swallowing a fully armored centaur in a single bite, and striking anything that gets too close to their mouths before their victim has a chance to react. Add to that a Lanun rider, goading the beast into moving with unnerving speed, and you have a weapon that can change the tide of war and render a mountain pass practically impassable. How the Lanun managed to tame and control the foul-tempered beasts is a closely guarded secret, and other Lanun forces generally give the War Tortoises a wide berth, often fearing the creatures more than their own enemies.

11. Guybrush!

Guybrush! Swa/Hyd/Ins/Cha/Cre

My. God. Not even Civfanatics can escape rule 34!

12. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Spoiler Shadow Mana :
    A word of advice about the Illusions and Shadows class. Don't even waste your time studying for the final; it's nearly impossible for even experienced magi. The real final is simply stealing a copy of the answers. Well, maybe not "simply;" getting those answers out of Magus Lyn's office will require you to use nearly every trick she taught you. Or, for a small fee, I could do the footwork for you... -Adept Morin

13. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Yes Adept Morin is back!!!!!

More seriously, i may use him for an event, Can I ?

14. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Help yourself.

15. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Is there a list of missing articles to work from, or is this more 'find and plug'?

16. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Find and Plug, until someone who is interested in the project, but has no writing skills, decides to contribute by compiling such a list (well, even someone with writing skills could do it, but data sorters and writers rarely occur in the same person)

17. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

I'm still on summer break, and I've burned out on my latest Grigori game (stop getting such a decisive lead!). It shouldn't be too hard to go through one category or another.

Any preferences of where to start? Spells, resources, heroes? Unique Features/terrain improvements?

18. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Apparently, I must not be a writing person.

This is a list of pretty much every civlopedia section except base units and buildings.

A quick key:
    L means lore (background)
    S means Strategy (could be useful, if it's not obvious from the stats)

And starting the list

Rituals: All rituals could use some sort of background/lore as well as a description of the game effects.

Appease Divinity
    Dowsing
    Elegy of the Sheaim
    Hallowing of Elohim
    Prepare Expedition
    Chosen of Esus
    Curse the Land
    Light of Lugus
    Mana Surge
    Pax Diabolis
    Purge the Unfaithful
    Ascension
    Bande Divine
    Birthright Regained
    Blood of the Phoenix
    Genesis
    Glory Everlasting
    Nature's Revolt
    Rites of Oghma
    Samhain
    Stir From Slumber
    The Deepening
    The Draw
    The White Hand

Civics: Only the Under and Over Councils have background. Everything else could take Lore.

Agrarianism
    Apprenticeship
    Arete
    Aristocracy
    Blood and Sacrifice*
    Caste System
    City States
    Conquest
    Consumption
    Crusade
    Decentralization
    Despotism
    Foreign Trade
    Glory
    God King
    Guardian of Nature
    Guilds
    Industry
    Liberty
    Lost Lands*
    Mercantilism
    Military state
    Nationhood
    -No Membership-
    Pacifism
    Religion
    Republic
    Sacrifice the Weak
    Scholarship
    Slavery
    Social Order
    Theocracy
    Traditions
    Tribal Law
    Tribalism

*Already have some brief background, but could stand to be expanded

Corporations: They already have some, but I thought they might be expanded with a quote of someone about them, like technologies.

Fabricaforma
    Farmer's Guild
    Kingfisher Brotherhood
    Masquerade
    Stonefire Guild

Items: None of them have any lore/bacground, just effects, but then there's no real lore space either. I can make a list if someone's interested in putting in brief history/lore in it.

Improvements: Nodes could bear to be edited to show the benefits their mana gives the civilization (like Law Mana gives -5% to maintence), but otherwise like items there's no real space for much.

Resources: Nearly all resources from Vanilla civ could use being edited for FFH. That includes bananas, deer, cotton...

Unique Feature
    Foxford has broken text in the background section. I guess that needs more of a fix than an addition.

Terrain Features: All could stand some added FFH-esque lore/description/perspective.

Ancient Forest
    Blizzard
    Burnt Forest
    Door
    Fallout
    Flames
    Flood Plain
    Forest
    Haunted Lands
    Ice
    Jungles
    New Forest
    Oasis
    Obsidian Planes
    Scrubs
    Tormented Souls
    Volcano
    Walls

Base Terrain: Same thing
    Blackwater
    Blighted Coast
    Broken Lands
    Burning Sands
    Coast
    Desert
    Fields of Perdition
    Grassland
    Ice
    Marsh
    Ocean
    Plains
    Shallows
    Tundra

Technology:
    Armored Cavalry needs it's qutoe text fixed

Heroes:
    Auric Ascended: SL
    Chalid Astrkein: SL
    Gaelan: SL (He comes from the rampant adept series of events)
    Gibbon Goetia: SL
    Gurid: SL
    Margalard: SL
    Magnadine: L
    Melante*: Expand L, Needs S
    Pelemoc*: Expand L, Needs S
    Themoc*: Expand L, Needs S
    Teutroix: SL
    Sailors Dirge, Apocalypse Units**: S

* The use of the Scion Dark Council Units deserves a strategy explanation, rather than hunting through the effects of each of their abilities

**Deadly world units like the Sailors Dirge, Gurid, Margalard, and Leviathan, and Apocalypse Units especially, could stand some tips on how to counter/avoid them, and what the benefits for fighting them are. So for the world beast/animal units (including Acheron), pointing out that if you capture them, you can use their power for yourself. For the Apocalypse units, ideal promotions or countermeasures (like Loyalty against Stephanos and the Avatar of Wrath, or the Pool of Tears against the plague-one) would be helpful. Also, mentioning the apocolypse unit special equipment you can get after defeating them would also be good.

Wonders: Most (too many to list) don't have any sort of Strategy listed, leaving it to the player to get the right idea for the benefits. I mainly focused on ones without lore/background, though SL implies a complete absense of either.

Aquae Sucellus: L
    Bone Palace: Clarification. Is the magic defense bonus limited to the city, or is it a city-built unit advantage? If limited to the city, a S pointing out it's best in a city where magical fights may occur.
    Caminus Aureus: SL
    Catacomb Libralus: SL
    Celestial Compas: SL
    City of a Thousand Slums: SL
    Crown of Akharien: L
    Deruptus Brewing House: L is S, Needs L
    Dragon's Horde: L is S, need L
    Form of the Titan: SL
    Grand Managerie: L is S, needs L
    Guild of the Nine: SL
    Heron Throne: SL
    Mines of Gal-Dur: SL
    Order of the Wyvern: SL
    Ride of the Nine Kings: SL
    Shrine of Sirona: L is S, need L.
    Soul Forge: L is S, need L.
    Soul Forge: L is S, need L.
    Summer Palace: SL
    Eyes and Ears Network: L
    Great Lighthouse: L? (Can't tell if it's ripped from Vanilla or not)
    The Nexus: SL
    Theatre of Dreams: SL
    Tower of Complacency: L is S, needs L
    Tower of Eyes: SL
    Winter Palace: SL

Religous Shrines: None have S, all but Code of Junil and Stigmata on the Unborn need L. Just for completeness, listing all the shrines.

Code of Junil
    Dies Diei: L
    Nox Noctis: L
    Song of Autumn: L
    Stigmata on the Unborn
    Tablets of Bambur: L
    Necronomicon: L (as an aside, why is the Book of the Dead OO? It seems far more infernal/hellish than OO)

The Towers of the Tower victory all deserve L, as well as S. Some Great Sage quotes even reference them. And as a side note deserving to be mentioned in the civlopedia, do you keep the towers even if you change/lose the mana required to build them? (Do you need a minimum of six mana nodes including one metamagic to get a set of five, build the Tower, then change the nodes to build the next tower? You lose access to the mana for spells, yes, but do you keep the Towers?)

Tower of Alteration: L
    Tower of Divination: L
    Tower of Necromancy: L
    Tower of the Elements: L
    Tower of Mastery: L, though I don't think it was ever decided what exactly it did or why it won.

19. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

All units listed eihter have no lore/background text, background text that is actually just more strategy text, broken text, or similar non-background info. A few, specially noted, don't list requirements to produce them.

Adventurer
    Air Elemental
    Airship
    Arcane Barge
    Baby Spider
    Battering Ram*
    Bear
    Beast Master
    Bedouin
    Captain
    Centaur
    Centaur Archer
    Centaur Charger
    Centaur Guard
    Centaur Lancer
    Champion
    Chanter
    Chaos Marauder
    Confessor
    Cultist
    Dervish
    Dwarven Slinger
    Earth Elemental
    Eater of Dreams
    Elephant
    Eternal
    Flagbearer
    Giant Tortoise
    Gorilla
    Griffon
    Herald
    High Priest of Leaves
    High Priest of Winter
    Hill Giant
    Horsemen
    Ice Elemental
    Illusionist
    Immortal
    Ira
    Javelin Thrower
    Jotnar Settler
    Kraken
    Lightening elemental
    Lunatic
    Lunnotar: S (I think it deserves a strategy mention of what makes it special)
    Luridus
    Mage
    Malignant Flora
    Manticore
    Meteor
    Minnotaur
    Mistform
    Mobius Witrch
    Mud Golem
    Necromancer
    Nyxkin
    Ogre
    Ophanim
    Orc Conscript
    Paladin
    Pegasis*
    Pit Beast
    Priest of Leaves
    Privateer
    Profane
    Puppet
    Pyre Zombie
    Radiant Guard
    Ritualist
    Royal Guard
    Rune Keeper
    Sea Serpent (both)
    Sect of Flies
    Seraph
    Shade (+ needs requirements)
    Shadow
    Shadowrider
    Shore Party
    Skeleton
    Slave
    Soldier of Kilimorph
    Speaker
    Spectre
    Stoneskin Ogre
    Stone Warden
    Stygian Guard
    Succubus
    Supplies
    Tactician
    Tiger
    Titan
    Tracker
    Valkyrie
    Vampire Lord
    Vicar
    War Tortoise
    Warchief
    Wizard
    Wolf
    Worker

20. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

It's from H.P Lovecarfts books, were the Necronomicon was information on the Elder Things, or what ever they were called, which OO is based off of.

It could also be based off of the Necrotelicomnicon, witten by Achmed the "I Just Get These Headaches", of Klatch, who also wrote "Achmed The "I Just Get These Headache's" Book of Humorous Cat Stories".